Will Meg Break Out This Season? | The Boneyard

Will Meg Break Out This Season?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She may not be "the" key, but she sure is "a" key player. Geno on this:

“I think the big thing with Meg is just understanding what can I do and what can’t I do? Where are my strengths and where are my weaknesses," Auriemma said, “and how can I take advantage of my strengths to be as good a player as there is in the country? Because she is that talented. And what are my weaknesses? So she can start to address them. A lot of times when you’re a great player coming out of high school you seem to think you have none because nothing ever got in your way, and the best players — the ones who really grow the most — are the ones who when they get to college they start to look in the mirror and go ‘This is what I’m great at,’ and they also can look in the other mirror and go ‘I’ve got to get better at this.’ And the ones that can honestly do that take off. I think this is the year she’s going to take off.”

She can be a dominant player. I sure hope she blossoms.

UConn women: Prince visiting Storrs, Dangerfield and Westbrook recovering, Auriemma has high expectations for Williams

Reaction Score
She broke out last season, in my opinion. She just needs to be able to reliably finish underneath the basket. And frankly, I think UConn's "missed layup" problem last season is as much a coaching issue as anything else. Here's what I mean by that:

When I watched the national championship game, there were multiple occasions where a Baylor player grabbed an offensive rebound near the basket, and immediately potted a stick-back from a challenging angle. They almost never missed; it was an act of muscle memory for them. It was obvious to me that Kim has them line up underneath the rim to practice doing this over and over again.

Now tell me, when do you think was the last time Geno ran that drill? Probably not since Tina Charles was on the team. All the finesse and guard-centric offence in the world is not going to get it done if it comes at the expense of good basics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a large part of Megan's "problem" last year was being required to play the 4 and concentrate on rebounding and playing around the hoop when her skills are most evident as a wing. She was playing out of position (as was Pheesa) because of our lack of true size\post play. But when your team needs you to play a challenging role you do it in good programs, when you're dedicated to winning.

Thus she had little opportunity to develop finishing skills off the drive, where IMO she tended to throw the shot up too often when only modestly defended. She really isn't an under the basket player (or wasn't, until asked by Geno last year to shoulder a lot more of that role). I don't see that changing that much this year, but I'm sure, as talented as she is, she will improve quite a bit in that role.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think a large part of Megan's "problem" last year was being required to play the 4 and concentrate on rebounding and playing around the hoop when her skills are most evident as a wing. She was playing out of position (as was Pheesa) because of our lack of true size\post play. But when your team needs you to play a challenging role you do it in good programs, when you're dedicated to winning.

Thus she had little opportunity to develop finishing skills off the drive, where IMO she tended to throw the shot up too often when only modestly defended. She really isn't an under the basket player (or wasn't, until asked by Geno last year to shoulder a lot more of that role). I don't see that changing that much this year, but I'm sure, as talented as she is, she will improve quite a bit in that role.
I agree with most of what you say, but not the last sentence. With players like Evelyn and hopefully an improved Batouly to help with rebounding this year, why shouldn’t Megan be able to spend more time on the perimeter?

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you say, but not the last sentence. With players like Evelyn and hopefully an improved Batouly to help with rebounding this year, why shouldn’t Megan be able to spend more time on the perimeter?

I think the realistic\semi-hopeful expectation for Batouly next year is to handle ONO's backup minutes. Even with solid improvement, against sound\good teams that have a post presence ONO will be at risk of foul problems. Kayla can't play the post. Think Geno would have to be "regular season Baylor" desperate to try to play both ONO and Batouly at the same time. Remember, as Batouly got healthier last year, she essentially moved further down the bench and after Gordon transferred she was the last player off the bench.

The more conventional expectation is probably that Adebayo eats some minutes at the 4. But again, new to the system, playing against a much higher level of competition, never having played in an intensive defense scheme, when it is crunch time is Geno going to revert to saying "Megan really needs to be more active on the boards" or rely upon a one-and-done newcomer as his go-to?

Lastly, the new blood is essentially guard play. If Evina gets a waiver, both Anna and she will be the first options for new minutes, with Crystal and Christian and all that argues to me that the minutes at 4 will primarily go to Megan. She will get scoring opportunities from the wing, but she will know her primary responsibility will be to make sure we are competitive on the boards and that the opposing power forward is kept in check defensively.

Reaction Score
She broke out last season, in my opinion. She just needs to be able to reliably finish underneath the basket. And frankly, I think UConn's "missed layup" problem last season is as much a coaching issue as anything else. Here's what I mean by that:

When I watched the national championship game, there were multiple occasions where a Baylor player grabbed an offensive rebound near the basket, and immediately potted a stick-back from a challenging angle. They almost never missed; it was an act of muscle memory for them. It was obvious to me that Kim has them line up underneath the rim to practice doing this over and over again.

Now tell me, when do you think was the last time Geno ran that drill? Probably not since Tina Charles was on the team. All the finesse and guard-centric offence in the world is not going to get it done if it comes at the expense of good basics.

????
How do you know what drills UCONN does? I'm not saying you don't, but do you?

As far as "good basics" -- are you suggesting a Geno Auriemma coached team isn't coached with "good basics?" You used the word "if" so my guess is you aren't saying Geno isn't coaching his team well - so you are just throwing it out there suggesting "if' but not really believing is my guess?

Because I'll put Geno's way of coaching vs Kim's any day any time. IMO what you saw is that Baylor was a combination of a big team and an athletic team whose offense would understandably be much more dependent on offensive rebounding than finesse teams. Though I prefer the smaller power forward in which you can spread the offense. This is sort of how UCONN has played a lot. I think that overall is best, Of course I love offensive rebounding but I love the execution of the offense including 3pt shooting more.

Last year's Huskies were incredibly small-- and Katie Lou and Danger imo didn't quite have the year we would have loved, yet we still still got to the final four. Of which Kim's teams for years didn't reach that despite the superior-great size they have had. This was UCONN's weakest team in years and they still got there. The basics of UCONN and sustainability is unparalleled

Reaction Score
She may not be "the" key, but she sure is "a" key player. Geno on this:

“I think the big thing with Meg is just understanding what can I do and what can’t I do? Where are my strengths and where are my weaknesses," Auriemma said, “and how can I take advantage of my strengths to be as good a player as there is in the country? Because she is that talented. And what are my weaknesses? So she can start to address them. A lot of times when you’re a great player coming out of high school you seem to think you have none because nothing ever got in your way, and the best players — the ones who really grow the most — are the ones who when they get to college they start to look in the mirror and go ‘This is what I’m great at,’ and they also can look in the other mirror and go ‘I’ve got to get better at this.’ And the ones that can honestly do that take off. I think this is the year she’s going to take off.”

She can be a dominant player. I sure hope she blossoms.

UConn women: Prince visiting Storrs, Dangerfield and Westbrook recovering, Auriemma has high expectations for Williams
I agree with Geno! I know he'll spread this around his inner circle. Megan, whether we call it a break out year or simply what it will be--her first year without KLS or her buddy Napheesa. Now she will be ONE of the "go to' players. Taking over now will be a necessity she and CW, Danger, are the leaders. I expect big things from those 3. ONO I'm not overlooking. I think she will probably be the defensive player of the year for the AAC and maybe one of Uconn's top scorers. I hope Ania, Aubrey, Westbrook along With Evelyn and Touly don't hold back and show the world what they are made of--Ania, I know she is special special...

Reaction Score
????
How do you know what drills UCONN does? I'm not saying you don't, but do you?

As far as "good basics" -- are you suggesting a Geno Auriemma coached team isn't coached with "good basics?" You used the word "if" so my guess is you aren't saying Geno isn't coaching his team well - so you are just throwing it out there suggesting "if' but not really believing is my guess?

Because I'll put Geno's way of coaching vs Kim's any day any time. IMO what you saw is that Baylor was a combination of a big team and an athletic team whose offense would understandably be much more dependent on offensive rebounding than finesse teams. Though I prefer the smaller power forward in which you can spread the offense. This is sort of how UCONN has played a lot. I think that overall is best, Of course I love offensive rebounding but I love the execution of the offense including 3pt shooting more.

Last year's Huskies were incredibly small-- and Katie Lou and Danger imo didn't quite have the year we would have loved, yet we still still got to the final four. Of which Kim's teams for years didn't reach that despite the superior-great size they have had. This was UCONN's weakest team in years and they still got there. The basics of UCONN and sustainability is unparalleled
Ming a ding ding ding what leaps to mis-interpretation of words. Most long time BY'ers have seen Geno coach and make assumptions on what he may or may not do based on that.
Obviously, you are in good company when you select Geno over Kim's coaching. Just count the Championship and FF's and compare. Uconn WAS NOT "incredibly SMALL last year--6 ft1 plus or minus Collier, 6ft 1 Walker, 5ft 11 CW, 6ft 3 KLS, ONO 6ft 4 plus. No small by any reach of the imagination. Would have great to have another 6ft 6 or so hanging around, sure.
Geno has lament over the years the lack of fundamentals many kids arrive on campus with so certainly he teaches basic. If you watch CW or Megan on defense they are using Geno's defense basic---always keep your opponent AND the ball in your view. His video shows just that. Follow through on your 3's of FT's, again in his basic video. Yes he does teach Fundamental to those needing them. But bet you bippy Ania and Muhl will arrive with fine fundamental, Europeans aren't educated in the AAU fashion. Again, from a comment or 3 Geno has made over the years,
A bit overzealous of UConn but hang around this coming season may be all you desire!!

Reaction Score
He said she can be as good a player as there is out there. I have always thought so as well, many boneyarders think she has done well and played to her potential and I just think she can do so much more. You can tell when a player has much more inside of them by watching the timidity and safeness they play with. I just want her to have that takeover mentality like I know she can. Hopefully she can play some wing now that there’s a taller player in the post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom