• Yes

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 63 71.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Majok and Oriakhi can get drafted, I think someone might take a chance on Hamilton, probably in the 50-60 range. No idea who.

He needs to get picked to save face, especially after giving lame answers to the question of why he left immediately without even giving himself a chance to test the waters.

As KO's first high-profile recruit, this also can have an impact on the program vis-a-vis recruiting going forward.

Reaction Score
If Majok and Oriakhi can get drafted, I think someone might take a chance on Hamilton, probably in the 50-60 range. No idea who.

He needs to get picked to save face, especially after giving lame answers to the question of why he left immediately without even giving himself a chance to test the waters.

As KO's first high-profile recruit, this also can have an impact on the program vis-a-vis recruiting going forward.
I think this is a bit of a stretch. If a kid wants to leave and makes a huge mistake, don't see how that's a reflection of the coach. If the kid leaves and he's a bust, also don't think that hurts the program. Did Hasheem becoming a bust hurt the program? Don't really think any recruit is going to be waiting to see if DHam gets drafted to decide whether or not he's coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
Definitely , later in the draft. I actually think he'll get drafted super late but struggle to make the roster. A la Daniels but worst

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
mid 2nd - probably by the Celtics since they have a million picks in the draft.

Reaction Score
I think this is a bit of a stretch. If a kid wants to leave and makes a huge mistake, don't see how that's a reflection of the coach. If the kid leaves and he's a bust, also don't think that hurts the program. Did Hasheem becoming a bust hurt the program? Don't really think any recruit is going to be waiting to see if DHam gets drafted to decide whether or not he's coming to UConn.

I think what helps recruiting is:

1) The coach's reputation for helping kids get drafted
2) Our alumni having success in the NBA

The Thabeet example doesn't really apply as far as #1, since what mattered was that JC got him drafted 2nd. As far as recruits are concerned, what he did after that was his problem. The fact that he didn't pan out just means that we don't get the brand recognition that comes with #2.

Maybe a better way to think of it is: Hamilton will likely have been a missed opportunity for KO to get credit for turning a top recruit into a high draft pick. It's not KO's fault that he left, but if Hamilton had stayed, improved, and gotten himself drafted in the 1st round as a lot of us think was plausible, that would have improved KO's reputation among recruits, vis-a-vis #1. You're probably right that, now that he's left, it doesn't much matter what happens.

Reaction Score
I posted this thought on the hockey board but is it the definition of the" world turned upside down" if Hamilton doesn't get drafted but a UConn hockey player gets taken in the first round? Talk about through the looking glass.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I think if I was him I would prefer undrafted as opposed to second rounder. He'll get a summer league gig either way and maybe get to Europe and not be owned by anyone. I think his future is in China/Europe making great money to play ball and the sooner the better. With that said I think the coaches reputation and the programs pedigree say "take a late flyer" to somebody. I want him to succeed because I enjoyed watching him and I want all the program players to succeed. I save my hate for Syracuse.

The real poll: How many guys after #1 will say have a chip on their shoulder and they can't wait to prove the other teams wrong that passed them by. My over/under is 25. My over/under for those who aren't BS'ing and with the actual drive to do something about it is 4.

Reaction Score
Maybe late 2nd, but he obviously made a big mistake coming out; at least in terms of an NBA career. He has glaring weaknesses that are typically only mitigating by having great athleticism which he does not.

Reaction Score
I think what helps recruiting is:

1) The coach's reputation for helping kids get drafted
2) Our alumni having success in the NBA

The Thabeet example doesn't really apply as far as #1, since what mattered was that JC got him drafted 2nd. As far as recruits are concerned, what he did after that was his problem. The fact that he didn't pan out just means that we don't get the brand recognition that comes with #2.

Maybe a better way to think of it is: Hamilton will likely have been a missed opportunity for KO to get credit for turning a top recruit into a high draft pick. It's not KO's fault that he left, but if Hamilton had stayed, improved, and gotten himself drafted in the 1st round as a lot of us think was plausible, that would have improved KO's reputation among recruits, vis-a-vis #1. You're probably right that, now that he's left, it doesn't much matter what happens.
Just my opinion that you're putting way too much emphasis on the poor decision of one immature player on how it might impact future recruiting. I really see NO connection at all. Anyone with eyes knows that Hamilton was a fool to leave when he he did. How is that a poor reflection on Ollie or the program in the eyes of a future recruit? Fail to see the connection.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion that you're putting way too much emphasis on the poor decision of one immature player on how it might impact future recruiting. I really see NO connection at all. Anyone with eyes knows that Hamilton was a fool to leave when he he did. How is that a poor reflection on Ollie or the program in the eyes of a future recruit? Fail to see the connection.

I said in my second post that it doesn't reflect on KO, but it is a missed opportunity.

Hamilton, with a better head on his shoulders, could have been KO's first signature success story, could have enhanced our waning NBA presence.

I'm not saying Hamilton will be a negative for this program's reputation among recruits.
I'm saying that when Hamilton came in, he had the potential to be a great positive, but as it is, he'll be basically a non-entity.

Reaction Score
Pretty weak draft overall so I think he has a decent chance to get drafted near the end of the 2nd round. Which if it happen is a bad thing.

Reaction Score
I said in my second post that it doesn't reflect on KO, but it is a missed opportunity.

Hamilton, with a better head on his shoulders, could have been KO's first signature success story, could have enhanced our waning NBA presence.

I'm not saying Hamilton will be a negative for this program's reputation among recruits.
I'm saying that when Hamilton came in, he had the potential to be a great positive, but as it is, he'll be basically a non-entity.
Your initial posts suggest that somehow Hamilton not getting drafted will have a negative impact on future recruiting. I don't see that at all. Now you seem to be backtracking. I honestly see this as nothing more as a young person making a very poor decision. And let's not forget, Ollie came out in public and said he disagreed. I really think this is a complete non-issue. I don't think Daniels has affected our recruiting negatively, do you?

Reaction Score
I'm guessing given the number of international players drafted Hamilton is highly unlikely to be drafted. Which is probably better for him anyway.

Reaction Score
Hate to be jerk. But with stone not even mentioned as best available I think dham will be calling boats agent

Reaction Score
Has the feeling of the next Deandre Daniels. Left too soon for sure.

Reaction Score
Look at some of the guys chosen late or not chosen yet. Cheik Diallo. He hardly played at Kansas. If he goes to a "lesser" school or at least a school with more playing time he might have proved he is a lottery pick. If you are Cheick Diallo, Stone or Ulis, why don't you stay another year and prove you can play so you don't end up in the D league.

Reaction Score
Has the feeling of the next Deandre Daniels. Left too soon for sure.
DD was not as big a mistake as DH
He just got hurt at the wrong time
He did well in Australia
Should he have stayed, probsbly but like Hamilton and Boatright,he had contraints another year wasn't going to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom