Will someone analyze why... | The Boneyard

Will someone analyze why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
...Florida State put such a thumping on Duke?
Duke is generally a well-coached team that plays smart team basketball. They can usually hang in there against teams with superior talent, i.e. SC & Louisville.

With that said, sometimes superior talent can overwhelm even a well-coached team. FSU has superior talent to Duke and they like to pressure the ball on defense. While I didn't see the game, I suspect that Duke was overwhelmed by FSU's quickness and aggressiveness.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Duke is generally a well-coached team that plays smart team basketball. They can usually hang in there against teams with superior talent, i.e. SC & Louisville.

With that said, sometimes superior talent can overwhelm even a well-coached team. FSU has superior talent to Duke and they like to pressure the ball on defense. While I didn't see the game, I suspect that Duke was overwhelmed by FSU's quickness and aggressiveness.
And FSU's athleticism. Pretty good team this FSU.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, but does that translate to tenacious defense?
I'll have to check the replay, FSU defense good but not tenacious. I suspect Duke had tired legs, 3rd game in 6 days all competitive games, right after the new year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Duke plays a zone defense and has seldom had much team speed, so teams that can play good offense against a zone, and can pressure the ball with speed and quickness always are tough for Duke. It is the formula Uconn used against them for the long winning streak that was really never competitive, And it has generally put a ceiling on how far the JPM teams can advance. They are predictable as far as scouting which allows good coaches to easily plan against them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Duke plays a zone defense and has seldom had much team speed, so teams that can play good offense against a zone, and can pressure the ball with speed and quickness always are tough for Duke. It is the formula Uconn used against them for the long winning streak that was really never competitive, And it has generally put a ceiling on how far the JPM teams can advance. They are predictable as far as scouting which allows good coaches to easily plan against them.
Good analysis. I believe Syracuse is running into the same problem this season as teams get used to their 2-3 zone and how to attack it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Simple. Duke good at Cameron but weak on the road. Lost at Vandy, lost huge at FSU.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Simple. Duke good at Cameron but weak on the road. Lost at Vandy, lost huge at FSU.

The loss didnt surprise me, though I expected a better fight. Duke is 1-2 vs "Power 5" teams on the road. Not sure if it would matter home or away, but we have to go to ND in a few weeks. As for the rest of the season... among upper tier ACC foes..... VPI, Miami, and Syracuse at home..... NC State on the road this coming Sunday.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maybe Duke forgot which basket to defend.:D

panda.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Actually I think Duke has superior talent to Louisville... Im not convinced that FSU is the more talented team. Their talent is more consistent however..... particulary upfront. SC has better talent 2-5.... though Gray/Davis vs Brown/Greenwell might be a wash. Duke had the advantage at PG and on the bench.

The thing about this years squad... is that with Duke's current starting lineup.... Lambert, Brown, Greenwell, Odom, and Chidom... 4 of the 5 (excluding Greenwell) are pretty fast, quick, and athletic... and I would like to see more man-to man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom