Will Jalen be UConn's next All American? | The Boneyard

Will Jalen be UConn's next All American?

Reaction Score
I really think we have a potential AA on this squad. Mainly because we will have 3 and 4 year players who can really ball. The bigs are raw so I'm not sure what the long term read is for them.

I think Jalen will shine and get selected. I remember his recruiting with Briscoe and feeling that he was his equal. Remember Briscoe was getting all the shine. After last season I think he's better.

If Jalen improves his stroke this season to match his confidence and swag, I think he will be one of the best guards in the Country. With AG returning and our other supporting guards, it will free Jalen up to really excel. I also feel Ollie will positively impact Jalen to the point that he will be on Shabazz's level without the post season success. He's got what it takes.

For it to happen though we need a lot of wins, beginning with the PK80 which I expect to be his coming out party.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He definitely can. It comes down to if he worked hard in the offseason, has confidence, and will to win

Reaction Score
He needs to be a team leader and we need great team chemistry. Kemba and Bazz were good leaders and the team gelled really well. If he does that we should be in good shape.

I can't see him sticking around for his senior year but if he did - no doubt an All American his senior year. If he wants a ring he'll do it! I'm not sure about this year but wouldn't be surprised if he made it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes. I'm feeling magnanimous today.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He averaged 40.2 minutes a game last year. Played hurt for a portion of the year. Talent around him was less than ideal and he still put up some very good numbers. If things go as planned this year he will be better rested and have more talent on the court with him. Hopefully he stays healthy and adds something every year like the great ones do. If he adds the ability to get to the free throw line more often I think AA is very doable. Personally, I think he is going to far exceed expectations. I think he's a special player. I predict AAC player of the year.

Reaction Score
Talent wise, it's all there.

My only worries are that he didn't play a ton in the off-season because of lingering injury and I'm not sure he's figured out how to draw fouls ala Kemba and Bazz.

Reaction Score
If he plays at an AA level wire to wire this team could make a nice run. I think AG is going to be really good as that kid just has that IT factor you look for.

Reaction Score
He will basically have to cut his turnovers in half to even have a shot, because that's what held him back last year and this year he will probably have fewer assists.

On top of that, Kevin Ollie has mentioned that he wants Adams 40%+ on 3PA, which he'd also need to do.

Adams has a ton of talent, but the guys who become AA have absolutely insane years. Everything will have to go right.

Reaction Score
When I first read this thread title I was thinking of Jalen Carey and was like wtf did we land him?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SIMPLE - if he plays like he did in Hawaii - he will be AA and maybe (size may crimp it a bit) a lottery pick

Reaction Score
I think he'll be the best college player on the floor in every game he plays this year. He has a chance.
We play against Brunson, Trier, Ayton, Shamet, and maybe Miles Bridges, so I have to disagree with you

Reaction Score
SIMPLE - if he plays like he did in Hawaii - he will be AA and maybe (size may crimp it a bit) a lottery pick

I mean if he is dropping 29/7.3/6 on average, like he did in Maui, we are in for one heck of a season, and he's probably going near the top of the draft. I would be very, very happy with that. Assuming it isn't on 45 shots a game. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just can't see it. But I would love to eat some crow at season's end.

Reaction Score
We play against Brunson, Trier, Ayton, Shamet, and maybe Miles Bridges, so I have to disagree with you

Not a one on that list should be head and shoulders above JALEN Adams ... if he really wants to shine at his highest level. Yes, I think highly of the kid. I expect him to be great ... the arc of his development has gone well. I do think the three things listed are keys: needs to shoot better from 3; needs to cut turnovers in half; and Lead us to a winning tournament worthy mark.

Reaction Score
I think he'll be the best college player on the floor in every game he plays this year. He has a chance.

Larrier and Gilbert might have something to say about that...

Reaction Score
Of the 22 players that were ranked ahead of him in the 2015 class (rivals), only four of them are playing college basketball next season. Given the fact that he'll turn 22 in December, he's essentially the oldest talented player in the country. So this doesn't need to be over-complicated - he has a chance to be really good.

But more goes into it then just that. Things like hype, exposure, and team success play a big role. Shabazz was basically the same player as a junior that he was as a senior (postseason notwithstanding) and he went from an afterthought to a first team all-American. Jalen has a couple things working against him that will have nothing to do with how good he actually is:

1. The team is unlikely to be really good - they could be good, but it's unlikely they'll truly be in the mix.

2. Even if we are good, there might be a lag effect in him being recognized because of the fact that we're coming off the worst season in the modern era of the program and play in the AAC (a conference, by the way, that gets more exposure than people think, just not nearly as much as the ACC, big ten, etc.)

3. He isn't currently much of an NBA prospect, so whereas a guy like Ben Simmons or Fultz can generate a ton of buzz even on bad teams, Jalen won't have that luxury.

He can overcome the team being so so or not being a great NBA prospect, but probably not both. If a kid like Jawun Evans can do what he did last year and not make an all-American team, it's going to be tough for Jalen.

Reaction Score
3. He isn't currently much of an NBA prospect, so whereas a guy like Ben Simmons or Fultz can generate a ton of buzz even on bad teams, Jalen won't have that luxury.

I have a feeling this narrative will shift once the pre-season preview stuff comes out and especially once the season starts if he's playing at an All-American level (ala Luke Kennard, Buddy Hield, even Shabazz) he'll get the draft buzz.

Reaction Score
Given the fact that he'll turn 22 in December, he's essentially the oldest talented player in the country.

Hold up. I just checked and Jalen is 9 days older than me, but I graduated in May and he's starting junior year.... lucky bastid

Reaction Score
Saw an actual list of "Top 50 Players for the 2017-2018 season" and Jalen wasn't even on it. The sleep is real on him

Reaction Score
It looks like he changed his jersey number from #2 to 4 - anyone know the reason?

Reaction Score
He has a chance but Jalen needs to get in better shape physically, cut out the careless turnovers on the court, become a leader on the court and play more in control.

If he's playing like a shooting guard with Alterique running the show he will have no chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom