Will the Big East add a 12th School | The Boneyard

Will the Big East add a 12th School

Reaction Score
Am not sure if this has been talked about or not. But, I wonder if the Big East is considering adding a 12th school at some point. If so, who do you think it might be. Granted right now 11 schools does work. You have home and away games with each other in a normal year. That's 20 games then eight out of conference. With a 12th school then you wind up playing 22 conference games. However, that's a bunch. I doubt that coaches would go for that. I'm not a fan of unbalanced schedules. Just thinking out loud.

Butler
Connecticut
Creighton
DePaul
Georgetown
Marquette
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Villanova
Xavier

Reaction Score
1616373487279.png

Reaction Score
If the University of Cincinnati ever wanted to go independent in football the Big East would be a great place for their basketball team, though, Xavier we need some convincing. It would give the Big East another household name to market in basketball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Would never happen.

They’re not going to add a second team from Cincinnati.

But also, Cincy is not going indy in football.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Would never happen.

They’re not going to add a second team from Cincinnati.

But also, Cincy is not going indy in football.
This is not a comment on the recent UConn move because what's done is done, but people here really don't seem to understand how insane (and difficult) going Independent in football is in today's collegiate athletic landscape. 99% of conference builds are because of football. UConn is the one exception where we basically gave up on the idea/dream of making a big bowl game and potentially being in a league that could eventually compete for an AQ spot in an expanded CFP in order to play hoops in the Big East. When you factor in where Cincinnati's football team is today (and where it could lead them eventually), it would be insane for them to give all that up to attempt to join a hoops/OLY sports only league.

I highlighted it in a different thread a few months back but IF the Big East was to add a 12th team (and it's not happening), the only candidate that makes any remote sense is St. Louis:

If they HAD to add a 12th- it's St. Louis University. Geographically fits in well with Creighton/DePaul/Marquette and is a private Jesuit school fitting the mold of the entire league (except UConn). You'd have an even mix of schools on the East Coast with UConn, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Midwest with St. Louis, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler. SLU has a shared conference history with a lot of the midwest schools in the league: Creighton (MVC), DePaul (CUSA+ Great Midwest), Marquette (CUSA + Great Midwest), Butler (A10 + Horizon), and Xavier (A10 + Horizon). Not to mention its a decent recruiting area, they've got a relatively new (and beautiful I might add) arena, and are located in a large urban market similar to the rest of the league. Again it won't happen- but if they add a team it's SLU.

Reaction Score
This is not a comment on the recent UConn move because what's done is done, but people here really don't seem to understand how insane (and difficult) going Independent in football is in today's collegiate athletic landscape. 99% of conference builds are because of football. UConn is the one exception where we basically gave up on the idea/dream of making a big bowl game and potentially being in a league that could eventually compete for an AQ spot in an expanded CFP in order to play hoops in the Big East. When you factor in where Cincinnati's football team is today (and where it could lead them eventually), it would be insane for them to give all that up to attempt to join a hoops/OLY sports only league.

I highlighted it in a different thread a few months back but IF the Big East was to add a 12th team (and it's not happening), the only candidate that makes any remote sense is St. Louis:

If they HAD to add a 12th- it's St. Louis University. Geographically fits in well with Creighton/DePaul/Marquette and is a private Jesuit school fitting the mold of the entire league (except UConn). You'd have an even mix of schools on the East Coast with UConn, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Midwest with St. Louis, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler. SLU has a shared conference history with a lot of the midwest schools in the league: Creighton (MVC), DePaul (CUSA+ Great Midwest), Marquette (CUSA + Great Midwest), Butler (A10 + Horizon), and Xavier (A10 + Horizon). Not to mention its a decent recruiting area, they've got a relatively new (and beautiful I might add) arena, and are located in a large urban market similar to the rest of the league. Again it won't happen- but if they add a team it's SLU.

I don't think they will be adding a 12th school, but I think Dayton would be the top choice. Catholic school. Within driving distance of Xavier and Butler. Bigger fanbase than St. Louis. Plus, the first four is in Dayton every year.

Reaction Score
If any of these schools coming knocking you don't say no:

Duke
Notre Dame
Northwestern
Syracuse
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

Or stick with reality and roll with 11. :p

Reaction Score
Cincinnati is too smart and too strong in football to do something foolish like going indie in football. Because, unlike
UConn, they take FB seriously, they are a likely B12 candidate.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is too smart and too strong in football to do something foolish like going indie in football. Because, unlike
UConn, they take FB seriously, they are a likely B12 candidate.
It is highly unlikely that they will ever receive a Big 12 invite under the current circumstances.

Reaction Score
I have this weird feeling one of the old BE schools comes back. I could see Cuse as their fans seem to long for the success they once had and don’t like being a consistent middle of pack team in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Atlantic Hockey is considering expanding to 14 to include LIU and Alabama-Huntsville, if that makes anyone feel better. Supposedly, Navy is pushing to go D1 in hockey.

Reaction Score
Oh am I wrong? I live in NYC and all the Cuse fans I’m friends with here don’t love the ACC. They don’t hate it as much as we hated the AAC, but they do talk about being able to see their team at MSG in March. They’re also annoyed with being a consistent middle of the pack ACC and living on the bubble year in and year out. I should mention these are not your average SU alumni.

I will say it’s doubtful they leave the ACC in the near future, but I wouldn’t count it out when the ACC media deal expires.

Reaction Score
I have this weird feeling one of the old BE schools comes back. I could see Cuse as their fans seem to long for the success they once had and don’t like being a consistent middle of pack team in the ACC.
Oh am I wrong? I live in NYC and all the Cuse fans I’m friends with here don’t love the ACC. They don’t hate it as much as we hated the AAC, but they do talk about being able to see their team at MSG in March. They’re also annoyed with being a consistent middle of the pack ACC and living on the bubble year in and year out. I should mention these are not your average SU alumni.
I will say it’s doubtful they leave the ACC in the near future, but I wouldn’t count it out when the ACC media deal expires.

The only way that Syracuse leaves the ACC is if the ACC leaves them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree. Cuse fans love the ACC nearly as much as the like Girard and Buddy as their backcourt. I have never seen a duo with more pluck and grit!

Reaction Score
No team currently in a P5 Conference is leaving their conference unless it is to go to a different P5 Conference that pays more and offers greater overall exposure. The Big East is fine for what it is, but no one is going to voluntarily go down the path that UConn has chosen for at best a 6th of their current pay.

Reaction Score
No team currently in a P5 Conference is leaving their conference unless it is to go to a different P5 Conference that pays more and offers greater overall exposure. The Big East is fine for what it is, but no one is going to voluntarily go down the path that UConn has chosen for at best a 6th of their current pay.
I don’t disagree with your thesis but UConn left a P6 conference, not a P5

Reaction Score
Dayton would probably be the next school lined up. Basketball program is quite strong.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with your thesis but UConn left a P6 conference, not a P5
I think he is saying that Cuse won’t consider rejoining the Big East because of the money, which is true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom