Wii Internet and ESPN3 | The Boneyard

Wii Internet and ESPN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So I realized that we have an extremely underutilitzed Wii Console in the house that theoretically connects to the internets.

I'm opening up for suggestions on watching the game on ESPN3 via the Wii or watching it on TV via the laptop.

Reaction Score
i have a wii and i didn't realize you could watch ESPN3 on it. i always hook my lap top to the TV, but this would be a lot more convenient. has anyone here ever done this, and how did it work?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought you could only watch ESPN3 through an X-Box?

I don't know. Maybe it is.

I've gotten to the ESPN3 homepage and it says I don't have the most updated Adobe Flash Player. When I went to download the newer version on to the Wii, I got an error message saying binary not recognized (pretty scary because I thought all computers would recognize binary by now).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I could be wrong. I'm far from a techy.

Same here. I don't have any issue hooking up my laptop to the TV. Quality is pretty good.

Wii won't download the Adobe Flash required to view ESPN3. It did get me in to this thread though.

I just wasn't sure if you could do it through the Wii. I hadn't ever used the internet access part of the Wii. Not impressed.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Wii has limited capacity for streaming internet. I don't think that you'll be happy with the results. On the other hand, I've used a laptop frequently. It works great especially if you use HDMI cable. Caveat - on some PCs you may have to make a separate audio connection or use separate powered speakers (like an old set of PC speakers).

LINK - to step by step explanation

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Wii has limited capacity for streaming internet. I don't think that you'll be happy with the results. On the other hand, I've used a laptop frequently. It works great especially if you use HDMI cable. Caveat - on some PCs you may have to make a separate audio connection or use separate powered speakers (like an old set of PC speakers).

That happened to me with the HDMI cable. The audio was still coming out of the computer. So I hooked up my portable iPod speaker to the computers output jack and it forced the audio through the TV. Worked great after that.

And all of this is why I wanted to try all this out tonight. I didn't want to be getting back from work tomorrow and working out the kinks.

Last thing I need is a wireless keyboard so I can use the wireless mouse and laptop to swap screens and join the chat here.

I'm ready.

Cold beer- check.
Wings to be ordered tomorrow- check.
Buffalo nachos- check.
Electronic media- check.
Uconn rolls the minutemen- check.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just read this today. it might be why you are having trouble connecting.

it seems espn is changing espn3

http://deadspin.com/5938857/espn-prepping-its-talent-for-a-twitter-****storm-after-deciding-to-no-longer-air-must watch-games-on-espn3

Saw that today when I tried to get on ESPN3. Seems odd that I pay Cox cable for my cable and internet and ESPN only allows me to watch ESPN/ESPN2 on TV now. Seems like they are intentionally spiting 33m customers (myself included) to pigeon hole viewer options.

Reaction Score

LINK - to step by step explanation

If your not getting audio via HDMI do a google search for HDMI Audio followed by the computer type you have. You may be looking for specific drivers or just an update.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Saw that today when I tried to get on ESPN3. Seems odd that I pay Cox cable for my cable and internet and ESPN only allows me to watch ESPN/ESPN2 on TV now. Seems like they are intentionally spiting 33m customers (myself included) to pigeon hole viewer options.

They're turning the screws to the providers to sign up for watchespn. Theyre doing it too early, IMHO, and are going to tick off a ton of people.

Reaction Score
All I know is my ESPN 3 is working right now, I'm watching some ladies tennis. Hope I pick up the game tomorrow and see a UConn passing attack for the first time in 2+ years.

On no my 200th post and I have the 4 letter network in it. I am supersticious so NBC, NBC, NBC ....... phew.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If your not getting audio via HDMI do a google search for HDMI Audio followed by the computer type you have. You may be looking for specific drivers or just an update.

Thanks. I found an answer that worked for me.

Here it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger