Why was Sanogo out for extended minutes in the last part of the second half? | The Boneyard

Why was Sanogo out for extended minutes in the last part of the second half?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Was he hurt?

It was weird seeing him involved in the offense/defense substitutions at the end of the game

Reaction Score
I wish I loved anything as much as Hurley loves to sit Sanogo when the other team doesn’t have a traditional center on the court. Honestly Kalkbrenner getting hurt helped Creighton because it took our best player out of the game. Good trade off for them
I scratched by head that we would sit our advantage. The in and out for Sanogo in 10 seconds of play beginning at the 3 minute mark left in the game was another question. Were becoming like baseball, 10 -12 hurlers per game, over managed and over refed. If we had play decently in the first half, none of this would have mattered. Just make layups! Teach that, apparently that was learned at the lower grades.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I noticed this in the game and it was frustrating. We have to run our offense through Sanogo especially when Cole is tired and the other team is throwing multiple athletic defenders agains him. When the big guy from Creighton went out we had a huge advantage inside but never really used it. That decision baffled me.

Reaction Score
Looked to me like McDermott dictated who DH could play based on going small and matchups. Good coaching on his part
I mean it depends on your perspective. Sanogo was in for much of the game when they went small. But he still wasn't effective. At that point we changed tactics. The lack of effectiveness is why we changed, which was caused in part by the defense, and in part by Sanogo's poor execution (threw up a couple bricks in traffic).

They were sagging a ton, crowding the paint, and leaving Jackson and Whaley completely wide open from 3. Whaley was making the shots, so Hurley left him in when he took Sanogo out.

Reaction Score
I mean it depends on your perspective. Sanogo was in for much of the game when they went small. But he still wasn't effective. At that point we changed tactics. The lack of effectiveness is why we changed, which was caused in part by the defense, and in part by Sanogo's poor execution (threw up a couple bricks in traffic).

They were sagging a ton, crowding the paint, and leaving Jackson and Whaley completely wide open from 3. Whaley was making the shots, so Hurley left him in when he took Sanogo out.
Points well taken.. Adama had a "quiet" game based on his recent performances. Once their big guy got hurt-Would have hoped for the ability to exploit that absence more.

Need to anticipate Nova going small to attempt to neutralize Adama's presence in the paint-among other things. But the loss last night was not all about Adama-We've gotten spoiled by him and his production. Got to have more team balance when he's not "on'.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Because Creighton went small. Hurley does not like to have Sanogo on the floor against smaller lineups for some reason.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looked to me like McDermott dictated who DH could play based on going small and matchups. Good coaching on his part

Because Creighton went small. Hurley does not like to have Sanogo on the floor against smaller lineups for some reason.

Seen that movie too often.

Hurley did have to go with a 4 out, 1 in lineup and chose to keep Whaley as his big.

Reaction Score
We should be imposing our will on teams through Sanogo
Bingo. Yet you see Sanogo went 3-10 and you can’t have that from a dominating 5. DH post game comments mentioned how Sanago fundamentals and techniques were lacking last night. At this point I think that is an indictment on DH and the coaches. Sanogo circus shots ( for him) have got to be eliminate. 3-10 should never happen

Reaction Score
Sanogo was not getting position last night. He was receiving the ball too far from the basket to be effective. I don't think Hurley was pleased.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I noticed this in the game and it was frustrating. We have to run our offense through Sanogo especially when Cole is tired and the other team is throwing multiple athletic defenders agains him. When the big guy from Creighton went out we had a huge advantage inside but never really used it. That decision baffled me.
I agree, when Kalkbrenner went out with the injury we should have dominated in the paint and we didn't.

Reaction Score
Which makes no sense - make the other team match us.
We tried and it didn't work. Think Jackson's air mailing of the pass into Sanogo late in the game.

Reaction Score
We tried and it didn't work. Think Jackson's air mailing of the pass into Sanogo late in the game.
The point is this is not the first time he has matched the opponent instead of making the opponent match us.
We rarely impose our will on the other team.

Reaction Score

We had a much easier time getting Sanogo the ball when we replaced Whaley with Polley because of this. Ideally this was the type of game you see more playing time for Hawkins and Polley so the threat of their shooting opens up the paint for Sanogo. Hawkins rushing his shots in the first half took him out of the equation, but we seemed to open up the paint when Polley replaced Whaley especially around the 11 to 10 minute mark in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
We had a much easier time getting Sanogo the ball when we replaced Whaley with Polley because of this. Ideally this was the type of game you see more playing time for Hawkins and Polley so the threat of their shooting opens up the paint for Sanogo. Hawkins rushing his shots in the first half took him out of the equation, but we seemed to open up the paint when Polley replaced Whaley especially around the 11 to 10 minute mark in the 2nd half.
Yeah. Which is why I'm not getting too worked up about this game. The other team had a good gameplan, we had options to counter it, and outside of Whaley going 4/8 they didn't work, more because of execution and variance than lack of attempts or strategy. Polley/Hawkins went 0/5 from 3 and failed to D up the pretty mediocre Trey Alexander. Jackson had a cushion to drive and playmake and instead he airballed a step-back 3 with the clock running down. We had the matchups and the guys didn't rise to the occasion.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Which is why I'm not getting too worked up about this game. The other team had a good gameplan, we had options to counter it, and outside of Whaley going 4/8 they didn't work, more because of execution and variance than lack of attempts or strategy. Polley/Hawkins went 0/5 from 3 and failed to D up the pretty mediocre Trey Alexander. Jackson had a cushion to drive and playmake and instead he airballed a step-back 3 with the clock running down. We had the matchups and the guys didn't rise to the occasion.
Agreed, you get worried about this type of stuff when you look across the roster and don't have the counterpunch for their gameplan we did we just didn't get it done. The polley/whaley next to Sanogo decision is an offensive vs defensive one and when Whaley is making 4 threes that makes that decision much easier for Hurley. That said I think we were plus 4 with any lineup that had polley and sanogo on the floor together without Whaley and plus 3 when we had Polley on the floor with Whaley and Sanogo but no Jackson. Maybe could be an argument we stuck with our starters a little too much and Polley could've seen 5 to 10 more minutes in place or jackson/whaley just to open things up but to me that's just about it and even that isn't a guarantee it changes the outcome. This is the type of game that screams how good and adaptable we could be if Hawkins can just make open shots.

Reaction Score
Agreed, you get worried about this type of stuff when you look across the roster and don't have the counterpunch for their gameplan we did we just didn't get it done. The polley/whaley next to Sanogo decision is an offensive vs defensive one and when Whaley is making 4 threes that makes that decision much easier for Hurley. That said I think we were plus 4 with any lineup that had polley and sanogo on the floor together without Whaley and plus 3 when we had Polley on the floor with Whaley and Sanogo but no Jackson. Maybe could be an argument we stuck with our starters a little too much and Polley could've seen 5 to 10 more minutes in place or jackson/whaley just to open things up but to me that's just about it and even that isn't a guarantee it changes the outcome. This is the type of game that screams how good and adaptable we could be if Hawkins can just make open shots.
It's tough because in the first half we were also getting killed on our defensive glass. It doesn't make me want to take switch out Jackson for Polley, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
It's tough because in the first half we were also getting killed on our defensive glass. It doesn't make me want to take switch out Jackson for Polley, that's for sure.
i couldnt understand this. i thought giving up 10 offensive boards was a lot but just looked and we surrendered 11 to depaul and 12 to gtown. 14 in our first game against butler...

Reaction Score
Agreed, again kinda comes down to preference of offense vs defense in terms of how you look at it. Our identity has always been defense and physicality so you can understand Hurley's decision on that. Defensive rebounding is quietly becoming an issue for us as of late, it's a talking point in most of Hurley's past 6 post game press conferences. Need to start finishing these strong defensive possessions with rebounds.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i couldnt understand this. i thought giving up 10 offensive boards was a lot but just looked and we surrendered 11 to depaul and 12 to gtown. 14 in our first game against butler...
Thats because Sanogo is rarely under the board to grab the defensive rebound - he is either out of position or starts to take off up court when the ball goes up - don't know if thats a tactic taught to him or a decision he makes himself. With Sanogo under there he should own the glass and Whaley would be on the otherside in case the ball bounces the other way - like when Emeka and Boone where together

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom