Will Luck Overcome Skill | The Boneyard

Will Luck Overcome Skill

Reaction Score
Once again, as has been the rule for the past several years, the UCONN Woman's basketball Team is about to have the “GAME OF THE YEAR” with South Carolina. There is no way that South Carolina, a team with two super star I type players should be able to beat UCONN – a team with no I type players only superstar We's. UCONN is simply too well trained and synergistic ally proficient on a level apart from the rest of college woman's basketball.

However, South Carolina, is definitely a team that has the potential to UPSET our Huskies. Potential for this conversation is a synonym for LUCK. Luck will always beat skill. However, luck is a fleeting thing, usually of unknown and short duration. Skill is continuous with no fluctuation in its duration. So in the long run – SKILL will always beat those who need Luck to be victorious. UCONN is the personification of SKILL. Therefore, UCONN should win this game with no trouble, as UCONN's skill level is superior to that of South Carolina.

And, should LUCK attach itself to South Carolina to give them an improbable victory– what better time to get the STREAK MONKEY of their back so UCONN can concentrate fully on preparing to win NUMBER 12.

Reaction Score
On paper, there is no way that Connecticut should be able to compete with South Carolina. That UConn has beaten half of the top ten teams in the nation is amazing. But, as you say, this team is razor-thin. Only one reliable kid coming off the bench- Crystal. Any real foul trouble, and UConn is in big trouble. And if anyone has a bad game, UConn could, on paper, fade fast.

But on the other hand, South Carolina has underperformed all year. They have not really blown out inferior teams. Scoring has been meager. And they are chronically unable, or unwilling, to make full use of their superstar post player A'ja Jones.

We'll see. On thing should be certain should UConn win, however: Geno Auriemma should be unanimous national coach of the year. If they win.

Reaction Score
Once again, as has been the rule for the past several years, the UCONN Woman's basketball Team is about to have the “GAME OF THE YEAR” with South Carolina. There is no way that South Carolina, a team with two super star I type players should be able to beat UCONN – a team with no I type players only superstar We's. UCONN is simply too well trained and synergistic ally proficient on a level apart from the rest of college woman's basketball.

However, South Carolina, is definitely a team that has the potential to UPSET our Huskies. Potential for this conversation is a synonym for LUCK. Luck will always beat skill. However, luck is a fleeting thing, usually of unknown and short duration. Skill is continuous with no fluctuation in its duration. So in the long run – SKILL will always beat those who need Luck to be victorious. UCONN is the personification of SKILL. Therefore, UCONN should win this game with no trouble, as UCONN's skill level is superior to that of South Carolina.

And, should LUCK attach itself to South Carolina to give them an improbable victory– what better time to get the STREAK MONKEY of their back so UCONN can concentrate fully on preparing to win NUMBER 12.
I was 100 percent with you--until your second paragraph. Even there, by your definition--of luck I accept.
Skill is where I differ---it is not constant. Even within games --thinking of Katie Lou--talent ebbs and flows--
Hot shooting nights--slumps--. We have YET TO SEE whether Uconn's skill level is superior to USC--I think you are correct--but we won't know until talent clashes with talent.

One more on Luck---Luck usually occurs when you are prepared properly for an event (that you can control).
Most victories attributed to luck --people never saw the preparation to make that luck happen.

In that regard--I'll take Geno's luck over Dawns luck. Monkey Streak---I doubt that creates any further pressure on team members than they already have for each individual game---case in point--any pressure because of the streak going into the SMU game//? Easy answer is no. Will there be pressure for the USC game--I would assume that to be true.

Reaction Score
On paper, there is no way that Connecticut should be able to compete with South Carolina. That UConn has beaten half of the top ten teams in the nation is amazing. But, as you say, this team is razor-thin. Only one reliable kid coming off the bench- Crystal. Any real foul trouble, and UConn is in big trouble. And if anyone has a bad game, UConn could, on paper, fade fast.

But on the other hand, South Carolina has underperformed all year. They have not really blown out inferior teams. Scoring has been meager. And they are chronically unable, or unwilling, to make full use of their superstar post player A'ja Jones.

We'll see. On thing should be certain should UConn win, however: Geno Auriemma should be unanimous national coach of the year. If they win.
You mean A'Ja Wilson?

Reaction Score

your paper must be laced with lsd, because the only thing south carolina has on uconn is height.

Reaction Score
This game has the potential to be Natalie's break-out game. With size being an issue, she will get her chance, IMO.

Reaction Score
Even on a bad shooting night, Uconn still managed to put good points on the board.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One more on Luck---Luck usually occurs when you are prepared properly for an event (that you can control).
Most victories attributed to luck --people never saw the preparation to make that luck happen.

Yep, I firmly believe that you make your own luck. ("Accidents never happen in a perfect world" isn't quite appropriate here, but I really wanted to quote Blondie.)

Reaction Score
Yep, I firmly believe that you make your own luck. ("Accidents never happen in a perfect world" isn't quite appropriate here, but I really wanted to quote Blondie.)
Hold on now--you just brought up a new twist--un basket ball like. Psychologists, to some degree, believe some accidents are "on purposes". In a perfect world NOTHING happens--if it did ---it wouldn't be perfect obviously in a perfect world there would be no humans---humans are the most imperfect acting, thinking, creatures. The perfect world would only have dogs or cat or both---you see it is perfect for dogs to chase cats and for cats to claw.

Reaction Score
I was 100 percent with you--until your second paragraph. Even there, by your definition--of luck I accept.
Skill is where I differ---it is not constant. Even within games --thinking of Katie Lou--talent ebbs and flows--
Hot shooting nights--slumps--. We have YET TO SEE whether Uconn's skill level is superior to USC--I think you are correct--but we won't know until talent clashes with talent.

In that regard--I'll take Geno's luck over Dawns luck. Monkey Streak---I doubt that creates any further pressure on team members than they already have for each individual game---case in point--any pressure because of the streak going into the SMU game//? Easy answer is no. Will there be pressure for the USC game--I would assume that to be true.

Reaction Score
Team skill is different from individual skill. As anyone who has followed UCONN knows, even when their best player is having a rather poor night, the TEAM'S synergistic quality pretty much negates the individual's sub-par performance. The overall efficiency of the machine is not diminished by much, as compared to teams who count on one or two players for any chance of success against a power such as UCONN. UCONN is collection of total WE players, they care nothing about I - Like a true Navy Seal their main concern is the well being of their fellow Seal, whom they will die for without hesitation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You mean A'Ja Wilson?
coll-basketball-uconns-asjha-jones-and-diana-taurasi-in-action-vs-picture-id81456573

Reaction Score
On paper, there is no way that Connecticut should be able to compete with South Carolina. Say what? They have maybe two good players. That UConn has beaten half of the top ten teams in the nation is amazing. But, as you say, this team is razor-thin. Only one reliable kid coming off the bench- Crystal. Nat can and has provided some good relief minutes. Any real foul trouble, and UConn is in big trouble. And if anyone has a bad game, UConn could, on paper, fade fast.

But on the other hand, South Carolina has underperformed all year. All year, doesn't that mean something, like maybe they aren't as good as many think? I've never been convinced. I've never been impressed by A'ja's lack of intensity and Coates will tire and quit when the going gets tough. They have not really blown out inferior teams. So how do you figure we shouldn't be able to compete with them outside of what everyone agrees with, foul trouble? Scoring has been meager. And they are chronically unable, or unwilling, to make full use of their superstar post player A'ja Jones. Exactly!

We'll see. On thing should be certain should UConn win, however: Geno Auriemma should be unanimous national coach of the year. If they win......the NC, not just this one game.

Reaction Score

They are already concentrating on winning #12. How? By winning every single game, by responding to Geno's criticism of every little mistake they make, by three hour punishing practices the day before a game, etc. Streak Monkey, huh? This team doesn't need a loss to get motivated.

Reaction Score
Team skill is different from individual skill. As anyone who has followed UCONN knows, even when their best player is having a rather poor night, the TEAM'S synergistic quality pretty much negates the individual's sub-par performance. The overall efficiency of the machine is not diminished by much, as compared to teams who count on one or two players for any chance of success against a power such as UCONN. UCONN is collection of total WE players, they care nothing about I - Like a true Navy Seal their main concern is the well being of their fellow Seal, whom they will die for without hesitation.

Interesting concept----however Geno's teams have had almost total bad nights--it looked like a psychological effect when the top player couldn't score the rest lost belief--and the results are in the W/L column. Maya's final game comes to mind--if she any help at all they would have won--her 30 some points were not enough.
I would caution anyone to not put beyond human abilities on this team or Geno--they ARE human with all the traits. They have done exceptionally well so far this season, some would say they exceeded their potential.
We shall see --what WE shall see--. Geno expects every team to believe in TEAM--with the reliance on individuals.
You are correct in saying it is more difficult to defeat a team with 5 scoring threats rather than one or two--look around how many teams with one or two top level scoring threats are still undefeated. Yet Uconn has won and won big with DT as the sole REAL threat--and Maya as the major threat--(after Tina moved on) ---I drink the Geno Cool Aid but I am not in the group that believe him infallible or a god. We have seen him lose--human.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What's that famous aphorism? "Fortune favors the prepared." Or something like that. I believe that UConn will be prepared.

That is very true. Texas was prepared to beat Baylor...Baylor was not prepared. Will South Carolina come into UCONN prepared like Texas was? Hunger to make a statement is a powerful drug.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hold on now--you just brought up a new twist--un basket ball like. Psychologists, to some degree, believe some accidents are "on purposes". In a perfect world NOTHING happens--if it did ---it wouldn't be perfect obviously in a perfect world there would be no humans---humans are the most imperfect acting, thinking, creatures. The perfect world would only have dogs or cat or both---you see it is perfect for dogs to chase cats and for cats to claw.

What do porpoises have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
Huskies have 5 future wnba players in the starting lineup ! Funny, how none of the so called experts ever mention that fact. Interesting announcers like Nel Fortner would rather discuss possible uconn foul trouble instead of talent .

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Huskies have 5 future wnba players in the starting lineup ! Funny, how none of the so called experts ever mention that fact. Interesting announcers like Nel Fortner would rather discuss possible uconn foul trouble instead of talent .

I noticed that too. Is that really what the rest of the country is hoping for in order to beat UCONN? (LOL)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom