Will the Power 5 Break from the NCAA? | The Boneyard

Will the Power 5 Break from the NCAA?

Reaction Score
Football is already just P5 for all intents and purposes. March madness being tampered with? That would be a huge difference. The first two days of march madness are two of the best sports days of the year. People love the Cinderella stuff. 16 games per day packed in 2 days. The brackets.
Take that away and its lost a good amount of interest for a lot of people in this country who dont for Duke. Mich st. Etc

Reaction Score
I've said all along that eventually the P5 will come for hoops just because that's the only big money thing left on the table. Now, with the budget crisis almost every school will face, may be the time for them to do it.

While they aren't going to bring all the D1 conferences along for their "championship", they have to include more than just the P5. With only 65 teams, they really have no choice.

While I would think that the AAC would likely be included, (and maybe some others) they are definitely going to bring the Big East to the dance.

As for football, like @TheViking said, it already is what it is.

If they do go, I don't think it changes anything for UConn. We may even get more money out of it. Yes, the overall size of the pie will not be a billion dollars like it is now but, the P5 don't do anything if it's not a money maker so being included could increase tourney "credits" which will be good for the Big East

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see what happens to the P5 bottom feeders like Wake, BC, Cuse, Northwestern, etc in a scenario such as this.

Reaction Score
My guess is it will come down to approx. the top 100 football programs regardless of conference affilation. To many markets and you need enough teams involved.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"We're going to lose institutions," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick predicted. "We're going to have a number of member institutions who won't be involved in college education in 3-4 years."

When you first read that you think it says that schools will be dropping sports, but on second read it actually say that athletic departments will stop educating students. Slip of the tongue?

The dividing line between the haves and have nots is simple sports Darwinism. Large public state universities with massive followings can be athletically self-sufficient.

Good UConn is a large public state university.

Below that line, the more state subsidies schools use in the form of student fees, the more vulnerable they are.
Uhhh....

Anyway, does this article seem like they are starting the campaign to discredit/delegitimize the NCAA?

CL82

Reaction Score
P5 - 64
ND - 1
AAC- 12
NBE- 11
BYU - 1
Total 89
Who are the last 11 teams?

Do you pick up the remaining academies (Army and Air Force, I counted Navy in with the American)? Maybe the remaining football independents? (Liberty, New Mexico, and UMass) That would get to 94. Who else?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What may happen instead is that the elite FB teams from the P5, such as Clemson, may move to form some kind of a large national super-conference. Money involved make exit fees a moot point. That will free up space in their old conferences, such as the ACC. If that happens, schools like UConn, may be able to join. As long as we do not mess things up like last time.

CL82

Reaction Score
What may happen instead is that the elite FB teams from the P5, such as Clemson, may move to form some kind of a large national super-conference. Money involved make exit fees a moot point. That will free up space in their old conferences, such as the ACC. If that happens, schools like UConn, may be able to join. As long as we do not mess things up like last time.
I don't see how this makes economic sense. Their football value is already monetized at a fairly high value and as noted above unless you invite the rest of the P5, plus another 25-35 others, the numbers don't make sense for March Madness.

Reaction Score
I don't see how this makes economic sense. Their football value is already monetized at a fairly high value and as noted above unless you invite the rest of the P5, plus another 25-35 others, the numbers don't make sense for March Madness.
I think he meant for football only. March Madness needs the Cinderella element to work, football does not. Honestly football could just be 30 schools as D1 and that’s enough.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think he meant for football only. March Madness needs the Cinderella element to work, football does not. Honestly football could just be 30 schools as D1 and that’s enough.
Aren't they already separate for football for all practical purposes?

Reaction Score
College football does not work with only 30 schools or 65 schools. Why? Who would follow a football program that never has winning seasons and in many cases winless seasons. College football teams need some winnable games and that is where the G5 and FCS teams come into play. Remember, this is not pro football where there is a player draft based on the previous season performance.

Reaction Score
College football does not work with only 30 schools or 65 schools. Why? Who would follow a football program that never has winning seasons and in many cases winless seasons. College football teams need some winnable games and that is where the G5 and FCS teams come into play. Remember, this is not pro football where there is a player draft based on the previous season performance.
Eh, there’s already a monopoly on talent by 10-15 big time programs. NCAA will likely approve paying players to some degree so there might be some kind of “salary cap” which may actually even the playing field for these hypothetical 30 teams.

Reaction Score
Somehow, Duke had some followers while having 18 losing seasons in a row....four of which were winless...and 13 of the seasons were of 3 wins or less.

Reaction Score
Eh, there’s already a monopoly on talent by 10-15 big time programs. NCAA will likely approve paying players to some degree so there might be some kind of “salary cap” which may actually even the playing field for these hypothetical 30 teams.

That's not really true as witnessed by the AAC having 4 top 25 teams at the end of last year. Football is one sport where there is a heck of a lot of talent, and the game involves so many guys it's not easy to dominate. It's gotten even more balanced with the transfer portal. The money that kids will likely get from college stipends is likely to be dwarfed by pro money. Thus, it's going to continue to be about playing time. Ultimately i believe as someone said above you have to have at least 100 top division teams.

Reaction Score
That's not really true as witnessed by the AAC having 4 top 25 teams at the end of last year. Football is one sport where there is a heck of a lot of talent, and the game involves so many guys it's not easy to dominate. It's gotten even more balanced with the transfer portal. The money that kids will likely get from college stipends is likely to be dwarfed by pro money. Thus, it's going to continue to be about playing time. Ultimately i believe as someone said above you have to have at least 100 top division teams.
In my opinion, the fall off from top 10 to 11-25 is way too big. UCF and UH broke the G5 stigma years back but I don’t see that happening again. I just think that if 30 current P5 schools could create 2 super-conferences and monopolize the CFB revenue they wouldn’t think twice about dumping the dregs.

Reaction Score
The issue with dumping the dregs for football is that you’d lose millions of fans. Too many fan bases would be alienated and college fans don’t just abandon their team and pick a new one. Loyalties run deep in college sports. I’d rather watch a minor league than watch a P5 football division. If the dream of UConn playing for a a college championship was 100% dead, then I’d be done with college football.

Reaction Score
There are 256 Division I programs....plus the other divisions....

Last season there were 111 televised games in regulat season that drew 2 million viewers or more. That is why football is worth more to the media.

Football fans tuned in nationally to watch football, not just their team.....most of the people who watched LSU, Alabama or Clemson play weren't fans of the programs.

Folks don't just watch because they dream that, one day, their school might play in a championship game....most know that will not happen. Grads of West Florida and East Bohunk and Umass will watch football on TV.

Fans don't abandon their teams, but they watch football even if their team is not on TV.

Reaction Score
To play for a championship, 50% of the recruits in the last four classes must be 5 and 4 stars...just a fact based on empirical data.

Every Champion since internet recruit class rankings have been published, has met that criteria.

Last season all four CFP teams met that mark ......and 11 of the top 15.

The big boys will get their stars and championships....the others will compete for the top of the 1st quartile...the chance to finish ranked.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Completely disagree. MM is based on gambling, ie brackets. A no name school winning is certainly interesting. Having a Northwestern as the 16 seed serves mostly the same purpose.

The only thing holding it back are the stability of the TV contract and anti-trust laws.

If Amazon wants to pay the P5 schools to hold their own tournament, plus independents, then they will breakaway. The NIT used to be prestigious and now teams consider declining bids.

The P5 will drop the Big East in a minute if it suits them to do so, just as they did before.

It won't happen on its own. There needs to be an outside trigger such as schools dropping sports for financial reasons.

Reaction Score
Completely disagree. MM is based on gambling, ie brackets. A no name school winning is certainly interesting. Having a Northwestern as the 16 seed serves mostly the same purpose.

The only thing holding it back are the stability of the TV contract and anti-trust laws.

If Amazon wants to pay the P5 schools to hold their own tournament, plus independents, then they will breakaway. The NIT used to be prestigious and now teams consider declining bids.

The P5 will drop the Big East in a minute if it suits them to do so, just as they did before.

It won't happen on its own. There needs to be an outside trigger such as schools dropping sports for financial reasons.
In this scenario essentially all current P5 schools would be in the tournament (if it’s a 64 team bracket). Rendering a regular season completely useless. I just can’t see it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Last season there were 111 televised games in regulat season that drew 2 million viewers or more. That is why football is worth more to the media.
Where are you getting this stat from? It seems wrong, but you are usually pretty good about sourcing your comments.

Reaction Score
To play for a championship, 50% of the recruits in the last four classes must be 5 and 4 stars...just a fact based on empirical data.

Every Champion since internet recruit class rankings have been published, has met that criteria.

Last season all four CFP teams met that mark ......and 11 of the top 15.

The big boys will get their stars and championships....the others will compete for the top of the 1st quartile...the chance to finish ranked.

I understand that, but I don’t see it as viable long term. Attendance is already down and the next generation of fans isn’t nearly as passionate.

While I don’t expect UConn to win a title, I like to play for something. The dream is always there. The right mix of coaches and players could somehow catch lightning in a bottle and make a run. For us, it might just be going 10-2 and getting some serious attention rather than making the playoff. When you take it away, you’ll lose fans.

I know that fans of schools like FSU can’t fathom it, but it’s true. I didn’t really care about college football at all until UConn went FBS. If we were to drop the program or get demoted to a second rate division, I’d just become a very casual college football fan. I certainly wouldn’t care who won any of the games. I think it would be very wise of the powers that be to remember that having more college football fans is good for everyone. They need all of us. The world is rapidly changing and issues filling seats in stadiums is just the beginning. The next generation won’t likely dedicate an entire afternoon to a football game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom