Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game? | The Boneyard

Will Hartford Athletic ever win a game?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's just a matter of getting used to the system.

Reaction Score
Yes. They haven’t played more than one game on the same field.

We’ve seen these killer road trips on MLS teams when they open their new stadiums. Even for established teams this start to the season is rough.

Reaction Score
They’ve lost the last two games on own goals. While own goals do happen when defenses are under on-going pressure as they have been (in general the opponent has controlled the bulk of play), it’s still an infrequent occurance to have that be the difference in one game much less two in a row. They could easily have draws in both games.

My concerns are their passiveness early in games and a lack of ball possession. They rarely build up from the back and control the ball and pace of play. Sometimes it’s a response to pressure and sometimes it appears to be by design, but they resort to the long ball much too quickly, more often than not resulting in a change of possession.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yes. They haven’t played more than one game on the same field.

We’ve seen these killer road trips on MLS teams when they open their new stadiums. Even for established teams this start to the season is rough.
I agree. Look at Portland in MLS. They are 0-1-3. They don't play a home game until June 1. That's an insane road trip. Not having a home field plays a role. Plus, it's been 4 games. It's a long season and this is their first. Give it time.

Reaction Score
Yes, I get they have no home. And I really don't wish them ill.

But using two own goals as an excuse is sort of like saying they lost because they were drunk. The excuse is worse than the losses.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They won pre-season games. They haven't been blown out, I can see a win coming.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ive watched some of every game. They have zero attack. They just have zero chance to score.

Reaction Score
Yes, I get they have no home. And I really don't wish them ill.

But using two own goals as an excuse is sort of like saying they lost because they were drunk. The excuse is worse than the losses.

Not always. Most own goals are a bad bounce. That was the case for the first own goal against Louisville, the defending league champs. The defender was less than five yards from the attacker and had a hard shot ricochet off his leg into the corner of the net. I've seen world class defenders have the same thing happen.

The goal against Indianapolis was an error. The defender tried to chest a cross down to his keeper from 8 yards out. That was, by itself, not a "drunk" move as it was a reasonable plan. If he tried to chest it down to himself there were attackers nearby that would have had a clear shot on goal. By chesting it to the keeper he was clearing it away from the attack. Unfortunately, he misdirected it.

Reaction Score
To me the two own goals tells me they are slightly better than their record.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They got smoked by the Rowdies 4-0.

Hartford UnAthletic.

I bet Hartford City would take these guys.

I was watching it when I posted. The goalie kept it from being 6 or 7.

Reaction Score
The team is looking at July to finally play in Dillion Stadium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just got my Rent seats and they take me to the end of June.

Reaction Score
The turf is regular green and looks fine (or at least like any other turf field as I too prefer grass).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom