Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Loss of scholarship or 2 only

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The more time that quietly goes by, you have to wonder if UNC will receive any kind of real punishment for a huge academic scandal. Just last week Battier and Jay Williams were doing a segment with 2 UNC players on how to post and feed the post. Can you imagine if UConn had committed anywhere close to these infractions?

Reaction Score
This one is going to hurt. When unc walks away unscathed from one of the biggest academic scandals ever. At best lost ship or two. Already pissed off just thinking about it.

Reaction Score
The more time that quietly goes by, you have to wonder if UNC will receive any kind of real punishment for a huge academic scandal. Just last week Battier and Jay Williams were doing a segment with 2 UNC players on how to post and feed the post. Can you imagine if UConn had committed anywhere close to these infractions?
They had a n investigation and they were let off scott free.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The lesson from UNC is that cheating is okay but failing to meet stupidly-devised NCAA academic standards is not. What's amazing to me is that the leaders of the NCAA continue to talk with a straight face about "student athletes" and the amateurism of college sports. As others have said many times on this board, the NCAA is, pure and simple, about money. Nothing meaningful will happen to UNC because the money flow would be damaged if UNC were to be penalized.

Reaction Score
The lesson from UNC is that cheating is okay but failing to meet stupidly-devised NCAA academic standards is not. What's amazing to me is that the leaders of the NCAA continue to talk with a straight face about "student athletes" and the amateurism of college sports. As others have said many times on this board, the NCAA is, pure and simple, about money. Nothing meaningful will happen to UNC because the money flow would be damaged if UNC were to be penalized.
Especially with the ACC Network (ESPN) calling the shots. They won't want one of their darling schools to be penalized. I created this poll because I thought the majority of us would indeed predict they'll get little if any punishment. This after Emmert and his group butchered the Miami investigation so badly that they didn't even institute a ban for a program some suggested could get the death penalty.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I can't see how they can let off without significant punishment. The NCAA loses what little credibility they have left if that happens.

Reaction Score
I can't see how they can let off without significant punishment. The NCAA loses what little credibility they have left if that happens.

Plus it will encourge every other institution to cheat (as if they aren't already), if they are not meeting these stupid APR requirements

Reaction Score
It's crazy but it's easy to see how there will be no punishment from the NCAA here. The NCAA will simply say that the scandal was broader than the athletic department and that the University is taking steps to correct internally...case closed.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They already tried that Scooby and it blew up in their faces. This is a real problem for them. If running a decades long academic scam isn't a problem, then how does the NCAA enforce any APR type standard? The NCAA has got to drop the hammer on these guys. Vacated wins, return of NCAA tourney money, loss of schollies and a multiple year post season ban.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
It's crazy but it's easy to see how there will be no punishment from the NCAA here. The NCAA will simply say that the scandal was broader than the athletic department and that the University is taking steps to correct internally...case closed.

I still feel that the institution needs to feel the loss of accreditation for a year or two.

At the highest levels, the institution committed academic fraud. Academic fraud of much lesser proportions would regularly result in the expulsion of a student, or the firing of a professor.

If the accrediting organization fails to act, then any accreditation they proffer is meaningless.

Once UNC has lost its accreditation, the NCAA is fundamentally powerless. They cannot and do not permit the participation of unaccredited institutions.

Reaction Score
Only chance UNC faces a major penalty is after yet again the NCAA says that this was not an 'athletic issue' someone in Congress targets either the NCAA or UNC. I think UNC may have a tougher fight with the accreditation board.

http://abc11.com/sports/accreditation-warning-letter-headed-to-unc/372365/

On the bright side, if the NCAA lets UNC float by, they almost have to hammer Syracuse to show the world that they have some backbone and as Syracuse is notch lower in the NCAA money totem pole.

Of course, UConn will receive a double death penalty over this for somehow fostering this environment in collegiate athletics as UConn had the nerve to win yet another NCAA basketball championship with a 2nd year coach 2 years after a playoff ban forcing UNC to create fake classes and Syracuse to provide additional financials support to lure basketball players to the frozen tundra.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Madness does not go to the mountains, it goes to the people.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if and when a decision will be made about the issue at hand? Seems like an eternity since the NCAA announced that they were investigating UNC.

Reaction Score
I still feel that the institution needs to feel the loss of accreditation for a year or two.

At the highest levels, the institution committed academic fraud. Academic fraud of much lesser proportions would regularly result in the expulsion of a student, or the firing of a professor.

If the accrediting organization fails to act, then any accreditation they proffer is meaningless.

Once UNC has lost its accreditation, the NCAA is fundamentally powerless. They cannot and do not permit the participation of unaccredited institutions.
I can only hope that this occurs... but I have very little faith left in the NCAA, or anything else associated with colleges. It's only about the money.

Reaction Score
They already tried that Scooby and it blew up in their faces. This is a real problem for them. If running a decades long academic scam isn't a problem, then how does the NCAA enforce any APR type standard? The NCAA has got to drop the hammer on these guys. Vacated wins, return of NCAA tourney money, loss of schollies and a multiple year post season ban.

I would love to see it but then the NCAA would have to face the problem that this type of thing happens a lot of other places and I don't think they want to deal with that reality.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I will always remember and appreciate Shabazz for calling out the NCAA for its hyprocisy when he accepted the NCAA MOP award on national TV after we won the 2014 tournament. Hopefully his words are still jammed down the throats of Emmert and other top NCAA officials.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
why should they be banned? their self-reported APR was just fine

just axe Emmert :cool:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And???? They clearly have no enforcement power already and the major programs can get away with anything they want. One more example, however egregious, won't change anything.

Reaction Score
Especially with the ACC Network (ESPN) calling the shots. They won't want one of their darling schools to be penalized. I created this poll because I thought the majority of us would indeed predict they'll get little if any punishment. This after Emmert and his group butchered the Miami investigation so badly that they didn't even institute a ban for a program some suggested could get the death penalty.

Your post reminded me of something that's pissing me off. Anyone notice how ESPN is calling non-conference games "ACC Basketball" if one of the teams is an ACC team? They did that with UConn-Duke and then again with Louisville-Kentucky. WTF. I want to punch ESPN in the throat

Reaction Score
UNC generates way too much $$$ from their Athletic programs to get penalized... It ain't happening.... It isn't right nor fair (see PSU too.. their penalty immediately cut), but $$$ talks and BS runs a marathon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom