Will Benign Neglect Continue As Official Policy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Benign Neglect Continue As Official Policy?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn needs $4 million dollar for the coaching pool so they can get decent coordinators and other staff.

Reaction Score
No such thing as benign neglect, neglect is neglect, nothing benign about it.

Reaction Score
No such thing as benign neglect, neglect is neglect, nothing benign about it.
Ah, an English major. The phrase was coined by Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of NY when he was advising Nixon on inner cities and race. A rationale for doing nothing. You are correct, there is nothing about neglect that is benign if done deliberately. In the Nixon era it was particularly harmful. The parallels are too strong to ignore so I used the phrase. A reference below:

I think the lesson learned in the case of UConn football is that an institution is either in or out of FBS level football. There is no being half way in which is what has been happening for the last five years. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

Reaction Score
woman sobbing in the hallway, woman next to her whispers "at least we have Geno and the girls". Cracks me up every time and sums up things perfectly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Maybe more importantly, Schiano was smart enough to hold out for a big pool for his assistants.

It doesn't matter what you pay the head guy. If you don't give him enough to hire & KEEP quality assistants it's not going to change

This. It's not just the $1.5-$2 million for the coach. You need over $2M for the assistant pool. Even at the G5 level you are paying $500k minimum for good OC and DC. Next leve is around $200K for you next 3-4 best assistant and then $150k-$200 average for the rest of the coaches and staff.

Reaction Score
If they kill FBS, they lose my $$ which isn’t a lot in the scheme of things, but if there are a few thousand that think similarly then it will hurt. It will ultimately pull down the the U to a cute little basketball school with a narrowed pool of second tier New England applicants. It will become a regional school which seems to be about the total aspiration of a small minded BoT.

Exactly. I never spent a dime on UCONN football when they were 1-AA - and wouldn't if they were FBS (unless maybe they got to a playoff game). Wouldn't get mad - just doesn't justify my attention. Ultimately a drop down to FBS probably costs them more than it saves them.

Reaction Score
This. It's not just the $1.5-$2 million for the coach. You need over $2M for the assistant pool. Even at the G5 level you are paying $500k minimum for good OC and DC. Next leve is around $200K for you next 3-4 best assistant and then $150k-$200 average for the rest of the coaches and staff.

Right - so we need to spend $4M a year? Just go out and raise the money. It's both a lot of money and not a lot of money in the scheme of things. If we have a competent foundation that is achieveable.

(funny - our stadium holds 40,000 - and we used to fill it - so 40,000 * 100 = $4M - don't tell me that we can't find the money)

Reaction Score
Right - so we need to spend $4M a year? Just go out and raise the money. It's both a lot of money and not a lot of money in the scheme of things. If we have a competent foundation that is achieveable.

(funny - our stadium holds 40,000 - and we used to fill it - so 40,000 * 100 = $4M - don't tell me that we can't find the money)
To do it right, you would probably need $5M for HC and staff. You forgot to include increased TV revenue for an enhanced product. That would easily cover it.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on where you are getting the coach from. If he is a lower level head coach, you don't just pay him $2 million because you can. Lance Leipold earned ~$624k his last year at Buffalo and the assistant pool was ~$1 mill. The new Buffalo coach is making $675k and his assistant pool is $920k. Billy Napier was being paid $1 million at Lousiana before he got his raise, but his assistant pool was $2.9 million. Jamey Chadwell was making $320k at Coastal Carolina.

Reaction Score
To do it right, you would probably need $5M for HC and staff. You forgot to include increased TV revenue for an enhanced product. That would easily cover it.

That's fair - but it isn't an insurmountable challenge. Just have to decide it is worth it.

Honestly - I think if you went back to everyone that ever bought tickets here and said - we need to be more competitive so ante up - you would get some takers.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on where you are getting the coach from. If he is a lower level head coach, you don't just pay him $2 million because you can. Lance Leipold earned ~$624k his last year at Buffalo and the assistant pool was ~$1 mill. The new Buffalo coach is making $675k and his assistant pool is $920k. Billy Napier was being paid $1 million at Lousiana before he got his raise, but his assistant pool was $2.9 million. Jamey Chadwell was making $320k at Coastal Carolina.

Chadwell is now making $850k with bonuses that can take him to close to $1.5M after interviewing for the South Carolina job last year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Randy was also working on the cheap as were his assistants. If you want to attract someone to this career killing job, you'll have to overpay everyone.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The present lack of leadership at UConn is glaring and conspicuous, like a decubitus ulcer. And it's everywhere. Most obvious, the presidency is in limbo. Given all the competing interests looking for public funding, what we dearly lack are private boosters with the clout and influence to move the needle with the BOT---and without a full throttled commitment to be excellent at football, why should anyone be writing big checks to support mediocrity. We have many wealthy individuals with a connection and affection for this University but no one can show them a plan to achieve even a modicum of football respectability. Where's the plan? Where's the commitment? Build it, develop it, share it with the "investors" like an IPO roadshow. If you do they just might come on board. If you don't, they never will.
This! We have proof that big time college football is possible in CT. Think of how many people traveled to the ND game. We need someone to develop a clear and compelling plan to FBS success and sell it to the community. I myself and willing to significantly increase my donation to UCONN football if I believe it will actually help the program.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Exactly. I never spent a dime on UCONN football when they were 1-AA - and wouldn't if they were FBS (unless maybe they got to a playoff game). Wouldn't get mad - just doesn't justify my attention. Ultimately a drop down to FBS probably costs them more than it saves them.
I understand each word in this post but I have no idea what you mean.

Reaction Score
I think the translation is that the lost revenue (TV, game contracts, attendance) and donations would be greater than the savings from spending less on an FCS program. As a result, the move would actually result in losses going up, rather than down from downgrading the program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This! We have proof that big time college football is possible in CT. Think of how many people traveled to the ND game. We need someone to develop a clear and compelling plan to FBS success and sell it to the community. I myself and willing to significantly increase my donation to UCONN football if I believe it will actually help the program.

FB in a power conference. To date there are only a handful of et al's that have had regular success and those have a fertile recruiting base in which to work.

We aren't even asking for big time right now, we want competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom