Wildcat why we suck | The Boneyard

Wildcat why we suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We run the wildcat because McCummings is a threat when he carries the ball. Tonight in the wildcat we had 2 backs on each side of the QB and Griffin in the back field with one wideout but he wasn't outside the hashmarks on the wide side. So we had everyone in tight essentially. This allows the D to key on McCummings or any run.
If we want to get anything out of this use of McCummings we need to go to a read option offense (only one back) with at least 3 out WIDE so that it opens up running lanes for the QB and running back. The wildcat that we run is doomed to failure because the D is packed in so tight. We also have to give McCummings the chance to throw more often than once a game if we go to this formation. This opens up the run.
If I was running the offense we would be putting Whitmer in shotgun more often and when we get to the 20 or 25 yard line we would throw the ball in the endzone. Last play for us we still aren't throwing for the endzone when Davis has shown he can go get the ball. Smith and Phillips as well. We need to pass to set up the run- we are a passing team. Deleone must be fired.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The wildcat is only the tip of the iceberg (in terms of why we suck).

Reaction Score
We are good enough to win this game. Talent is not the problem. We have given up returning kicks and punts. Brown made adjustments after the TD. On the road our D was good enough. Look what S Florida did against L-Ville. On the road we hold them to 13 and lose and PP is smiling in the postgame handshake. Not happy.

Reaction Score
McCummings pass was right on the money. He seems like a great kid. With a different coach he would probably be doing very well for himself.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We run the wildcat because McCummings is a threat when he carries the ball. Tonight in the wildcat we had 2 backs on each side of the QB and Griffin in the back field with one wideout but he wasn't outside the hashmarks on the wide side. So we had everyone in tight essentially. This allows the D to key on McCummings or any run.
If we want to get anything out of this use of McCummings we need to go to a read option offense (only one back) with at least 3 out WIDE so that it opens up running lanes for the QB and running back. The wildcat that we run is doomed to failure because the D is packed in so tight. We also have to give McCummings the chance to throw more often than once a game if we go to this formation. This opens up the run.
If I was running the offense we would be putting Whitmer in shotgun more often and when we get to the 20 or 25 yard line we would throw the ball in the endzone. Last play for us we still aren't throwing for the endzone when Davis has shown he can go get the ball. Smith and Phillips as well. We need to pass to set up the run- we are a passing team. Deleone must be fired.
Mccummings had 5 carries for 33yds (6.6 per carry) and had a sure TD dropped. Not sure how you can see fault in wildcat tonight

Reaction Score
I agree with your point that the Wildcat was the least of our issues last night. But isn't that like saying the freezing water was the least of the issues for the passengers on the Titanic? Sure we could talk about the poorly trained crew, the icebergs, the shortage of life boats - but the water was still f*(&king cold.

And I don't think we can credit this formation for a touchdown if only the pass had been completed and the penalty was not called.

The biggest problem with the wildcat (aside from the fact that the runs out of it are too routinely not productive and the calling of it inevitably impacts the rhythm of that guy who is lining up under center for the other two plays getting his face smashed in) is that we never seem to call passing plays out of it, which is a good thing because when we do it always seems to almost hit big if not for a poorly thrown ball, a penalty, a dropped pass, etc. Thankfully I think GDL is smart enough to know this so he does not often call passing plays out of it. And the opposing coaches are smart enough to know this so they don't spend any time preparing their teams to defend it.

This is why the wildcat needs to be taken behind the woodshed.

Reaction Score
Mccummings had 5 carries for 33yds (6.6 per carry) and had a sure TD dropped. Not sure how you can see fault in wildcat tonight
take away the one run for 25 yds and he ends up with 4 carries/8 yds..not even enuff to get a friggin 1st down

Reaction Score
take away the one run for 25 yds and he ends up with 4 carries/8 yds..not even enuff to get a friggin 1st down
We now celebrate a big play (the 25 yarder) like the birth of a newborn, or a graduation, or a wedding. Just a joyous occasion

Reaction Score
We now celebrate a big play (the 25 yarder) like the birth of a newborn, or a graduation, or a wedding. Just a joyous occasion
i hear u. it's so frustrating.....i watch a lot of college fb and see so many OL on many teams fire off the ball, get to LB & DB's & knock them on their ass...ours are piled on top of one another in the backfield as if they were starting a human bonfire...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hey, we actually scored points in the second half of a BE game last night! We need to identify our victories where they occur.

Baby steps, after all this was a train wreck that the new staff walked into.

Reaction Score

Early leader in the clubhouse for post of the week. Welcome to the PP Era - Catch the Fever.

Reaction Score
GDL's premise for the wildcat, as I understand it, is that it takes an opposing defense time to prepare for it and, therefore, takes time away from preparing for out base offense. Now, this makes no sense to me, because it also means that we spend time practicing it and it, therefore, takes practice time away from our base offense.

It has been my very strong sense since day one with these guys that GDL sees himself as an NFL technician. He's smarter and more experienced and he can out X and O his opponent. I don't think he plays much attention to the fundementals and motivational part of football. I think that is a complete miss in college football.

Cruz was brutal last night. Would he have been better prepared had he continued to be coached by Edsall and Foley? I think so. It has been a long time since I remember UCONN putting an OL on the field that was not physically and mentally ready to bang. And that was a weak defensive front at USF, wait for the next three games. UuuuFaaaaaaaaaa!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game,who dropped it?

McCombs but it didn't matter they committed a personal foul on the play anyway and would have come back.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Hey we actually threw out of the wildcat last night. It's about friggin' time! It didn't matter that McCombs dropped it as there was a hands to the face penalty that would have called it back. The bright side of that play though was that McCummings throw was spot on and not an easy pass to make since the defender was right there with McCombs. Wish they would let them throw more out of the Wildcat if they feel they need to run that play.

Bottom line is that our O-Line is probably the worst in FBS. I can't think of a single game I've watched this season where I've seen another team's line look as horrible as ours have. I spend many Saturday's flipping between games and watch some of the games during the week. I can't recall a single game that I've seen where the O-Line looks as porous and atrocious as ours does. I think Whitmer will be great and I give that kid tons of credit. He has to go out there every game knowing he is going to get absolutely CRUSHED yet he hasn't gotten happy feet and stands in the pocket and makes the throws.

Reaction Score
My point is we can get more out of McCummings in the read option. His throw was as on the money as you can get. We need to spread the field and be a threat to throw more for Scott and whoever is at RB to get out in the open. I think twice last night we ran inside handoff out of shotgun with Whitmer carrying out a run fake. If we are going to do this McCummings should be the QB as he is a run threat. Edsall used to have Frazer do this run fake when he never kept the ball. The QB has to keep it occasionally for this to work. Ditch the wildcat and run the read option with an uptempo no huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom