Winter Brews | The Boneyard

Winter Brews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The temperature drops and brewers get creative this time of year.

Founder's Breakfast Stout is one that gets a lot of people's juices going.

I'm not the biggest fan of Stouts, but if you are look for a couple of the highest rated beers around.

“It’s a meal in a glass,” boasts the new ad in Beer Advocate magazine. Chocolate, oatmeal and coffee certainly make for a rich, robust stout as long as they’re incorporated correctly. In the case of Founders Breakfast Stout, it lives up to its own hype.

One of the most anticipated releases each year, Breakfast Stout is one of those rare beers that seems to know no enemies. Very few beers can boast a perfect 100-point average score by the site founders and members of Beeradvocate.com — the go-to online resource for beer and progenitor of the previously mentioned magazine.

There’s a bolder version — Bourbon barrel-aged — called Kentucky Breakfast Stout that’s even rarer and more highly anticipated. Good luck finding any. It’s released once a year only at the brewery in Michigan. People stake out their place in line like it’s a “Star Wars” premiere or iPhone release.

bilde.jpeg

http://www.pnj.com/article/20131204...010/Beer-Garden-Founders-Breakfast-Stout-good

Reaction Score

I'm not the biggest fan of Stouts, but if you are look for a couple of the highest rated beers around.

“It’s a meal in a glass,” boasts the new ad in Beer Advocate magazine. Chocolate, oatmeal and coffee certainly make for a rich, robust stout as long as they’re incorporated correctly. In the case of Founders Breakfast Stout, it lives up to its own hype.

One of the most anticipated releases each year, Breakfast Stout is one of those rare beers that seems to know no enemies. Very few beers can boast a perfect 100-point average score by the site founders and members of Beeradvocate.com — the go-to online resource for beer and progenitor of the previously mentioned magazine.

There’s a bolder version — Bourbon barrel-aged — called Kentucky Breakfast Stout that’s even rarer and more highly anticipated. Good luck finding any. It’s released once a year only at the brewery in Michigan. People stake out their place in line like it’s a “Star Wars” premiere or iPhone release.

View attachment 4374

http://www.pnj.com/article/20131204...010/Beer-Garden-Founders-Breakfast-Stout-good

eh, I'll take one of these and be happy

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/michelob_ultra.jpg

Reaction Score
If you like Beer, Chocolate and Coffee, Founders Breakfast Stout was made for you. A truly phenomenal beer!

Another local stout I like this time of year is Bar Harbor Stout.

For seasonal/winter/Christmas beers - Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and the 2013 Anchor Our Special Ale are fantastic.

Reaction Score
Chin... don't succumb to that. There are delicious low ABV beers out there that don't sacrifice taste. I strongly encourage you to check out the beers of Notch Brewing Company.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chin... don't succumb to that. There are delicious low ABV beers out there that don't sacrifice taste. I strongly encourage you to check out the beers of Notch Brewing Company.
It's not the ABV, it's the calories!!

I have to look around to find some lower cal good tlasting brews.

I've been enjoying Sailor Jerry and Ocean Spray ruby red grapefruit lately. It"s practically health food.

Reaction Score
It's not the ABV, it's the calories!!

I have to look around to find some lower cal good tlasting brews.

I've been enjoying Sailor Jerry and Ocean Spray ruby red grapefruit lately. It"s practically health food.
I realize that. A lower ABV normally equates to lower calories. All of the Notch Beers are under 140 calories, if that is your concern.

Reaction Score
Wachusettes makes a nice light IPA that comes in around 120 calories. Much more flavorful that your traditional light beers. I haven't been able to find it at too many places but Manchester Liquors usually carries it.

Reaction Score
As for my favorite Winter Seasonal Brew, I'd have to go with Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale.

Reaction Score
Chin - you might think think this is blasphemy but Vernors diet ginger ale is almost ( note "almost") as good as a good beer. And IMO Vernors is much better than all light beers.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Leinenkuegel (sp) has a Snowdrift Vanilla Porter which is very good.

Reaction Score
When I first had the Breakfast Stout, I was in heaven.

For my wedding a couple of years ago, I brewed a coffee-oatmeal stout (it was an early wedding--maximizing partying), and so Founder's stout was both reminiscient of that much loved beer, but also much better and richer (even though mine was pretty solid). Just a great great beer.

Reaction Score
Got the otter creek seasonal box before the Rutgers game expecting sweet winter brews but it was seasonal sampler as in one from each season. @__@

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had a friend recommend Shiner Cheers for a good holiday brew.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
Troegs Mad Elf if you can find it. I had to ask the liquor store owner if they had any, they keep it stashed away to avoid having it disappear before Thanksgiving. Rationed out in 6 packs.... You will not be disappointed....

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Man I had this thread bookmarked for a happy hour trip to the Yardhouse on Tuesday, I am disappointed to see that none of the beers mentioned seem to be on tap. Hopefully their seasonal menu will have some additions. Has anyone tried the leinenkugel sunset wheat?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've had the Leinenkugel's sunset wheat... honestly I can't remember it enough to give you a good review.. I'll tell you this much though... the only Leinie I've hated is their most popular... I can't stand their Summer Shandy.

I used to only drink porters and stouts... couldn't get enough... now they're just to heavy. I still like a one now and again... I'm much more into Belgian style ales... which I used to not be a fan of... I now chalk up to ignorance. :D Allagash Four is my current favorite.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score

View attachment 4374

Great recommendation I tried it last night and will be buying more of it for Saturday

Reaction Score
Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Colorado beer, but may make it onto a good tap list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom