OT: - Will Winthrop Finish Season Undefeated? | The Boneyard

OT: Will Winthrop Finish Season Undefeated?

Reaction Score
At 15-0 and six games remaining in the Big South, Winthrop is statistically the most likely team to enter March Madness undefeated.

Yes, the Big South is a weak conference, but they have some good non-con wins over Furman (87), Little Rock (161) and UNC-Greensboro (116).

Starting tomorrow, they play their toughest four-game conference stretch playing 3rd place UNC-Asheville on Thursday and Friday and 2nd place Radford the following Thursday and Friday.

What makes Winthrop special?

• They play the 5th fastest tempo in the NCAA
  • They have the 29th best FG% in the NCAA (54.8%)
  • They cause turnovers in 22.6% of their defensive possessions, which is 31st in the nation.
  • Their opponents snare just 21% of offensive rebound opportunities, which is 12th in the nation.
  • They are deep. 11 players average at least 11 minutes-per-game.
  • Their bench plays 41.3% of their minutes, which is 16th in the nation.
  • Their best player is their 6'7 senior point guard Chandler Vaudrin. Vaudrin averages 12.6p, 6.9r, 7.6a, 1.5s and 37.5 3p%. Vaudrin is only player on Winthrop who averages more than 25 miniutes-per-game (he averages 32.2 mpg).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know who Winthrop is or their level of competition, but still I congratulate them on this feat. I will look forward to watching them in the Tourney if they enter undefeated.

(I once played on an undefeated team, it ain't easy regardless of the competition).

Reaction Score
Wow I’ve been bad about following any teams outside of the Huskies. Thanks for sharing this..... Pat Kelsey went to my high school and played on the last state champions team we’ve had. I’ll definitely tune in if I get a chance ?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Watch them lose in the conference tournament and get left out in favor of a 12-12 Rutgers or 15-10 Duke team

Reaction Score
The Eagles, nice. I have passed by the school on the highway a few times. I hope they make it all the way with no losses!

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Where's the love for 15-0 Drake out of the Valley too? Best stat I read yesterday was not only is Drake 15-0, but their 13-0 against the spread having played 2 non-D1 games as well.

Valley is deeper than the Big South, but Drake v Loyola-Chicago will be must watch mid-major hoops on Valentines weekend (COVID permitting...)

Reaction Score
Where's the love for 15-0 Drake out of the Valley too? Best stat I read yesterday was not only is Drake 15-0, but their 13-0 against the spread having played 2 non-D1 games as well.

Valley is deeper than the Big South, but Drake v Loyola-Chicago will be must watch mid-major hoops on Valentines weekend (COVID permitting...)
There’s love, no doubt.

BUT, two games apiece against Loyola-Chi, Bradley and UNI are a tougher draw than the teams Winthrop has to play.

Drake has longevity too: DeVries is a top-100 ‘21 recruit.

Reaction Score
I jinxed it.

Winthrop squandered an 8 point lead against UNC-Asheville with 3 minutes to go.

Weird ending: with six seconds to go and down 2, Winthrop's point guard was guarded heavily and jacked up a half-court shot to draw contact but the foul was before the shot.

Making the first, he purposely missed the second setting up a perfect offensive board but the put-back rimmed out. Another Winthrop player rebounded the ball and got fouled before the shot, made the first and purposely missed the second. Winthrop's best player, Chandler Vaudrin got the offensive board on the baseline and tried a behind the backboard game-winning shot, no dice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom