Why UConn Doesn't have Depth? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Why UConn Doesn't have Depth?

MTC

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what point you and others are making with this line of argument. Is it that Geno should succeed with every recruiting pitch? As we all know, he recruited both Brown and Cox, and more recently Boston, and was not successful -- but not for lack of effort. So what is your point -- that we need a coach who can be more persuasive with those kinds of recruits?

Or are you saying that he should be less selective and just get a big body? He has tried that also, successfully (a long time ago) with Kara Wolters and more recently with Natalie Butler and (yes) Kyla Irwin. But then you say that isn't the answer.

So, what (in your opinion) is the answer? What should Geno and CD doing that they aren't already doing?
Here is the answer you are asking for. Geno is allowed 15 scholarships but if he would just find 6 "A" players and 5 or 6 "B" players that would allow him to make mistakes and still have a very competitive team. You don't always have everyone playing their best each game but you can replace them with someone less talented but anxious to give you 100%.
Seriously, what is the problem with carrying a few extra players? Muffet figures for every good player she recruits, that is one less player Geno can use against her team. Makes sense to me too.

Reaction Score
Cordosa the 6’7 post out of Tennessee is the one I want for 2020. I’ve heard she’s a UCONN lean. But it could change now that holly is gone her home state could be the favor now. Until UCONN gets a few bigs they won’t be national title contenders. I don’t care how many all Americans he gets u needs bigs!! And u need a bench. We’ve been down this road to many times... the recruiting needs to change sadly due to the players and culture changing ... so hopefully things will start to look favorable going foward. The last big left on the table for a possible transfer and waiver is 6’4 Sidney Cooks. ND seemed to think they were going to get her but Marshall committing will change that. With Marshall there u still have 6’4 Vaughn 6’4 Corve 6’2 Patterson and Brunelle 6’2 that’s a lot of size and talent to compete with.

"Not be national title contenders?" You mean like the past dozen years? Or does making the Final Four not count as a "national title contender?"

Reaction Score
Meant getting to a final four yes is being a contender but winning it all is a difference .. I just think if we had more size and more depth we would have won.. taking my words and making them into something else. But it is what it is. Let’s all enjoy the summer and talk basketball next fall

Reaction Score
...Just because you may have 15 players on the bench does not mean you have real team depth.

Absolutely, and if UConn had that many players (with talent worthy of minutes in crunch time), even more would be transferring out at season's end. If you're talented, you want to play. Riding the bench, even if it's on a NC team, rarely fills the desire to be in the trenches battling for a victory.

Reaction Score
6’3 Combo Forward Reese is also on the UConn radar, she’s not the most popular player here, but I think she would be able to provide some inside help as a rim runner and rebounder, and could be our only hope of getting some type of big for the 2020 class.

Reaction Score
6’3 Combo Forward Reese is also on the UConn radar, she’s not the most popular player here, but I think she would be able to provide some inside help as a rim runner and rebounder, and could be our only hope of getting some type of big for the 2020 class.
Totally agree.

Reaction Score
Someone get @MTC some oxygen...or a paper bag.

1555680732628.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom