Why UConn women's basketball's Elite Eight win over NC State was 'euphoric': Voices from Bridgeport | The Boneyard

Why UConn women's basketball's Elite Eight win over NC State was 'euphoric': Voices from Bridgeport

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

UCONN fans will enjoy this article (the win) and won't (Dorka's injury). All the people below and more have much to say.

"UConn Sports 97.9 ESPN’s Bob Joyce: "It’s among my top five of all-time favorite broadcasts I’ve ever done involving UConn."

SNY’s Maria Marino: "I just enjoyed it so much. You couldn’t help but smile in the aftermath of it. It was like a glow."

"ESPN’s Ryan Ruocco: "I would say it was euphoric."

Meg Culmo: "‘Oh my God. What more can this team go through this year?’ .... I mean it's really a sin that either team had to lose that game."

Reaction Score

UCONN fans will enjoy this article (the win) and won't (Dorka's injury). All the people below and more have much to say.

"UConn Sports 97.9 ESPN’s Bob Joyce: "It’s among my top five of all-time favorite broadcasts I’ve ever done involving UConn."

SNY’s Maria Marino: "I just enjoyed it so much. You couldn’t help but smile in the aftermath of it. It was like a glow."

"ESPN’s Ryan Ruocco: "I would say it was euphoric."

Meg Culmo: "‘Oh my God. What more can this team go through this year?’ .... I mean it's really a sin that either team had to lose that game."
Meg Culmo said "Oh my God. What more can this team go through this year?".... I mean it's a sin that either team had to lose that game." Ain't it the truth. But I'm glad it was Uconn. GO HUSKIES!!!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there, and it was most exciting game, any sport, that I have ever seen in person.

Louisville in Albany, Elite Eight 2019, and (dare I say it?) Notre Dame Final Four 2018 come to mind, but this one tops them all by a lot.

I remember throwing my UConn hat down in frustration after Brown-Turner hit the three at the end of the first overtime. I did not like our chances at that point, Olivia and Aaliyah both had four fouls, but mainly I was emotionally fried and had no idea how I was going to make it through another five minutes of this.

For Paige to have put on a performance like that at far less than full strength was almost indescribable. I am trying to think of other comparable performances. Kirk Gibson comes to mind, but that was one swing. Paige was delivering time and time again.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think one of the reasons it stands out so much in Uconn lore is ... Uconn has a terrible record in overtime games!!!

Through the years, if a team is good enough to get to overtime against Uconn, then they are good enough to prevail against them, and they have. In fact from 2012-3-2018 the only blemishes on Uconn's record were in fact OT losses. ND and Stanford doing so in the regular season, and ND and MsSt in the tournament. Of our 14 FF streak, we won 6 titles and lost 8 times - 4 of the eight were in overtime.

To win a significant game in overtime or double overtime was fabulous.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think one of the reasons it stands out so much in Uconn lore is ... Uconn has a terrible record in overtime games!!!

Through the years, if a team is good enough to get to overtime against Uconn, then they are good enough to prevail against them, and they have. In fact from 2012-3-2018 the only blemishes on Uconn's record were in fact OT losses. ND and Stanford doing so in the regular season, and ND and MsSt in the tournament. Of our 14 FF streak, we won 6 titles and lost 8 times - 4 of the eight were in overtime.

Yes, but UConn is 2-0 in OT games with Paige on the court, with wins over SC & NC St. Coincidence? I think not….

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

My sentiments exactly. We have seen more than our share of excruciating overtime losses. To finally win one in the 2021 regular season and another in the 2022 elite eight has felt cathartic.

Reaction Score
I was there and it was a fantastic win! It was one of the most exciting games…just wow!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The men’s six overtime game vs Syracuse was like that… draining just to watch never mind to play in. Disappointing finish, but I think everyone was relieved it had finally stopped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom