Will UConn Unveil a Three Man Down Front Against Army? | The Boneyard

Will UConn Unveil a Three Man Down Front Against Army?

Will UConn defend the Army option attack with a three man down front?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
The most appropriate answer to this question is most likely "Maybe". But that is not an option. You gotta make a choice. Since mobility will be key on defense I will vote Yes. And TJ will be a star in this alignment.

Reaction Score
I voted no.

Preparing for Army is such a miserable week for any defense, let alone one that has given up 94 points to the 2 FBS opponents it has played.

This is not the week to try and get cute and change defensive schemes. It's the week to focus on assignments and discipline. In order to be successful against an option offense you have to 1st stop the dive. Then you must have the discipline on the edge to stop the QB and force the pitch. Allowing the QB to turn the corner is the death blow for a defense against the option. Along with all of that you get the Army "chop" blocks to deal with.

I would rather the focus this week be on tackling and understanding their assignments, not making schematic changes

Edit: I thought I voted no but my vote shows as a yes

Reaction Score
I voted no.

Preparing for Army is such a miserable week for any defense, let alone one that has given up 94 points to the 2 FBS opponents it has played.

This is not the week to try and get cute and change defensive schemes. It's the week to focus on assignments and discipline. In order to be successful against an option offense you have to 1st stop the dive. Then you must have the discipline on the edge to stop the QB and force the pitch. Allowing the QB to turn the corner is the death blow for a defense against the option. Along with all of that you get the Army "chop" blocks to deal with.

I would rather the focus this week be on tackling and understanding their assignments, not making schematic changes

Edit: I thought I voted no but my vote shows as a yes
Good reasoning, but maybe flexibility is needed most.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The most appropriate answer to this question is god duck______ no.. But that is not an option. You gotta make a choice. Since mobility will be key on defense I will vote Yes. And TJ will be a star in this alignment.

The only thing worse than UConn's DLine is its LB's and DB's. Conceding the first three yards of the line of scrimmage to Army's line and option offense is a god awful choice.

Stacking the line and only having one line of defense against a clear lane to the end zone is a preferable option for the current roster.

Reaction Score
My reasoning is as follows. Four LBs are better to control the edge and the fluidity of plays as they develop. Having 2 Mikes is actually good for preventing gains up the gut whichever side of the TJ double team they go. And UConn may have been working on this scheme for a long while. It's not like they would have just started this week.

Reaction Score
How do you guys still do this?

Who cares what alignment or technicque or strategy we are employing if we are giving up 50 ppg?

Why not just go with a 9 man front and blitz every down, can't go worse right?

Reaction Score
The only thing worse than UConn's DLine is its LB's and DB's. Conceding the first three yards of the line of scrimmage to Army's line and option offense is a god awful choice.

Stacking the line and only having one line of defense against a clear lane to the end zone is a preferable option for the current roster.

I was just going to say we absolutely do not have the linebackers to make the 3-4 work.

Reaction Score
Just play defense like you think each play will be a run.

Reaction Score
I was just going to say we absolutely do not have the linebackers to make the 3-4 work.
Our linebackers are horrid just making simple read and fills let alone trying to move inside out and up on an option read.

Reaction Score
The alternative argument. If your LB's are weak, best to add a fourth.
The total combined weight of our four linebackers is probably equal to two regular sized linebackers.

I am not opposed to a 3-4 but we don’t have the personnel aside from Travis Jones and Uguak. Kevon Jones actually would fit as an OLB in the scheme to set the edge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom