Why was Akok out of the starting line up? | The Boneyard

Why was Akok out of the starting line up?

Reaction Score
Was it APR related? I haven't read anything that answers this.

In a way it was a good thing because it kept him out of earl foul trouble which would have really hurt. But it is unusual for DH to change the starting line up. Anyone know the answer?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I suspect it was because Hurley wanted to have 15 fouls to use on Igbanu, whom we seem in two games to be unable to handle. So Carlton gets two, Whaley comes in and gets 1 or two, then Akok gets a shot at him. Once Whaley was able to keep his fouls down reasonably then both he and Akok could be on the floor together. BTW, I like that lineup with both in together a lot. Since both are active players and block shots well they can cause defensive difficulty for the opponent.

Reaction Score
Best explanation I can find.

Brendan Adams made his first collegiate start, in place of Akok Akok. It was the Huskies’ fourth different starting lineup this season, but expect Akok back in the starting lineup on Sunday against Cincinnati at Gampel Pavilion.

“That was a one-time thing,” Hurley said. “We’re on our way to building a championship organization. On your way to doing that, with the young players, there are teaching and learning moments along the way. There’s a standard these three freshmen have to learn to uphold, of how a championship organization operates. We’ve got to get that message across to our players. You have to do everything right in a championship-level program. It was just a teaching moment for Akok.”

Reaction Score
A teaching moment. In other words we'll never know.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I have solid information that the talk went like this; 'listen bud, your future is bright, but we just can't have another slow offensive start (akok 6 ppg), so i'm gonna mix it up and send out a different group to try and put the dang biscuit in the dang basket right from the getgo.'
except for the 'dang' part, i'm sure that it went exactly like that. verbatim. or not.

Reaction Score
He was out of the lineup because people on the boneyard have been calling for starting lineup changes all year
If anyone says they predicted starting Adams for Akok as a suggestion I wold have to call BS on them.
However I think it was a way to keep him out of foul trouble Especial with their 5 being unstoppable, Since I just got through watching a bunch of YouTube video’s on Julius Caesar it’s like his strategy of holding an experienced legion in reserve to step in quickly wherever things were going badly. In this case it was our center(s)
Both our fives ended up in trouble and we could have been in even more serious trouble if Akok had to sit with them.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bigger question is, why when we reply to a post it’s in puke orange?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Our beat writers won’t find out. Would like to know what’s going on with Sid

Reaction Score
Maybe AA COMING off the bench will light a fire under him. I expect more from him on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Seems like something on the level of being late for a team meeting.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You guys should pay more attention to @ClifSpliffy. He understands. The players he started gave you the best chance to score points. Also, it was probably a lineup Frank didn't plan for. Good Call Coach

Reaction Score
A teaching moment.

\LARGE G_{\mu\nu}+g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda=\frac{8{\pi}G}{c^4}T_{\mu\nu}

Got it?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Didn't Brendan Adams also start in the exhibition game last season for a Jalen Adams teaching moment?

Reaction Score
With the Tulsa big on the bench it allowed Carlton to get some work in before their big came in. Akok then could come in with their big.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Our beat writers won’t find out. Would like to know what’s going on with Sid
We honestly have the worst beat writers in CBB. They don’t let us know about anything, theyll tell us they have information but never say what exactly it is, they toe the program line ALWAYS. All they is do lazy work like tweet what Hurley is saying during a presser. They’re useless.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We honestly have the worst beat writers in CBB. They don’t let us know about anything, theyll tell us they have information but never say what exactly it is, they toe the program line ALWAYS. All they is do lazy work like tweet what Hurley is saying during a presser. They’re useless.
To be fair, Hurley isn't lose lipped like the guy before him. Getting info outa the new guard is a challenge.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Before the game Hurley said that Akok was having some soreness in his knees and may see a diminish in his playing time vs Tulsa
Then he says its a teaching moment
Hmmmm
Whatever the case - Akok needs to become a bigger contributor on the offensive end and I know he learned some valuable lessons on D when Igbanu took him to school. Akok is a fast learn on D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom