Will Special Teams Decide Game Friday Night? | The Boneyard

Will Special Teams Decide Game Friday Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Among all the unknowns and uncertains on Friday night, the most mysterious are our special teams. Will Puyols perform under pressure? Can Wain pin the Cougars deep with his punts? Can we count on our return men to handle the chore. A friend of mine in Arizona who follows several programs out that way says BYU is very, very good at returning kicks. They broke some big runs and had several more that were called back on penalties last year. He predicts some big field position wins for the Cougars. "Special teams coordinator Kelly Poppinga said the Cougars had a good year in 2013 on special teams until their Bowl Game. As a result the Cougars worked on special teams "every single day" in spring camp".

Our special teams will need to keep to their lanes and tackle well. And we need to perform great in the kicking game. Pretty obvious stuff but I think it will be "game changing critical", especially at the start of the game, for us to keep it close---and give us any chance to prevail.

Reaction Score
It's critical that we bring our "A" game on Offense, Defense and Special Teams... As fans, we need to bring out "A" game too. The Rent needs to rock! I don't think BYU has any idea how loud it gets there.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Special teams might be the biggest unknown heading in to the game, even more than our lines.

Edit: I said the same thing as Nostical and added no value. I could have simply left it at "I agree". Lol

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree. Puyols will need to come through for us. Leaving any points on the field against an offense like BYU's is a recipe for disaster.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would be happy is the game is close enough for special teams play to be decisive, but I reserve the right to be p!$$ed if that play goes against us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom