Will the ACC at the last minute ask UConn to join? | The Boneyard

Will the ACC at the last minute ask UConn to join?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that the B12 looks interested in UConn, and the ACC is likely to start a TV network, will UConn be asked to join at the last minute? UConn's demographics -- in New England and New York -- are a great add to any TV network.

Reaction Score
This is a complete head scratcher to me. It is already well publicized how the ACC network will have a tough go of it in the Northeast corridor. One would think that a UConn add would help fill that gap and get on more tv sets.

Reaction Score
The likelihood of getting invited to the Big 12 is maybe 50%, yet everyone thinks a bidding war may result over this hot property.
Everyone? Hardly. Most posters here know the deal. We are legitimately looking at being passed over for Memphis. A school with horrible academics, an athletic budget barely more than half ours, and a fan base that thinks football performance the last 2 years is the only thing that should matter.

Yet here we are, one of only 3 schools to send a team to a bowl game, the baseball team to NCAA tournament, and the basketball team to the dance, and we're sweating out Memphis. That is already a kick in the balls.

Reaction Score
New England and New York State combined contain 35 million people - about one-ninth of the U.S. population. Of course they're adequately represented in the Power Five by two private schools - a Catholic school from Boston, and a research university from upstate New York. Why spoil all of that privatized fun by adding a public university to the ACC that would totally fit the conference profile, and that has a history of athletic success surpassing those other two universities?

Hey, they should add Memphis! I think it's more important to make sure the 6.5 million people in Tennessee have three universities in the Power Five, instead of only two. (It's a crying shame, it is.) Why should everyone have representation? Inequality is where it's at in the 21st century. Some people count more than others, and it's always their turn next.

As for Connecticut? We can't have anything of our own. Zip. Nothing. Zero. No pro teams, no top-tier college sports. Everyone is too busy trying to freeze us out until we capitulate and accept them as our lords and lieges, and start supporting out-of-state businesses, plus a couple of rando out-of-state private schools instead of a university we can actually attend for something resembling an affordable price (along with other New England residents, under the New England Regional Student Program.) But, hey - at least my town gets to subsidize ESPN, and give them tax breaks so they can help to screw us and keep us under the thumb of snobby private-schoolers.

Reaction Score
Big10 has the same issue. ACC can lock up the Northeast. Big10 can compete for the Tristate market by grabbing UConn and preempting ACC control.

Reaction Score
New England and New York State combined contain 35 million people - about one-ninth of the U.S. population. Of course they're adequately represented in the Power Five by two private schools - a Catholic school from Boston, and a research university from upstate New York. Why spoil all of that privatized fun by adding a public university to the ACC that would totally fit the conference profile, and that has a history of athletic success surpassing those other two universities?

Hey, they should add Memphis! I think it's more important to make sure the 6.5 million people in Tennessee have three universities in the Power Five, instead of only two. (It's a crying shame, it is.) Why should everyone have representation? Inequality is where it's at in the 21st century. Some people count more than others, and it's always their turn next.

As for Connecticut? We can't have anything of our own. Zip. Nothing. Zero. No pro teams, no top-tier college sports. Everyone is too busy trying to freeze us out until we capitulate and accept them as our lords and lieges, and start supporting out-of-state businesses, plus a couple of rando out-of-state private schools instead of a university we can actually attend for something resembling an affordable price (along with other New England residents, under the New England Regional Student Program.) But, hey - at least my town gets to subsidize ESPN, and give them tax breaks so they can help to screw us and keep us under the thumb of snobby private-schoolers.

Overpriced, jealous unaccomplished bastards that they are...

Reaction Score
Memphis is 1,000 miles closer to the B12 center, in a very rich recruiting area and has a huge donor willing to go Phil Knight, T Boone, Kevin Plank on facilities.

If UConn gets passed over it will be geography and hard to argue on many levels.

Everyone? Hardly. Most posters here know the deal. We are legitimately looking at being passed over for Memphis. A school with horrible academics, an athletic budget barely more than half ours, and a fan base that thinks football performance the last 2 years is the only thing that should matter.

Yet here we are, one of only 3 schools to send a team to a bowl game, the baseball team to NCAA tournament, and the basketball team to the dance, and we're sweating out Memphis. That is already a kick in the balls.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Memphis is 1,000 miles closer to the B12 center, in a very rich recruiting area and has a huge donor willing to go Phil Knight, T Boone, Kevin Plank on facilities.

If UConn gets passed over it will be geography and hard to argue on many levels.

That FedEx rumor is totally bogus.

We heard that for years when Memphis was lobbying for a Big East invite and it never happened.

They finally got into the American, an upgrade for them, and it never happened.

It's just message board conjucture and posturing from Memphis. Just like how Memphis would bring the Liberty Bowl to the American.

Memphis has worse hoops than us and up until the last two seasons, worse in football as well.

I'm not saying they can't get in over us due to proximity and recruiting area, but that's the only thing they have on us.

Reaction Score
No ACC invite because there is likely no B12 invite coming and even if there was I doubt the ACC would care all that much. They are all set without us and wouldn't be concerned about UConn membership in a b12 that will eventually implode.

Despite some of the talk on this board I don't see much compelling evidence in the news feeds that we are a top 4 candidate for b12 expansion......although I am curious about the UConn admin's very non-public approach to marketing itself compared to other schools in the hunt.

Reaction Score
The ACC has made it clear they're not interested in UConn... on multiple occasions. Only way we get a look is to replace departing schools, which isn't happening any time soon. It's B12 or bust (and I'm not holding my breath on the B12 making a long term strategic decision.... hope I'm pleasantly surprised tho).

Reaction Score

If he was going to Phil knight them he already would have. That is the biggest crock of sheet on the internet. A while back they floated the lie that Memphis produced the most SEC recruits per capita or somet hi ing similar. It caught on like wildfire but upon closer inspection it was a total fabrication.

East Carolina and Memphis have similar athletic budgets. East Carolina with their fan support is a better add.

Neither on any level, should be close to a better add aside from geography, but if you're getting on a plane anyway, what is an extra hour on that plane?

Reaction Score
The ACC turned down UConn previously, but now they are planning to go ahead with a TV network. They need a presence in the metro-NYC area. Syracuse is an upstate university in New York State. Most people in NYC region don't think about it much. Connecticut includes Fairfield County which has among the wealthiest suburbs of NYC. It is also the home to many UConn students and alumni. The best argument for the ACC to add UConn is a self-interested one for ACC members. Long-term it would be financially rewarding for the conference members.

Reaction Score
Why would you expect any logic in any of this? There are some facts but a plethora of opinions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing I don't get on this (beyond the fact that Smith has a board to answer to and that board has shareholders to answer to) is why he wouldn't donate directly to Memphis instead of a conference (this is assuming personal; funds, not FEDEX dollars).

The way I see it, if a UConn donor was willing to donate $100mm, $150mm,$200mm, whatever the magic number a P5 conference required to add us, we could do far more if that money was donated to the school instead and in little time would not need to bribe a conference for admission. How is it possible that Memphis (the school, not the city) wouldn't be better served receiving that money directly, with Smith earmarking certain funds for certain specific athletic improvements?

Reaction Score
I always thought that the reason the ACC went in for the championship format change was to allow them to add UCONN and go to 15 while waiting for ND to come early in as 16. Thanks to the B1G that wasn't allowed to happen in a form that would help the ACC, just the Big 12.

Reaction Score
No ACC invite because there is likely no B12 invite coming and even if there was I doubt the ACC would care all that much. They are all set without us and wouldn't be concerned about UConn membership in a b12 that will eventually implode.
Thst's very true but let's look at this strategically
The B12 contract runs for 8 more years unless there is an extension.
You still have no direct team in the Tri-State area Cuse and BC are islands
The B12 money allows UConn to become a more significant player in increases its BCS reputation.
UConn continues its quest for an strains AAU status .
There is a chance that a major BB power, with growing football credibility ,and academic prestige,
becomes available in the next B1G expansion.
or you take them off the table now ,tie them to a 20 year GOR
At the same time creste some more interesting regional matchups for current members enhancing your conference in the area.
Despite some of the talk on this board I don't see much compelling evidence in the news feeds that we are a top 4 candidate for b12 expansion.although I am curious about the UConn admin's very non-public approach to marketing itself compared to other schools in the hunt.
You may be right about this or not we will soon find out , I would suspect if they don't act on us they are pretty certain we're are not going anywhere so UConn has to pick up the pieces of the AAC and figure a survival strategy or roll over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom