Wings waive Saniya | The Boneyard

Wings waive Saniya

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm impressed she made it a full season and into a 2nd one....she was picked in the third round of a dreadfully weak draft and was able to stick while players who were 1st rounders were cut midseason or before the 2nd season. Heck, she made the team this year over the #3 draft pick from the same class. Even if she doesn't play another game in the W, she's accomplished more as a pro than I thought she would.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not surprised. Saniya hasn't played that well although her minutes have been very limited. The Wings will need to sign someone to back up Diggins.

Meanwhile last season's ROY is also struggling, shooting 33% on FGs and 9% on 3FGs.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Odds are slim she will play this year in the WNBA, but she could get another good season overseas. In any event, this was my favorite Saniya game.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
This shocks me. Saniya seems like a great teammate and her defense is very good. She needed to be more aggressive on offense, but she played fairly well in limited minutes. Given the attitude of some of the Wings, she filled an important role as a team-first player. She could have been an increasingly positive influence on the Wings going forward. I wish her well, and wonder what Romero brings besides uncertainty. Chong was a known quantity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not surprised. Saniya hasn't played that well although her minutes have been very limited. The Wings will need to sign someone to back up Diggins.

Meanwhile last season's ROY is also struggling, shooting 33% on FGs and 9% on 3FGs.

I've been following Saniya closely since she made the cut last year. You're correct. So far this season, she has failed to impress. She performed very well over seas in Israel this past winter. Unfortunately, she was not able to transfer that success over to the W. Fred Williams (Wings head coach) gave her every opportunity to do so, and prove that she belonged. Remember, she was a rare 3rd round selection last year that made the cut. Third round picks seldom make the roster.

The wings (2-3) are looking for more scoring from their bench. Chong was averaging 8.6 minutes/0.8 pts. a game in 5 games. Romero is expected to bring more energy and more scoring off the Wing's bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've been following Saniya closely since she made the cut last year. You're correct. So far this season, she has failed to impress. She performed very well over seas in Israel this past winter. Unfortunately, she was not able to transfer that success over to the W. Fred Williams (Wings head coach) gave her every opportunity to do so, and prove that she belonged. Remember, she was a rare 3rd round selection last year that made the cut. Third round picks seldom make the roster.

The wings (2-3) are looking for more scoring from their bench. Chong was averaging 8.6 minutes/0.8 pts. a game in 5 games. Romero is expected to bring more energy and more scoring off the Wing's bench.
Skylar, Kaela, and Alisha jack up a lot of shots. Do they really want more of that? Saniya was the player who knew what a good shot was. She was maybe a little reluctant to shoot, but she played smart in my opinion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This shocks me. Saniya seems like a great teammate and her defense is very good. She needed to be more aggressive on offense, but she played fairly well in limited minutes. Given the attitude of some of the Wings, she filled an important role as a team-first player. She could have been an increasingly positive influence on the Wings going forward. I wish her well, and wonder what Romero brings besides uncertainty. Chong was a known quantity.
I don’t always agree with my N.D. friends, but I sure do in this case. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Gray continued her hot play from the NCAAs to her rookie season. How she is playing now is closer to what I expected. Hopefully, she’ll get her groove back.

Reaction Score
Gray continued her hot play from the NCAAs to her rookie season. How she is playing now is closer to what I expected. Hopefully, she’ll get her groove back.

Agreed. She has been rocky this year. To her argument she didn’t play overseas this past year due to finishing up her degree at USC, so she may be a little rusty. Whatever it is I hope she gets out of that slump and playing with the attitude she had last season!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm with Kaizen. I got into the W just because of Saniya. But I like the league. I'll be following the Sky, Liberty, and Sun, but not the Wings. I've never been a big Stevens fan.

I'm with those who have said that the Wings have a lot of players who jack up a lot of shots, they don't need Saniya to do that. They have crap defense, which she helped. They commit a lot of turnovers, which she helped. She's been disruptive to the opponents this season. She hasn't been credited with a lot of steals, but she's forced opponents into a lot of turnovers. Fred can have his high-energy offense, but if they don't defend, they'll never go far into the playoffs.

Now I can go back to rooting against Skylar Diggins and Glory Johnson.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm with Kaizen. I got into the W just because of Saniya. But I like the league. I'll be following the Sky, Liberty, and Sun, but not the Wings. I've never been a big Stevens fan.
Me too. Plus Kiah Stokes. And Stewie.

Reaction Score
The last game she played in I noticed her passes were shaky. No offense period. Still surprising. I think being 2-3 and her having a bad game made them think changes were in order. Romero wasn’t great out of college. Maybe she has developed. Maybe they should have kept Goodwin. Wings have good athletes and are exciting. Liz Cambage is a basket case though Not impressed though I was at first until I saw her princess attitude. What a whiner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom