Will Gonzaga Win the National Championship? | The Boneyard

Will Gonzaga Win the National Championship?

Reaction Score
It appears they will run the table and enter the NCAA Tournanent with a record of 32-0 or something close to it. Saint Mary's may get 1 more shot at them in the WCC Tourney.

They will get a 1 seed and the Final4 is close by in Phoenix. Bilas loves them.

I haven't seen any better team to this point in the season. The problem of course is how does their schedule translate to the national stage during March Madness?

This is general college hoops discussion but thought it would be interesting to post a new thread because of the rarity of a run like this. Will the Zags win it all?

Reaction Score
I think it's very, very difficult to predict a precise winner without seeing the actual games and potential match-ups. However, I think there's little doubt that Gonzaga is on the shortlist for teams that could win the whole thing. Watching them wrap up St. Mary's now, and they are impressive on both sides of the ball, on the perimeter, and in the paint. I think with the right draw they can make the final four easily, and frankly, even with a less than favorable draw (like a team that can match them on the front line - think UNC or maybe Purdue) in the second weekend, they could be tested but still emerge.

Short answer: yes, they're more than capable. But how high the probability will depend on the draw.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Elite 8 or 2nd Round exit. Odd, I know but that's what generally happens to soft 1 seeds. However, I would love to schedule them h/h for the next two seasons.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This is general college hoops discussion but thought it would be interesting to post a new thread because of the rarity of a run like this. Will the Zags win it all?
I think they're the favorites because of two things: They rebound the hell out of the ball, and they have great backcourt play (1.6/1 a/to ratio teamwide). So they don't give up second chance points and they don't give up cheap points.

That said, there are a couple of teams that can probably just run them out of the gym if it turns into a track meet.

Reaction Score
I think they're the favorites because of two things: They rebound the hell out of the ball, and they have great backcourt play (1.6/1 a/to ratio teamwide). So they don't give up second chance points and they don't give up cheap points.

That said, there are a couple of teams that can probably just run them out of the gym if it turns into a track meet.
Agreed, my guess they run into a team that just out athleticism's them.

Reaction Score

It seems candidates for that would be UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
It seems candidates for that would be UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina?
I don't think UCLA play enough defense – they're a second-tier contender.

KU is good but Self is Self in the tourney. UNC have defensive issues IMO, but if they get Pinson back that'll give them a boost and they'll probably be the favorites. UK has a ton of talent (duh) but if Monk can be contained they kind of fall apart. Villanova is really good, really well-coached, but undersized. Virginia is really well-coached but they don't have a guy who can go out and just win you a game, sand same with Louisville & West Virginia.

Baylor & Oregon are legit contenders IMO, and I honestly think Cincy is, as well. Arizona & Duke should be there, but Arizona is soft and Duke doesn't really have a PG.

It's a pretty wild & wide-open field. I just desperately don't want it to be UK, but I have this sinking feeling it'll be them b/c of their length & athleticism.

Reaction Score

KU is good but Self is Self in the tourney. UNC have defensive issues IMO, but if they get Pinson back that'll give them a boost and they'll probably be the favorites. UK has a ton of talent (duh) but if Monk can be contained they kind of fall apart. Villanova is really good, really well-coached, but undersized. Virginia is really well-coached but they don't have a guy who can go out and just win you a game, sand same with Louisville & West Virginia.

Baylor & Oregon are legit contenders IMO, and I honestly think Cincy is, as well. Arizona & Duke should be there, but Arizona is soft and Duke doesn't really have a PG.

It's a pretty wild & wide-open field. I just desperately don't want it to be UK, but I have this sinking feeling it'll be them b/c of their length & athleticism.
Great response. I just pulled a couple teams off Kenpom adjO ranking based on the run out of the gym statement. . I did not check tempo etc...no question UCLA is weak defensively.

Reaction Score

Wide open field for sure. I see UCLA as contenders because I think Ball is that good.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Wide open field for sure. I see UCLA as contenders because I think Ball is that good.
I wouldn't be shocked, but I'm kind of in denial just b/c I think Alford is scum.

Whatever happens this year, I don't want a blue blood to win. No UCLA, Duke, UK, KU, UNC or Louisville. And definitely no repeat from Villanova.

I need the field to come through this year. If that means Gonzaga, so be it. If it's Cincinnati, I'll pretend to be happy for @kobe. If it's Arizona, good enough.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked, but I'm kind of in denial just b/c I think Alford is scum.

Whatever happens this year, I don't want a blue blood to win. No UCLA, Duke, UK, KU, UNC or Louisville. And definitely no repeat from Villanova.

I need the field to come through this year. If that means Gonzaga, so be it. If it's Cincinnati, I'll pretend to be happy for @kobe. If it's Arizona, good enough.
I'm with you on Alford and no blue blood win. Would really like to see Gonzaga do it, Kansas never really bothers me but I love the fact we have more National Championships than them.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm with you on Alford and no blue blood win. Would really like to see Gonzaga do it, Kansas never really bothers me but I love the fact we have more National Championships than them.
It needs to stay that way.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Cincy would be their 3rd title and have been way more consistent than us Lately. Don't need that.
Meh, they deserve their moment. I respect them as a rival unlike, say, Syracuse. If we don't make the tourney this year I'll probably be rooting for them.

Plus it would be funny to me if our new rival had as many titles as the entire New Big East combined.

Agree on that Kansas part. They never really get to me b/c I can always do "4>3" and that shuts them up.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
All I know is that if we get in the tourney, I would welcome
St. Marys in our bracket.

Reaction Score

By enough, do you mean any? UCLA is a joke defensively. Which is shame because offensively they are far and away the best team in the country and maybe the best offensive team in the last decade.

Reaction Score
Until the Zags finally get to a Fina Four let alone win the NC, I won't believe they can do it. They're Pitt-level choke artists whenever they're a high seed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom