Will Charli Collier be a Class of One? | The Boneyard

Will Charli Collier be a Class of One?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As the academic year winds down for college and high school, there is something missing here on the BY, and that is an intense discussion of next year’s recruits. Charli Collier is a verbal commit and she should be a really good player at UConn. As for the other potential recruits in the class of 2018, it’s gotten very quiet. Indications are that UConn has made offers to ONO & Christyn Williams, but there certainly hasn’t been as much buzz about either player’s interest in UConn as there was last year throughout the Megan Walker sweepstakes. While there are a couple of other players that list UConn among the teams they are considering (NaLyssa Smith & Honesty Scott-Grayson), there has been little activity with either as far as I am aware. So what gives?

First of all, UConn has a really deep team that will add 4 talented recruits for 2017-18. The following year, if everyone who is eligible to return for 2018-19 does so, along with C. Collier, the Huskies will have 12 players suited up (7 G/W & 5 F/C). I honestly believe that while Geno, and the BY, would love to have ONO & Williams in Husky blue, neither recruit is critical to UConn. Williams in particular could be looking at a logjam at the wing/guard positions with up to seven returning players on the roster for 2018-19 and only one (Lou) graduating at the end of that season. For ONO, the frontcourt is a little less crowded in 2018-19 with 4 returning players (assuming Z & Pheesa do not opt out for the WNBA), with two graduating at the end of that season. Both ONO and Williams can probably pick a number of top schools where they can play immediately, while they will have to earn their minutes at UConn, like every other freshman. The obvious question is, “How much do they want the UConn experience and are they confident enough in their own ability to compete for playing time?”

If Lexi Gordon’s mom can’t work her magic, and UConn misses on both ONO & Williams, I sense that Geno and his staff are not necessarily looking for “Plan B” recruits for 2018. I think their subsequent focus will be the Class of 2018-19 with top recruits like Sam Brunelle & Aliyah Boston, when they will have an absolute need to add frontcourt talent and depth.

While I sincerely hope that I’m wrong about this, I can easily foresee a situation where Charli Collier is a recruiting class of ONE for 2018-19. I guess you can’t get’em all........and you probably can’t win 111 games in a row.....or 4 straight national championships either….. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As the academic year winds down for college and high school, there is something missing here on the BY, and that is an intense discussion of next year’s recruits. Charli Collier is a verbal commit and she should be a really good player at UConn. As for the other potential recruits in the class of 2018, it’s gotten very quiet. Indications are that UConn has made offers to ONO & Christyn Williams, but there certainly hasn’t been as much buzz about either player’s interest in UConn as there was last year throughout the Megan Walker sweepstakes. While there are a couple of other players that list UConn among the teams they are considering (NaLyssa Smith & Honesty Scott-Grayson), there has been little activity with either as far as I am aware. So what gives?

First of all, UConn has a really deep team that will add 4 talented recruits for 2017-18. The following year, if everyone who is eligible to return for 2018-19 does so, along with C. Collier, the Huskies will have 12 players suited up (7 G/W & 5 F/C). I honestly believe that while Geno, and the BY, would love to have ONO & Williams in Husky blue, neither recruit is critical to UConn. Williams in particular could be looking at a logjam at the wing/guard positions with up to seven returning players on the roster for 2018-19 and only one (Lou) graduating at the end of that season. For ONO, the frontcourt is a little less crowded in 2018-19 with 4 returning players (assuming Z & Pheesa do not opt out for the WNBA), with two graduating at the end of that season. Both ONO and Williams can probably pick a number of top schools where they can play immediately, while they will have to earn their minutes at UConn, like every other freshman. The obvious question is, “How much do they want the UConn experience and are they confident enough in their own ability to compete for playing time?”

If Lexi Gordon’s mom can’t work her magic, and UConn misses on both ONO & Williams, I sense that Geno and his staff are not necessarily looking for “Plan B” recruits for 2018. I think their subsequent focus will be the Class of 2018-19 with top recruits like Sam Brunelle & Aliyah Boston, when they will have an absolute need to add frontcourt talent and depth.

While I sincerely hope that I’m wrong about this, I can easily foresee a situation where Charli Collier is a recruiting class of ONE for 2018-19. I guess you can’t get’em all...and you probably can’t win 111 games in a row.....or 4 straight national championships either….. :rolleyes:
Well we have recently learned that a class of one can cost us a championship so your scenario is threatening to say the least.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well we have recently learned that a class of one can cost us a championship so your scenario is threatening to say the least.
Agree with your point, but I am hoping that this is a slightly different scenario.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oldude - I think if this threatens to be a 'class of one' the coaches may well discover someone during the summer they really like enough to offer. At this point my feeling is that both ONO who is still rehabbing and Williams are both in a fairly slow down recruiting mode. And I suspect that the staff feels pretty good about both. The other two you mention are not on the Uconn radar any more I am pretty sure.

The other thing that has changed is the thing that we have a long and growing thread on - transfers, and especially transfers of highly rated players. If Collier ends up as a 'class of one' I suspect the interest in transfers from the Uconn side in the following two seasons of players from the 2017 and 2018 classes will be a lot warmer than the interest has been this season. And Kelly Faris class of one did OK and while Chong class of one ended her career on a loss, it was only her second loss in her career - a pretty good record!

And while looking at projected roster size in future years is what we do ... it also has been clearly a pattern of the last decade that their can be some attrition from the Uconn roster - on average one per year. I don't really count Natalie in that as she is a graduate, but we were talking about finding minutes for 14 players a few weeks ago, and it is now 13 for next year.

On Edit - the slow down mode from the recruits is the reason there isn't a frenzy of speculation on the board - as soon as one of them makes an official or unofficial visit anywhere, there will be a new thread and lots of parsing of twitter and anything else related to said visit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude - I think if this threatens to be a 'class of one' the coaches may well discover someone during the summer they really like enough to offer. At this point my feeling is that both ONO who is still rehabbing and Williams are both in a fairly slow down recruiting mode. And I suspect that the staff feels pretty good about both. The other two you mention are not on the UConn radar any more I am pretty sure.

The other thing that has changed is the thing that we have a long and growing thread on - transfers, and especially transfers of highly rated players. If Collier ends up as a 'class of one' I suspect the interest in transfers from the UConn side in the following two seasons of players from the 2017 and 2018 classes will be a lot warmer than the interest has been this season. And Kelly Faris class of one did OK and while Chong class of one ended her career on a loss, it was only her second loss in her career - a pretty good record!

And while looking at projected roster size in future years is what we do ... it also has been clearly a pattern of the last decade that their can be some attrition from the UConn roster - on average one per year. I don't really count Natalie in that as she is a graduate, but we were talking about finding minutes for 14 players a few weeks ago, and it is now 13 for next year.

On Edit - the slow down mode from the recruits is the reason there isn't a frenzy of speculation on the board - as soon as one of them makes an official or unofficial visit anywhere, there will be a new thread and lots of parsing of twitter and anything else related to said visit.
One of the biggest differences between this year and last is that Megan Walker appeared to be a lot more active on social media relative to her recruiting decision than either ONO or Williams.

Reaction Score
2018-19 lineup as of right now (I think). That's 11 or 12, depending on Azura. I can see 0-2 more.

Dangerfield, G, Jr
KLS, W, Sr
Walker, F, So
N Collier, F, Sr
Stevens, F, Sr
<-- if she stays

Camara, F, Jr
Coombs, G, So
Gordon, W, So
AEH, G, So

C Collier, F, Fr

Bent, G, Jr
Irwin, F, Jr

HGN

Reaction Score

While I sincerely hope that I’m wrong about this, I can easily foresee a situation where Charli Collier is a recruiting class of ONE for 2018-19. I guess you can’t get’em all...and you probably can’t win 111 games in a row.....or 4 straight national championships either….. :rolleyes:
Oldude , I hope that you are wrong too...........But I really don't see the problem. And I truly don't think the UConn coaching staff see a problem either. If they did they wouldn't recruit the particular kids you mentioned. We all know what a severe lack of numbers and depth can do to a Championship run. A tight rotation can be 8/9 players. But when you have such quality as this UConn team it can be 8/9 players. But he can play the entire bench many nights. Players just have to wait their turn to earn significant PT. Teams can only start 5 players. UConn probably has a legitimate 9 players that could start. And 13 that could probably start on a mid-major. But this is UConn.
And its a good problem to have.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I do not know if Charli will be in a recruiting class of one , but she is definitely in a class by herself .:)
anigif_enhanced-9754-1409344312-11.gif

Reaction Score
I sure would like to see #1 C. Williams and #3ONO in the class with #2C. Collier. That would be really be
something.

Reaction Score

The amount of depth is shocking. Ultimately, it probably works against HCGA in recruiting. If other kids in the class of 2018 are looking at this depth...and Charli Collier coming here...then they may elect to go somewhere where they will get more immediate minutes. HCGA has never shied away from playing his best players, regardless of year. With that being said, the amount of talent here is unreal and there are only so many minutes to go around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

First of all, UConn has a really deep team that will add 4 talented recruits for 2017-18. The following year, if everyone who is eligible to return for 2018-19 does so, along with C. Collier, the Huskies will have 12 players suited up (7 G/W & 5 F/C). I honestly believe that while Geno, and the BY, would love to have ONO & Williams in Husky blue, neither recruit is critical to UConn. Williams in particular could be looking at a logjam at the wing/guard positions with up to seven returning players on the roster for 2018-19 and only one (Lou) graduating at the end of that season. For ONO, the front court is a little less crowded in 2018-19 with 4 returning players (assuming Z & Pheesa do not opt out for the WNBA), with two graduating at the end of that season. Both ONO and Williams can probably pick a number of top schools where they can play immediately, while they will have to earn their minutes at UConn, like every other freshman. The obvious question is, “How much do they want the UConn experience and are they confident enough in their own ability to compete for playing time?”

If Lexi Gordon’s mom can’t work her magic, and UConn misses on both ONO & Williams, I sense that Geno and his staff are not necessarily looking for “Plan B” recruits for 2018. I think their subsequent focus will be the Class of 2018-19 with top recruits like Sam Brunelle & Aliyah Boston, when they will have an absolute need to add front court talent and depth.

Nice post OD. I can see your point, but I certainly hope that your "situational" forecast is incorrect. UConn is sitting pretty at the moment, but you know as well as I do, you cant get ahead and stay ahead by only recruiting 1 player classes. I personally like ONO.
If UConn can only sign one more 2018 recruit, I want it to be her.

As "tennparker3 " commented in another thread: "Olivia will likely be one of the last to commit from the top of the 2018 class as I believe she has stated her intent to take all her visits. Of course that could always change". She doesn't appear to be in a hurry to commit, make any announcements, or even give hints as to which way she's leaning. I understand her recently announced list of potential schools include: UConn, North Carolina, South Carolina, Stanford, Notre Dame, Georgia,UCLA, Maryland, Tennessee, Duke, Ohio State and Florida State,

Last year, the scrambling, paring down of schools by recruits really didn't heat up until mid to late summer, after official visits had been made. By the first of the year, most of the top recruits for the '18 class should have their announced their choice of schools, and signed their LOI.

ONO is not the end all, be all, however she is highly coveted by all of the top D-1 programs. If Geno can land her, barring injury to the best players (whoever they may be), I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect at least 2 (maybe 3) NC during her 4 years in Storrs. She'll be surrounded by some extraordinary talent.

No doubt the staff will not rest until either they successfully reach their goals for this class, or their targets have all committed else where. The rush for ONO has already heated up. Let's hope Lexie's mom (and other external influences) can successfully steer and nudge ONO towards committing to UConn. Remember, UConn is trending right now. They went through their dry spell of being unable to land any of their most coveted recruits. It is understood and recognized that UConn is not for everyone, but it is the place (a stepping stone) to be for those wanted to perfect their game, and prepare to compete at the next level. .

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice post OD. I personally like ONO.
If UConn can only sign one more 2018 recruit, I want it to be her.

As "tennparker3 " commented in another thread: "Olivia will likely be one of the last to commit from the top of the 2018 class as I believe she has stated her intent to take all her visits. Of course that could always change". She doesn't appear to be in a hurry to commit, make any announcements, or even give hints as to which way she's leaning. I understand her recently announced list of potential schools include: UConn, North Carolina, South Carolina, Stanford, Notre Dame, Georgia,UCLA, Maryland, Tennessee, Duke, Ohio State and Florida State.
I completely agree that if UConn gets only one more recruit, I would want it to be ONO. I guess we'll get some indication of her interest once she sets up "official" recruiting visits. While ONO currently lists 12 schools that she's interested in, the NCAA only allows 5 official visits paid for by the schools themselves. Of course she can always pay her own way, and UGA is an easy drive, but if a school is not one of the 5 "Official Visits" that would pretty much eliminate them from consideration.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I completely agree that if UConn gets only one more recruit, I would want it to be ONO. I guess we'll get some indication of her interest once she sets up "official" recruiting visits. While ONO currently lists 12 schools that she's interested in, the NCAA only allows 5 official visits paid for by the schools themselves. Of course she can always pay her own way, and UGA is an easy drive, but if a school is not one of the 5 "Official Visits" that would pretty much eliminate them from consideration.

If UConn is one of those 5 official visits, I like our chances. The coaching staff has it down to a science of hosting impressive
weekend visits for potential recruits. "First Night weekend" being the optimal weekend. If a recruit attends a visit to Storrs with an "open mind", UConn makes it hard to not give them serious consideration when deciding which program to select. The coaches and players really don't have to sell the program. The program sells itself. All they have to do is take them on a stroll through the Werth Family Sports Center where the history and tradition of the program is on display.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I expect more then a one class recruit. I would guess one or two more. One being a top guard and the other being a top post or top point guard. Just speculating on my part. There are some really good players out there who have UConn on their list and Geno finds room for top players who want to come to UConn. Hey with all the transfers from top teams UConn is once again in a class of their own. A NC or two or more are very likely in the future and it doesnt look like it will stop anytime soon. There will be other good teams but there is only One number 1 and thats UConn who will be far and above any other team in WCBB for the next 2 years for sure and most likely more.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There are times I wish that Geno & Co. would plant a flag in Europe. Chasing 2 or 3 16 and 17 year olds like that is all there is is just plain nutty to me. Perfectly obvious that the European junior model(s), men and women both, produces a more basketball savvy, more well rounded prospect.

Reaction Score
There are times I wish that Geno & Co. would plant a flag in Europe. Chasing 2 or 3 16 and 17 year olds like that is all there is is just plain nutty to me. Perfectly obvious that the European junior model(s), men and women both, produces a more basketball savvy, more well rounded prospect.

After Abrosamova, one of my 100 to 300 favorite Uconn WBB players, was a pleasure to watch and talented. I thought that Geno had finally found the path to great, well trained (except in defense) players. He, at least initially had issues with "language" with Sveta--and attitude--"I score, why do I need defense" (quostes are either for Geno or Sveta). Jose i Fla has done well but not great as had Duke importing players--and there is the NJ flack over African taking short cuts i.e. not dotting all the T's and crossing they eyes??

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Really. Well, I am happy with USA players. Plant the flag for me in CT, then rest of USA. This is College basketball, not pros.

Reaction Score
Maybe the Italian trip this summer will give them a chance to become a presence there.

But truthfully, I wonder (I honestly don't know; just an impression) whether European women are as likely as American women to stay all 4 years in college, rather than take the opportunity to play pro-ball in Europe. If that is true, then they are probably also less willing to sit on the bench when they first get to UConn, because they want to establish themselves immediately.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe the Italian trip this summer will give them a chance to become a presence there.

But truthfully, I wonder (I honestly don't know; just an impression) whether European women are as likely as American women to stay all 4 years in college, rather than take the opportunity to play pro-ball in Europe. If that is true, then they are probably also less willing to sit on the bench when they first get to UConn, because they want to establish themselves immediately.

Things to ponder bags, things to ponder. Jose F has had good luck on this score. There are others. For them it is a way to get good talent without having to go one on one with the perennial leaders in WBB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom