will Joe D pick up a T before Ollie? | The Boneyard

will Joe D pick up a T before Ollie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think so. Yesterday he sounded like a frustrated man when describing some of the bad calls, I think he's seen enough from these AAC crews

I think he's ready to storm the court and take one for the team

Somebody has to

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Love listening to Joe D. No coincidence they always have his radio call dubbed over the video when they show our big moments on TV.
Agree. Joe D. does a great job. I just feel bad for Wayne Norman sometimes. Dude can't get a word in edgewise.

On to Willie's point. I agree with that as well. Ollie needs to get T'd up and/or tossed at some of this nonsense. Needs to make a point to these refs.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think so. Yesterday he sounded like a frustrated man when describing some of the bad calls, I think he's seen enough from these AAC crews

Somebody has to
This is hysterical. Are we talking about the same guy who got funking thrown out of a game last year ?

I'm curious if it's good or bad going through life being an expert on so many things

Reaction Score
This is hysterical. Are we talking about the same guy who got funking thrown out of a game last year ?

I'm curious if it's good or bad going through life being an expert on so many things

You don't think he's passive with the officials, that one incident notwithstanding?

On a related note, do you have eyes and have you had them checked lately?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Most of the crews aren't that different from the Big East. They're experienced guys from other conferences.

I also can't believe how many UConn games Duke Edsall has done. I'm not saying he has an agenda for his brother. I'm just surprised they even let it happen.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
The bad officiating - particularly against Brimah is really getting out of control. This pathetic group of officials makes me long for the days of the BE zebras

KO finally showed some fire on the sideline last night. He was running around, jumping up and down and bringing some energy to his team after (surprise, surprise) another slow start - I haven't seen that from him since the championship game

Gimme one T before the year is out KO...is that too much to ask?!

Reaction Score
Then that must have been the first game you watched since then. I understand being disappointed with the results because you remind us ad nauseum, but there's no need to lie. This myth that KO is just sitting there watching it all unfold while being unfazed is one of the more bizarre myths floating around on here.

The bad officiating - particularly against Brimah is really getting out of control. This pathetic group of officials makes me long for the days of the BE zebras

KO finally showed some fire on the sideline last night. He was running around, jumping up and down and bringing some energy to his team after (surprise, surprise) another slow start - I haven't seen that from him since the championship game

Gimme one T before the year is out KO...is that too much to ask?!

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Not sure what's going on, but there have been an astonishing amount of bad calls this season. How many games would JC have gotten tossed out of, I wonder...

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Then that must have been the first game you watched since then. I understand being disappointed with the results because you remind us ad nauseum, but there's no need to lie. This myth that KO is just sitting there watching it all unfold while being unfazed is one of the more bizarre myths floating around on here.
Yes you are right, I don't watch any games...you got me

It's clearly exaggeration and the fact that this thread exists shows that others have seen a different and less demonstrative KO than the previous two seasons (not just his championship year). We all know about his well documented off the court family situation, but he has seemed more like his old self as of late rather than complacent and frustrated as he was earlier in the year.

I still can't see how he hasn't had a T yet all year. He has had ample opportunity to get on the officials in a way to stick up for his players and also light a fire under their sleepwalking asses...but now I ask you, have you been watching the same games and the atrocious officiating??

JC would have been rung up multiple times and I bet tossed from a game by now

Reaction Score
Joe D is alright, but man, is there a worse radio voice out there? Maybe the standard is a bit lower for these university broadcast teams.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the refs, I'm talking about the part I specifically bolded, being active on the sidelines, basically simulating D with the team, calling out instructions. He's been doing that all year, you trying to say last night was the first time he's done it since the championship is bogus as hell.

Yes you are right, I don't watch any games...you got me

It's clearly exaggeration and the fact that this thread exists shows that others have seen a different and less demonstrative KO than the previous two seasons (not just his championship year). We all know about his well documented off the court family situation, but he has seemed more like his old self as of late rather than complacent and frustrated as he was earlier in the year.

I still can't see how he hasn't had a T yet all year. He has had ample opportunity to get on the officials in a way to stick up for his players and also light a fire under their sleepwalking asses...but now I ask you, have you been watching the same games and the atrocious officiating??

JC would have been rung up multiple times and I bet tossed from a game by now

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the refs, I'm talking about the part I specifically bolded, being active on the sidelines, basically simulating D with the team, calling out instructions. He's been doing that all year, you trying to say last night was the first time he's done it since the championship is bogus as hell.
Exaggerated to make a point as I said...I still would like to see more from him this year. He and the rest of the coaching staff is not without blame for this year's on court performance

Reaction Score
When Brimah fouled out he went to the bench practically crying to Ollie that it wasn't fair. Ollie responded by basically hugging him (not a K hug by the way).

I was disturbed seeing that. That is not the support our kids need, they need someone to respond to the 'bullying' by going after the bullies. And its not all right when it repeatedly happens.

I would have preferred Ollie to look at the dismay in his player's eyes and tear a new into the refs. Its like the unacceptable has become the acceptable.

Sure Ollie doesn't want the bitchin rep, but damn Coach say/do something to stop the 'bullying'!

btw: Its not just one sided as we tend to focus on UConn, reffin is just not that good.

Reaction Score
When Brimah fouled out he went to the bench practically crying to Ollie that it wasn't fair. Ollie responded by basically hugging him (not a K hug by the way).

I was disturbed seeing that. That is not the support our kids need, they need someone to respond to the 'bullying' by going after the bullies. And its not all right when it repeatedly happens.

I would have preferred Ollie to look at the dismay in his player's eyes and tear a new into the refs. Its like the unacceptable has become the acceptable.

Sure Ollie doesn't want the bitchin rep, but damn Coach say/do something to stop the 'bullying'!

btw: Its not just one sided as we tend to focus on UConn, reffin is just not that good.

Wasn't it a 2 possession game with 2 minutes left when Brimah fouled out? It disturbed you that our coach didn't go nuts on the refs and possibly pick up a T in that situation?

Reaction Score
Wasn't it a 2 possession game with 2 minutes left when Brimah fouled out? It disturbed you that our coach didn't go nuts on the refs and possibly pick up a T in that situation?
Nah, it was just the first example that came to mind, it wasn't the first time all game or season for that matter. There have been plenty of opportunities for Ollie to voice his displeasure and put the refs on notice.

Reaction Score

Hate to say it but Brimah's foul troubles are on Brimah and not the refs. He definitely gets a ton of bad calls against him, but it's because he doesn't know how to position himself and isn't strong enough to body up in the post.

He guards the post putting his elbow on the offender instead of bodying up with his chest. This is due to his lack of strength. Also a lot of times on rebounds he reaches out instead of getting lower and boxing people for the ball. I agree that a lot of the calls are cheap calls, but since Brimah looks so uncoordinated and is constantly reaching with his arms instead of bodying up they look like fouls to the refs. He needs more practice and strength so he doesn't put the refs in a position of deciding whether or not to call a foul on a 50 / 50 play.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is a different coach. He's not JC. We liked the T but he got ejected from that game, the ref didn't change his calling and may have been worse after the ejection and UConn lost.

I like the fire where I think it does the most good. In the locker room at half time. Whatever KO did it worked. Team played inspired bb.

Reaction Score
Not sure what's going on, but there have been an astonishing amount of bad calls this season. How many games would JC have gotten tossed out of, I wonder...

None, because he would have been working the officials from the opening whistle and making sure the calls were even...or better.

This is something Ollie has to do if he and our team are ever going to get the respect we deserve. It shouldn't be that way, but it's a fact of life in college basketball.

Reaction Score

That is last year Ollie with a upper classmen. The divorce and being totally clueless at times how to motivate the team this year. Sorry I feel this hasn't been Ollie's best coaching after what we saw the last two years and how he was able to inspire them. I love Ollie but does seem more withdrawn this year unlike last or the previous year.

Reaction Score

Somebody has to

Aren't you the same guy who said he was "done" with this team two weeks ago? What happened?

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Hate to say it but Brimah's foul troubles are on Brimah and not the refs. He definitely gets a ton of bad calls against him, but it's because he doesn't know how to position himself and isn't strong enough to body up in the post.

He guards the post putting his elbow on the offender instead of bodying up with his chest. This is due to his lack of strength. Also a lot of times on rebounds he reaches out instead of getting lower and boxing people for the ball. I agree that a lot of the calls are cheap calls, but since Brimah looks so uncoordinated and is constantly reaching with his arms instead of bodying up they look like fouls to the refs. He needs more practice and strength so he doesn't put the refs in a position of deciding whether or not to call a foul on a 50 / 50 play.
I agree, Brimah doesn't do himself any favors and because of that he doesn't get any of the 50/50 calls. I just feel like these refs can't call a good game with a legit 7 foot shot blocker. He gets killed for touch fouls and for borderline fouls when a guy creates the contact and Brimah still sends it back.

He has to know that the refs are looking for any excuse to whistle him and he can't be picking up his 4th foul of the game on a hand check in the post

Reaction Score
My biggest gripe is with off the ball fouls. All teams get overly physical off the ball and some like SMU, Cinci have it down to a science. Yet (it seems) at a critical part of the game or to a critical player (Amida) these calls go against us. In general, off-the ball fouls, 3 second calls on us, and 3 second calls missed on the other team (can you say offensive rebound?) are killer.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

ouch, you got me good

PS: your need to cite one game from 14 momths ago spanning 3 seconds of time speaks for itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom