Why UConn football coach Jim Mora thinks the quarterback slide should be outlawed by the NCAA (Arruda) | The Boneyard

Why UConn football coach Jim Mora thinks the quarterback slide should be outlawed by the NCAA (Arruda)

Reaction Score

-> UConn likes to take advantage of Evers’ ability to take off and run with the football. It is a significant part of the Huskies’ option offense, which has climbed up the national ranks in recent weeks. But before he returns to game action, there will be time spent working on diving, rather than sliding.

Mora says the former is actually the safer option.

“I think personally, it won’t happen, but if they wanted a guy that’s coached football for 40-something years and been around it for his whole life, I would say that the NCAA should take a really hard look at outlawing quarterback sliding feet-first,” he said. “That’s when they get hurt. You go watch Steve Young play, who is in the Hall of Fame, you go watch Mike Vick play, you watch some of those other running quarterbacks, they always dove.

“They always went head-first, they got their head below the hit. They protected the ball that way, and they had their shoulder pads going first instead of an exposed upper body… I don’t understand why they continue to let quarterbacks slide. Not only do they put the quarterback in danger, but they make the game incredibly hard to play for the defense and they make it incredibly hard to officiate. That’s just an opinion based on 60 years of football life.” <-

Reaction Score
That makes sense to me. Qbs are the only guys who slide and seem to be the most prone to concussions mostly on sliding plays. What I would say is don’t outlaw it but teach guys to do it the other way. If the qb goes down he is down.

Reaction Score
Maybe Steve Young wasn't the best example to prove a point. I remember seeing one of his first post playing days tv appearances, whether true or not his brains seemed scrambled. He struggled through the segment. Many attributed that to concussions. He suffered at least 5 or 6 during his playing days. They were assessed differently back then so he probably had a whole lot more than reported.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember the hit to the Maryland QB.. That was a legit hit! Football is a contact sport and some guys are prone injures and some guys just can’t take a hit.. aka glass jaw.. some guys can take a punch and some guys can’t. It is what it is. I would guess it comes with preparation or not? Strong neck.. maybe. Slide, dive, or just lower your shoulder and go. You either can take it or you can’t.. it’s football.

Reaction Score

-> UConn likes to take advantage of Evers’ ability to take off and run with the football. It is a significant part of the Huskies’ option offense, which has climbed up the national ranks in recent weeks. But before he returns to game action, there will be time spent working on diving, rather than sliding.

Mora says the former is actually the safer option.

“I think personally, it won’t happen, but if they wanted a guy that’s coached football for 40-something years and been around it for his whole life, I would say that the NCAA should take a really hard look at outlawing quarterback sliding feet-first,” he said. “That’s when they get hurt. You go watch Steve Young play, who is in the Hall of Fame, you go watch Mike Vick play, you watch some of those other running quarterbacks, they always dove.

“They always went head-first, they got their head below the hit. They protected the ball that way, and they had their shoulder pads going first instead of an exposed upper body… I don’t understand why they continue to let quarterbacks slide. Not only do they put the quarterback in danger, but they make the game incredibly hard to play for the defense and they make it incredibly hard to officiate. That’s just an opinion based on 60 years of football life.” <-

I would also say "slide is not enough"... you have to pay attention and realize you might have to dodge your body in a convenient direction

Reaction Score
Maybe Steve Young wasn't the best example to prove a point. I remember seeing one of his first post playing days tv appearances, whether true or not his brains seemed scrambled. He struggled through the segment. Many attributed that to concussions. He suffered at least 5 or 6 during his playing days. They were assessed differently back then so he probably had a whole lot more that reported.
He was a pretty aggressive runner in HS as well but not overmatched physically by many. As you move up levels those hits are exponentially more dangerous. Hope Steve is doing well. But on the sliding issue it's to difficult for the runner to judge and he's often trying to get too much then putting defenders and themselves in a no win situation. The refs then have to pretend it's happening in slo motion. Far from it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom