OT - Wichita State | The Boneyard

OT - Wichita State

Reaction Score
They just went on the road and shot 53% against the #2 defense in the country. Love him or hate him, Marshall is a hell of a coach. I caught most of the second half and the offense they were running was about as gorgeous as can be - free-flowing screening and cutting within every possession, guards effectively changing pace with their dribble, big's knowing how to seal off on a post entry and beat the help with a quick pass...it was just a thing to watch.

I don't know if Marshall knows more basketball than KO, but he's definitely in a completely different realm when it comes to identifying and teaching those players. It looks like they're playing a different sport than us and it isn't because they recruit better.

Reaction Score
They just went on the road and shot 53% against the #2 defense in the country. Love him or hate him, Marshall is a hell of a coach. I caught most of the second half and the offense they were running was about as gorgeous as can be - free-flowing screening and cutting within every possession, guards effectively changing pace with their dribble, big's knowing how to seal off on a post entry and beat the help with a quick pass...it was just a thing to watch.

I don't know if Marshall knows more basketball than KO, but he's definitely in a completely different realm when it comes to identifying and teaching those players. It looks like they're playing a different sport than us and it isn't because they recruit better.

He's a better coach no doubt but he also IS recruiting better. They have 5 guys on the court a lot who can handle it a little, pass it and are stronger physically than we ever have. That's better recruiting because we are luck if we have 2 guys on the court who can pass it and 3 who can handle it well enough. And sorry, he recruits higher BBAll IQ too, all part of it. But he's a very good teacher I have no doubt there.

Reaction Score
He's a better coach no doubt but he also IS recruiting better. They have 5 guys on the court a lot who can handle it a little, pass it and are stronger physically than we ever have. That's better recruiting because we are luck if we have 2 guys on the court who can pass it and 3 who can handle it well enough. And sorry, he recruits higher BBAll IQ too, all part of it. But he's a very good teacher I have no doubt there.

Recruiting better or evaluating players better?

Reaction Score
... did you notice that his roster (the players who play) have more CBB experience than UConn's.

Marshall runs a complete Program. One that relies on kids developing (after recruiting kids that aren't top 40) and maturing through a full spectrum of coaching. They don't lack in the toughness department either as they took it to Mick Cronin and that junkyard mentality. We should be glad to have them in the same conference.

Reaction Score
How long has he been running a program?

Reaction Score
I thought the ceiling was S16 for WSU. Then GONE. They now look like the threat national media thought they were for the FF. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reaction Score
I typed a post about this earlier today and just erased it. Our team isn’t that bad. We need a couple of really good shooters, but we should be better.

My son’s high school team has a “roll the ball out and let them play” coach. They are pretty good but they have some very good players and their backups are very good football players with some skills. They can’t beat two teams in their district that are better coached. The best team in the district is so much less talented than the second and third place teams but their offensive execution is gorgeous. They are taught the details. They don’t just screen, they screen perfectly and with purpose. Kids don’t appreciate that stuff so coaches have to teach it and then insist on it.

I think KO is really rolling the ball out and letting them go with very little detail work. The lack of improvement is a dead giveaway. Greg Marshall is making pretty good players look great. KO is making them look bad. These kids aren’t great, but they aren’t bad at all. Easily a 20+ win group with Marshall coaching them. I believe KO can be a successful head coach but he needs a right hand man that knows the basics inside and out. He needs to let that guy show him the ropes and use his charisma and name to recruit and motivate. It’s a shame it hasn’t been done that way.

Reaction Score
I thought the ceiling was S16 for WSU. Then GONE. They now look like the threat national media thought they were for the FF. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
There are a lot of teams I have not seen play, but Villanova, Michigan State, and Wichita State all look like very serious contenders for at least the elite 8. One dynamic they all have in common is offensive execution. That ball is moving, those players are in motion. The defense against them is constantly in motion reacting and adjusting to what they are doing and does not get a chance to rest and regroup.

The offensive sets they are running are well constructed; the x's and o's coaching is superb, and the players are all on the same page with the execution at a very high level. These teams are legit.

The Huskies are young and improving, but when comparing Uconn's offensive execution to these three teams the differences are startling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I typed a post about this earlier today and just erased it. Our team isn’t that bad. We need a couple of really good shooters, but we should be better.

My son’s high school team has a “roll the ball out and let them play” coach. They are pretty good but they have some very good players and their backups are very good football players with some skills. They can’t beat two teams in their district that are better coached. The best team in the district is so much less talented than the second and third place teams but their offensive execution is gorgeous. They are taught the details. They don’t just screen, they screen perfectly and with purpose. Kids don’t appreciate that stuff so coaches have to teach it and then insist on it.

I think KO is really rolling the ball out and letting them go with very little detail work. The lack of improvement is a dead giveaway. Greg Marshall is making pretty good players look great. KO is making them look bad. These kids aren’t great, but they aren’t bad at all. Easily a 20+ win group with Marshall coaching them. I believe KO can be a successful head coach but he needs a right hand man that knows the basics inside and out. He needs to let that guy show him the ropes and use his charisma and name to recruit and motivate. It’s a shame it hasn’t been done that way.
We are supposed to believe that KO after 15 years of NBA practices and coaching and 4 years of Calhoun practice and coaching doesn’t know how to run a practice and instruct college players? The answer is that his players are not good enough.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
We are supposed to believe that KO after 15 years of NBA practices and coaching and 4 years of Calhoun practice and coaching doesn’t know how to run a practice and instruct college players? The answer is that his players are not good enough.
The talent level is far lower than we're accustomed to, but a good coach would get way more mileage out of these players. Period.

A good coach would also have better talent to work with at a program like UConn, because recruiting is part of a coach's job in college sports.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There's plenty of former players, with all kinds of basketball knowledge, who aren't great coaches. Case in point, Isaiah Thomas.

Reaction Score

Coach K, Calhoun nor Gregg Marshall wins 20 with this team, think you're way off here but that's just me. Remember not even our best players really get it completely - maybe 16-17 but that's there limit. They aren't very good but could be better eventually. Not sure he can make that happen so in that sense I would agree.

Reaction Score
... did you notice that his roster (the players who play) have more CBB experience than UConn's.

Marshall runs a complete Program. One that relies on kids developing (after recruiting kids that aren't top 40) and maturing through a full spectrum of coaching. They don't lack in the toughness department either as they took it to Mick Cronin and that junkyard mentality. We should be glad to have them in the same conference.

I was at that game yesterday, and it was the first time i had seen a Wichita team in person. Big dudes. I knew they were very good, but didn't realize how physically imposing they would be. They have 3 or 4 guys who are very difficult to handle physically. When they shoot the 3 ball as well as yesterday, they can beat anyone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not even close.

He was a head coach for almost a decade at Winthrop. Dude has about 20 years HC experience and 30 years total experience

Good point. Me being lazy. But to turn it around, then it would make sense that the guy who came here had those 20 years exp points before doing so.

Reaction Score
Our talent is adequate to win 20 games. In Adams we have a player that should be ridiculously good at this point but he hasn’t developed that much. We have some unique players. Cobb has a rare skill with the ball for his size. Polley, Whaley, Williams and Diarra should all be coached up enough to contribute, they already contribute some when given the chance. Carlton plays well in spurts and ends up on the bench. We are terrible because we play the wrong guys at the wrong time. We start the wrong people, we take bad shots and we don’t improve as a team or individually. Our defense is terrible, yet defense is all about effort and knowing where to be. It is teachable.

There just doesn’t seem to be a business plan. It’s more of a free for all with little rhyme or reason to what we see on the floor. Any team with Jalen Adams, a shooter like Larrier and a glue guy like Vitale should find a way to be respectable in this league. We don’t have Larrier spotting up for open looks, we haven’t taught Jalen to attack the rim with authority or kick it out and we haven’t taught Vitale what is a good shot and what’s a bad one. You teach those three guys those things and put them out there with our big man by committee along with Polley Whaley, Diarra and Williams and a decent college guard in Anderson and you can win 20+ games. We have a ton of winnable games on our schedule in this league.

What some people seem to forget in all this is that Jalen and Terry should be bigger and better than they are at this point. That’s the killer. The talent might be marginal, but the real thing is that it isn’t developing fast enough and when a guy shows a few flashes, he barely plays the next game. It’s all just weird.

Reaction Score
I kind of hope Marshall screws up at Witch and they are forced to fire him so that we can scoop him up!

Reaction Score
I kind of hope Marshall screws up at Witch and they are forced to fire him so that we can scoop him up!
You have as much of a chance of that happening as them replacing Marshall with KO

Reaction Score
There are a lot of teams I have not seen play, but Villanova, Michigan State, and Wichita State all look like very serious contenders for at least the elite 8. One dynamic they all have in common is offensive execution. That ball is moving, those players are in motion. The defense against them is constantly in motion reacting and adjusting to what they are doing and does not get a chance to rest and regroup.

The offensive sets they are running are well constructed; the x's and o's coaching is superb, and the players are all on the same page with the execution at a very high level. These teams are legit.

The Huskies are young and improving, but when comparing Uconn's offensive execution to these three teams the differences are startling.
How are the Huskies improving?

Reaction Score
Coach K, Calhoun nor Gregg Marshall wins 20 with this team, think you're way off here but that's just me. Remember not even our best players really get it completely - maybe 16-17 but that's there limit. They aren't very good but could be better eventually. Not sure he can make that happen so in that sense I would agree.

I don't think Red Auerbach with help from Dean Smith, John Wodden and Larry Brown could win 20 games with this team. You can't win without a competent point guard and we don't have one. I for one believe A. Gilbert would have made all the difference in the world with this team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't think Red Auerbach with help from Dean Smith, John Wodden and Larry Brown could win 20 games with this team. You can't win without a competent point guard and we don't have one. I for one believe A. Gilbert would have made all the difference in the world with this team.
You can't win in CBB without one serviceable big unless you have two strong wings. UConn has neither and hasn't had them in a few years
No coach alive or dead wins more than 15 with this group
KO has one legit D1 star - JA and a couple (maybe only 1) D1 caliber player - this year
It's the talent - lack of it and no consistent Big

Reaction Score
Not even close.

He was a head coach for almost a decade at Winthrop. Dude has about 20 years HC experience and 30 years total experience
That’s more like it. Not that fake news. Lol. Yeah I lol when I need to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom