Win ONE for the ______. | The Boneyard

Win ONE for the ______.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted a little of these thoughts right after Natalie went down, but resisted posting since or elaborating on the idea in respect of the Mojo gods. Now that the season has ended ...
The is the reason why the classic statement is 'win one of the Gipper'. The emotional strength of that sentiment is real and it can lead to truly amazing feats in athletic competition and individuals and team 'rising to the occasion' and performing better than anyone thought possible. But stretch that out to more than one contest and it is almost impossible to sustain.
What ND accomplished in the semi-final was incredible - they played one of if not their best team game of the year (helped by MD not showing up, but that doesn't diminish the way they dominated inside and out.) That effort truly was amazing. But I always felt that was going to be the easy game to play on that emotional high of 'winning one for Natalie'. The problem was to come back two days later and not suffer the valley everyone experiences after such a high, but regain the same height.
Adrenaline and emotional highs real are similar to illicit drugs in that regard - flying high for a while and then crashing through the floor.
I think that really is the story of ND's final four.
And it is not dissimilar to the high they got two years running (and Stanford has experienced, too) by 'beating Uconn' in the semis but then stumbling in the following NC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits
Top Bottom