Will Lou do more underneath? | The Boneyard

Will Lou do more underneath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Scroll down to the second story here, which we've seen to have overlooked, about Lou and rebounding:
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville

UConn has plenty of players in the 6-foot range on this year's team but other than reserve center Natalie Butler and freshman forward Kyla Irwin, the Huskies don't have the height of teams past. that is where the 6-foot-3 Samuelson can also help out.

"I think it will be really helpful if I can do more things that just stand on the 3-point line this year," Samuelson said. :We lost a really good post presence last year, Napheesa (Collier) and Gabby (Williams) have been doing a great job and have that versatility to play outside. If I can go inside, it is going to be tough how to guard us so I think adding that to my game is going to be helpful to this team."

Auriemma has seen Samuelson doing just that during the preseason.

"If you came to our practices and watch Lou at practice, you would not come away from there going 'wow, that kid is am amazing shooter and that is it,'" Auriemma said. "She has put herself on spots on the floor she has never been in our offense. She loves it: she is having fun with it."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree. I think that those on this board who denigrate Lou's skills in the paint (and there seem to be a lot of you) are just reacting to the fact that inside play wasn't her role last year. That doesn't mean that she isn't potentially a good enough athlete to do that if the team needs it, and apparently she is quite willling to do it.

I still remember the play against Mississippi State where she grabbed a rebound and made a stretch pass to Kia Nurse for an easy basket. Particularly given the nationality of the recipient of that pass, it reminded me of a hockey play where a defenseman makes a pass from deep in his own zone that hits a forward just as he crosses the opponent's blue line, trapping the entire opposing team. That's exactly what happened on that play, as five maroon-uniformed defenders turned to find themselves chasing the ball.

I think that Geno and the other coaches looked at MSU tapes and saw that they had a weakness in transition defense, so they specifically rehearsed that pass or something like it. But it shows how Lou could follow their instructions, see that play when it was available, and make it without any hesitation at all.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that you, JoePgh, not to mention Geno!, are correct. I am second to none in my admiration for Lou, but too often she seemed to me to not be quite able to anticipate a rebound. She's certainly tough enough--she drives hard, inviting contact. But I want to see her banging against big bodies in the paint, rather than hanging around the perimeter looking for a fast break (from the defensive boards) or a kick-out 3 (from the offensive boards). If Natalie is not in, she's the tallest Husky, and she needs to play like that.

Reaction Score
KLS's best strength is her shooting. Yes it helps overall if she can bust smaller players in the post. Her overall game in terms of growth will be determined how tough she becomes on both offense and defense but I wouldn't expect her to transfer into "a physical Larry Bird" in her soph year. Take a look at the Pace game and there was a rebound she could have gotten - she got shoved in the back slightly and she just couldn't get the ball. She has to learn to get tougher - it doesn't happen over night. When I played - physical players always gave me fits because I could get shoved slightly in the back and it threw off my jump getting the ball. I agree KLS needs to learn and certainly she shouldn't just want to be a 3pt shooter but she is so amazing at that - that should be her primary weapon. Versatility should be what KLS strives for but her 3pt shot is one of beauty that should be always her primary weapon.

I mentioned Larry Bird before because I read last year that Bird is one her idols/players she looked up to/ tried to emulate. I have an old tape of the Lakers/Celts championship series in which the Celts won in 7. Tom Heinsohn was doing the games and at one point during the series - game 3 or game 4 proclaimed the Celts were going to win because they figured a way to beat the Lakers. Two things they did were they put Johnson on Magic and secondly on the offensive end they put Bird more in the low post vs the smaller great defender in Cooper. In order for KLS to become super super she'll have to be able to take advantage of her size and low post smaller players similar to what Bird was able to do. Her 3ball won't be on all night. But with that said, her strength is her 3 ball and on defense she still isn't "strong" inside. She is possibly "capable" but still not strong.

Look for KLS to continue to be supreme from the outside and hopefully keep gradually improving her toughness along with offensive back-to-basket play. And get physically tougher with greater year-over-year ability to fight for rebounds in the paint.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou was the understudy to the great Stewie. She knows she needs to be more versatile and will become so. It's the same message that Geno gave to the other great shooter from Mater Dei. Kaleena left with 3 national championships, 2 AA selections, the NCAA record for 3-pointers, and tied for 3rd (now 4th) in UConn career scoring. Her elbow injury and illness likely cost her 1 AA selection, 30 3-pointers, and 200 career points. Lou has more height and length than Kaleena, so she may have more upside. Kaleena was a great college player.

Reaction Score
I can see in my mind's eye the way the Samuelson sisters were used at Stanford. They would run down on offense and set up on (usually) the right sideline. From there they would launch pretty accurate 3's. Both of Lou's sisters are tall but seemed always to play on the perimeter. Lou looked like that last year with a few exceptions. I also remember Bre getting bounced around inside during her freshman year. Stewart was "forced" to play inside due to the shortage (sound familiar) of UConn bigs. And she became a great all-around player. Will Lou follow that trajectory? She provided a glimpse of the range of her offense during the preseason (I wish she had played more against Pace). Necessity, they say, is the Mother of Invention. Look for a New Lou.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Lou was the understudy to the great Stewie. She knows she needs to be more versatile and will become so. It's the same message that Geno gave to the other great shooter from Mater Dei. Kaleena left with 3 national championships, 2 AA selections, the NCAA record for 3-pointers, and tied for 3rd (now 4th) in UConn career scoring. Her elbow injury and illness likely cost her 1 AA selection, 30 3-pointers, and 200 career points. Lou has more height and length than Kaleena, so she may have more upside. Kaleena was a great college player.
I always thought it was such a pity about the 3-pointers. She would have been the first to break 400 and would have blown away the old record. Her mark might well have stood for a long time.

Reaction Score
Stewie was a somewhat weak inside player as a freshman and continually lost rebounds or had them ripped from her grasp. Obviously over the course of her years in Storrs she built up strength and toughness and evolved into a pretty tough kid who has continued to grow into a superb WNBA player. I don't see any reason why KLS can't inevitably be a pretty good inside player as I saw videos of her in high school where she seemed to demonstrate some skills down low. If she stays healthy, she's going to surprise a lot of Boneyard fans with her total game before she leaves Storrs. JMHO!

Reaction Score
I can see in my mind's eye the way the Samuelson sisters were used at Stanford. They would run down on offense and set up on (usually) the right sideline. From there they would launch pretty accurate 3's. Both of Lou's sisters are tall but seemed always to play on the perimeter. Lou looked like that last year with a few exceptions. I also remember Bre getting bounced around inside during her freshman year. Stewart was "forced" to play inside due to the shortage (sound familiar) of UConn bigs. And she became a great all-around player. Will Lou follow that trajectory? She provided a glimpse of the range of her offense during the preseason (I wish she had played more against Pace). Necessity, they say, is the Mother of Invention. Look for a New Lou.
I'm inclined to think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with the new and improved KLS. I think she did exactly what Geno and the staff wanted her to do last year because of the inside presence of both Morgan and Breanna but with the needs of the time, I'm confident she'll bloom very nicely mixing things up both inside and out.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Katie Lou will have a good season, as long as she stays away from injury. That would seem to be true for several of our favorites.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that you, JoePgh, not to mention Geno!, are correct. I am second to none in my admiration for Lou, but too often she seemed to me to not be quite able to anticipate a rebound. She's certainly tough enough--she drives hard, inviting contact. But I want to see her banging against big bodies in the paint, rather than hanging around the perimeter looking for a fast break (from the defensive boards) or a kick-out 3 (from the offensive boards). If Natalie is not in, she's the tallest Husky, and she needs to play like that.

I have to second JoePgh's assessment of KatieLou. Last spring before her injury she spent a lot of time under the hoop. She took more layups. She spent less time on the 3 point line and moved more. I was certain then that Geno was working her for this year. Anyone who ever though Katie Lou was just a 3 ball shooter--shall be surprised.
In much of my posting on KLS i've pointed out her defense, her rebounding, attacking off the dribble, top of the key 2 pointer, and then her patented 3's. Geno complained that KML was just a shooter of the 3. in her Soph year she moved in closer by her 3rd year she was rebounding and it was then I called her a Basketball player---I'll wait and see--but I'll wager money that KLS shall be an all around Basketball player before too long--if not now..

Reaction Score
Bonnie and KARLIE as freshman sophs, maybe jr's were used terribly wrong--as you point out--they setup for the 3 then ran the other way. Bonnie as a Sr. rebounded and defended well--
When Geno said he had the best Samuleson sister--that wasn't puff it was true--and he'll make her the greatest Samuelson who will go very high in the Wnba-when the time comes. Until then she'll be the best basket ball player Samuelson--and she'll do everything needed on the court.

Reaction Score
I have to second JoePgh's assessment of KatieLou. Last spring before her injury she spent a lot of time under the hoop. She took more layups. She spent less time on the 3 point line and moved more. I was certain then that Geno was working her for this year. Anyone who ever though Katie Lou was just a 3 ball shooter--shall be surprised.
In much of my posting on KLS i've pointed out her defense, her rebounding, attacking off the dribble, top of the key 2 pointer, and then her patented 3's. Geno complained that KML was just a shooter of the 3. in her Soph year she moved in closer by her 3rd year she was rebounding and it was then I called her a Basketball player---I'll wait and see--but I'll wager money that KLS shall be an all around Basketball player before too long--if not now..
We agree on that. I'm talking about rebounding, especially defensive rebounding.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's sign-worthy: New Lou! :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I always thought it was such a pity about the 3-pointers. She would have been the first to break 400 and would have blown away the old record. Her mark might well have stood for a long time.
Kelsey Mitchell is on track to break the career record, but her team has more balance this year. We'll see how she does. I totally agree that I would have loved to see K with 425-450 treys. She really opened the offense for us. Her ball rotation was perfect.

Reaction Score
We agree on that. I'm talking about rebounding, especially defensive rebounding.
I f we are looking for Katie LOU to become Stewie over night --forget it!! Stewie took 3 plus years to become what she was last April.
I know you are aware that she shall rebound Defensively or Offensively --depending on the size and athleticism of the opponents and the help she gets from her mates. If Butler lives up to her own expectation by HALF--she'll be a back stop for Katie lOU and the team.
Without that help, at least initially and against taller-wider teams --it's asking an awful lot to expect Katie Lou to counter that by herself.
But again--I expect her to rebound, score, assist, lead, defend within her physical limitation---who can ask for more??

Reaction Score
Stewie was a somewhat weak inside player as a freshman and continually lost rebounds or had them ripped from her grasp. Obviously over the course of her years in Storrs she built up strength and toughness and evolved into a pretty tough kid who has continued to grow into a superb WNBA player. I don't see any reason why KLS can't inevitably be a pretty good inside player as I saw videos of her in high school where she seemed to demonstrate some skills down low. If she stays healthy, she's going to surprise a lot of Boneyard fans with her total game before she leaves Storrs. JMHO!
Stewart never got hurt though. KLS has and my fear is that too much banging around inside could sideline her for stretches of time.

Reaction Score
I f we are looking for Katie LOU to become Stewie over night --forget it!! Stewie took 3 plus years to become what she was last April.
Oh no, BroadwayVa! I don't mean to suggest that she'll ever be like Stewie; or like any other player. She's the first and only Lou. But my point is that Geno is now selling her as someone who is becoming aggressive at rebounding, and all I'm saying is that we didn't see that last year and clearly UConn really needs her to "play big" on defense this year.

Reaction Score
Oh no, BroadwayVa! I don't mean to suggest that she'll ever be like Stewie; or like any other player. She's the first and only Lou. But my point is that Geno is now selling her as someone who is becoming aggressive at rebounding, and all I'm saying is that we didn't see that last year and clearly UConn really needs her to "play big" on defense this year.[/QUOTE]

This member of your choir heard that.

First--I apologize for not being clear on YOU--I was trying to use the generalized form--mean all of youse guys.
Geno--(I have no direct conduit to him) is most likely trying to pump her up and get her going--apparently it worked last year with her shooting. (I have the best Samuelson).
Don't get me wrong--I have every concern about her and 9 others--I believe however that Katie Lou has the potential for greatness as does Crystal, Gabby, Collier, Bent, Kyla, Butler etc--the potential is there--will it happen--your guess is better than mine.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Check out the ND game in the NCAA finals in her Freshman year, her coming out party
Yeah, the whole, whole thing wasn't there quite yet...but enough offense to totally destroy the Irish.

Enough offense to carry the team to victory.

Reaction Score
Check out the ND game in the NCAA finals in her Freshman year, her coming out party
Yeah, the whole, whole thing wasn't there quite yet...but enough offense to totally destroy the Irish.

Enough offense to carry the team to victory.
I \]

I buy part of what you are selling-but you missed the point.
My point is no player on the Uconn team in November--will be as the will be in April--even Stewie. Being great sometimes come with birth some with that birth talent needs adjustments even stewie did--I said : It took Stewie 3 plus years to be as she way last april- a truism---so don't expect KLS to be that good as a starting Soph!!

Team worked fine once stewie got the concept--i'm not sure how far Stewie without Tuck, Moriah, eventually klS would have gone . She is fantastic--no doubt.
The whole whole whole of Katie Lou has not been seen yet--who knows where she may take us???

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I \]

I buy part of what you are selling-but you missed the point.
My point is no player on the Uconn team in November--will be as the will be in April--even Stewie. Being great sometimes come with birth some with that birth talent needs adjustments even stewie did--I said : It took Stewie 3 plus years to be as she way last april- a truism---so don't expect KLS to be that good as a starting Soph!!

Team worked fine once stewie got the concept--i'm not sure how far Stewie without Tuck, Moriah, eventually klS would have gone . She is fantastic--no doubt.
The whole whole whole of Katie Lou has not been seen yet--who knows where she may take us???

I'm taken by Coach's observations.

Reaction Score
I'm taken by Coach's observations.

I agree ---his observations on Crystal, Bent, and Irwin are interesting .

With his upper classmen (classwomen) at the beginning of a new year--he blows hot and cold smoke at his top players to motivate them, prod them, kick them, move them into greatness--it works more times than not. His words on Chong, Collier, Katie Lou should not be taken as every word is fact--it's motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom