Why UConn is losing games? Simple: it's the defense | The Boneyard

Why UConn is losing games? Simple: it's the defense

Reaction Score
Remember when Calhoun had a goal for his teams to limit opponents to under 40 percent? If UConn was doing that they would've only lost one game most likely (Providence)

Why UConn is losing games? Simple: it's the defense (losses in bold).

Allow opponent above 50 percent: 0-3
Allow opponent 45-50 percent: 1-0
Allow opponents 40-45 percent: 6-0
Allow opponents below 40 percent: 8-1

Opponents shooting possession:

St. Johns - 51.7 % (L)
Marquette - 50.8% (L)

Creighton - 32.8% (W)
Providence - 36.7% (L)
Xavier - 53.8% (L)

Villanova - 43.1% (W)
G'Town - 45.8% (W)
Butler - 29.6% (W)
LIU - 42.3% (W)
Florida - 30.2% (W)
Ok St - 39.3% (W)
Iowa St - 40.7% (W)
Alabama - 42% (W)
Oregon - 42.6% (W)
Del St - 38.5% (W)
UNCW - 30.9% (W)
Buffalo - 43.1% (W)
Boston U - 34% (W)
Stonehill - 35.6% (W)

Reaction Score
I think the bad defense is also hurting their offense, too. When they got stops it took pressure off their offense and in particular their shooting knowing their defense can hold. Also, I think when they got stops they could fuel their fast break more and get their shooters more wide open looks.

Reaction Score
I think the bad defense is also hurting their offense, too. When they got stops it took pressure off their offense and in particular their shooting knowing their defense can hold. Also, I think when they got stops they could fuel their fast break more and get their shooters more wide open looks.
Spot on

Reaction Score
Then I guess the question is, what's changed? If you disregard the cupcakes, we still help some good teams to under 45%.

Reaction Score
Defense and clearing defensive boards is the difference. At PK tournament defense looked great and they grabbed rebounds in traffic. Sanogo is good at 1-1 defense, but doesn’t really help at rim. Early in the season Newton and Alleyne were able to pressure ball and keep opponents from driving to rim, so we didn’t need Sanogo to block shots. I don’t know what changed… maybe an injury to Newton or maybe it’s an attitude problem. There was an awkward post game conference after the Georgetown came where Newton seemed to have a problem with all the attention Diarra was getting. I wonder is there is some team conflict there. Either way Newton can not guard anyone now, and If the guards can not defend, then I the only option is to have a rim protector, and Clingan is the only one on the team that can offer that, unless Samson Johnson has a miracle recovery and turns out be a prodigy. I like Diarra’s attitude and effort. I know he is really struggling to shoot, but maybe with more playing time he will get more comfortable and get better.

Reaction Score
Hurley's Defensive scheme has just been exposed against good teams for years now, but glad you guys are catching up.

Look high hedge, hyper aggressive closeouts & teaching playmaking (reaching, poking for steals, riding the offensive player has upsides - against teams with weaknesses in the backcourt or composure issues it can force bad midrange shots, force players who aren't used to dribbling to make plays and errors, etc. It also makes getting clean 3's harder, because you are closing out at all costs to avoid it.

But it also has downsides - it makes you incredibly foul prone from the rotations, closeouts, playmaking, and physicality in space. And I think what we are learning is why unless you absolutely play no-middle like baylor or other teams philosophically, it creates wide lanes of opportunity for high level players because it provides clear lanes to drive, exposes you to backdoor cuts for easy layups, and makes it very easy to force rotation and exploit mismatches or confuse the defense for easy buckets.

To recap: Good against teams with questionable playmaking/talent. Bad against teams with good playmaking/talent. Sound familiar with Hurley?

When we have played drop coverage this year and focused on cohesive defense and walling up at the rim and not fouling, we've been much more effective defensively. That's all there is to it. In some ways I think this is also a vestige of Hurley's experience at mid-majors that hasn't translated well. When you have size disadvantages, it can make sense to create havoc/chaos and hope the good outweighs the bad because playing strait up you will probably get ground down. But when you step up to the big-boi-court and have 7'2, 6'9 on your frontline and can just play strait up more, you probably should.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes. We all know. The questions are (a) why? and (b) what do we do about it. They players don't all of a sudden stink. It's not that. They didn't forget how to play. What we are seeing is systemic. It's the result of teams in the Big East knowing exactly how to attack our defense and Hurley being unwilling or unable to adapt to it.

For a reminder of how it used to look, here are highlights from Alabama. Note how we do get beat off the dribble, but Sanogo is mostly in the paint, or if he's out guarding a ball screen, he hedges to cut off the penetration. Clingan as well. But Bama is using ball screens sparingly. In the four losses, it's simply a non-stop parade of ball screens, because we can't stop it, our trailing guards reach and foul. At around 7:25 a Bama guy torches AK but AS is there to protect the rim. They also play Sanogo 1 on 1, and that doesn't go well for them. Bama does have success attacking off ball screens, so we weren't great at it, even then. There is a moment at 14.53 of this video where Clingan comes out and guards (as Kansas does) at the level of the screener, cutting off the ball handler. He passes, and Clingan recovers to the paint for a block. One of the mistakes Bama makes here, that Big East teams don't, is rolling the screener before they attack. Not sure if for rebounding, but it pulls Sanogo back and he's in position to challenge shots. You won't see that in the Big East, they know our 5 stays outside if his man does. This is all fixable. It's like UConn playing Dime defense to take away the passing game and giving up 7 yards a carry to running backs, so they just keep running. They all see the tape, so even a crap team like St. Johns can beat us.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When you have size disadvantages, it can make sense to create havoc/chaos and hope the good outweighs the bad because playing strait up you will probably get ground down. But when you step up to the big-boi-court and have 7'2, 6'9 on your frontline and can just play strait up more, you probably should.
This is the reason I think he plays this way, he had to in the past at Wagner & URI and even with less talented UConn teams. And it works against good teams that haven't had a chance to really deeply scout the defense, not just bad teams. But these coaches in the Big East know exactly how to attack it.

Reaction Score
Then I guess the question is, what's changed? If you disregard the cupcakes, we still help some good teams to under 45%.
Talent of the opponent largely. Alabama and Iowa State are both great teams, but outside of that, the non conference was a cake walk. Also the focus. Way easier to fire up the guys early in the season when they want to play again after a disappointing tourney the year before, but when you re playing 2-3 games a week with injuries, losses and other distractions, effort and focus can be poor

Reaction Score
This is the reason I think he plays this way, he had to in the past at Wagner & URI and even with less talented UConn teams. And it works against good teams that haven't had a chance to really deeply scout the defense, not just bad teams. But these coaches in the Big East know exactly how to attack it.

Yea its a good point - I think if you want to kind of group all of Hurley's weaknesses into one thing - its that he adjusts ok - just at WAYYYYYY too slow of a speed. He makes strategic adjustments fine (4 out 1 in, Ok Fine we will use the transfer portal, Geez our roster construction wasn't very good lets fix that).

Its just that he takes way too long to make those adjustments, and when he makes tactical/game situational changes they are... record scratch... not always a good time.

This whole bizarre 1-3-1 example, for instance, is... wildly insane.

Reaction Score
Meant to add this too - This type of defense can be so chaotic and disruptive that it can help lesser teams beat better teams - and if you are at URI and Wagner and you create havoc and steal a random game against a Big East or ACC team, you are a god. Have a 25% winning percentage against Big East and ACC teams at URI? Extensions, raises, court named after you.

Do the same at UConn? You aren't going to make it to the mountaintop, because just as it creates havoc that can benefit you as the weaker team, it creates havoc that can hurt you as the better team against an inferior team! Danny needs an entire re-evaluation of what it means to play at this level and how that affects his tactical decisions.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I agree with the title of this thread.

Our defense sucks.

For our defense to suck this bad, both the players and coaches deserve to share the blame. There's tons to go around.

Reaction Score
Yesterday the scheme was wrong and SJU got to the rack constantly and we didn't adjust. Usually I'm not on the "blame Hurley" bus - but yesterday I think is on him.

Reaction Score
He also seems to be scared to disciple some of his players. You come out of half - Newton throws the ball 30 feet out of bounds and then Jackson turns the ball over AGAIN!

TAKE THEM OUT IMMEDIATELY!!! Stop being so afraid of the players. Calhoun would have sat them for the rest of the game. How do you just let that happen. Where is the accountability?

Reaction Score
This is what we are doing wrong.

We overplay on the outside and it allows opponents to blow by and get to the rim. It was a lay up line. Has been for five games. Overplay, blow by, lay up. Overplay, blow by and lay up.

Hell, Jackson is six foot-six inches tall, he does NOT need to be in his man's chest outside the three point line. He needs to be back a foot, take away the drive to the lane and make his guy settle for a contested outside shot.

Yes, this is an oversimplification. But we play with a lot of meaningless aggression. Meaningless because it accomplishes nothing. Softening our perimeter defense, just a hair, would yield better defensive results.

Reaction Score
BTW, another benefit of softening the perimeter defense just a little, it would result in us committing less fouls.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see the defensive stats for when Clingan is in vs Adama. In the Marquette game for example, Clingan comes in down 20-15 and quickly UConn is up 29-20. The defense seems much better with Clingan in and a more traditional defense.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I’d love to see the defensive stats for when Clingan is in vs Adama. In the Marquette game for example, Clingan comes in down 20-15 and quickly UConn is up 29-20. The defense seems much better with Clingan in and a more traditional defense.
Hurley's defense needs dominant rim protection. We get that with Clingan; we don't with Sanogo.

As an aside, it's why fans are excited about the possible return of Samson. If he's even serviceable, he fills such a big need.

Reaction Score
Hurley's defense needs dominant rim protection. We get that with Clingan; we don't with Sanogo.

As an aside, it's why fans are excited about the possible return of Samson. If he's even serviceable, he fills such a big need.
His recovery has been long and frustrating. Hopefully we have him back soon and he brings a great infusion. If he can bring a point guard with him too, that would be nice.

Reaction Score
The question is this, how do you keep Clingan on the floor when there is no defense and he’s the last guy at the rim. His instinct is to guard and block the shot which he does well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Sanogo protects the rim just fine when he’s actually in the paint. He’s not the issue. Watch older clips. It’s the defense he is asked to play, which is not the same as Clingan. Hurley’s normal defense actually doesn’t have a shot blocker at all, he disrupts drives at the perimeter. But Clingan can’t do that and Sanogo can, but not like Whaley, and Hurley has Sanogo in some half assed position where he’s not doing either.

Reaction Score
Said it many times. Why are we trying to guard every inch of the floor starting at half court. We end up chasing. Getting lost on ball screens. Out of position. And then AJ tries to be hero.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Remember when Calhoun had a goal for his teams to limit opponents to under 40 percent? If UConn was doing that they would've only lost one game most likely (Providence)

Why UConn is losing games? Simple: it's the defense (losses in bold).

Allow opponent above 50 percent: 0-3
Allow opponent 45-50 percent: 1-0
Allow opponents 40-45 percent: 6-0
Allow opponents below 40 percent: 8-1

Opponents shooting possession:

St. Johns - 51.7 % (L)
Marquette - 50.8% (L)

Creighton - 32.8% (W)
Providence - 36.7% (L)
Xavier - 53.8% (L)

Villanova - 43.1% (W)
G'Town - 45.8% (W)
Butler - 29.6% (W)
LIU - 42.3% (W)
Florida - 30.2% (W)
Ok St - 39.3% (W)
Iowa St - 40.7% (W)
Alabama - 42% (W)
Oregon - 42.6% (W)
Del St - 38.5% (W)
UNCW - 30.9% (W)
Buffalo - 43.1% (W)
Boston U - 34% (W)
Stonehill - 35.6% (W)
Our offense is extremely predictable as well

Reaction Score
fixing the D is the top priority. At the beginning of the year our D kept us in every game even when our O wasn’t flowing, enabling us to eventually grind some teams down e.g. ISU and Florida.

we should swap Newton out for Diarra, who is our best perimeter defender, and swap AK out for Clingan, who is our best rim protector. (I’d otherwise swap out sanogo for Clingan but can’t see Hurley benching him, plus he’s still our leading scorer).

Along with brining our two best defenders in, we need to stop overplaying on the perimeter. We can give up more 3s so long as we address the untenable foul/free throw disparity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom