Why The WNBA Needs A Christmas Day Of Their Own | The Boneyard

Why The WNBA Needs A Christmas Day Of Their Own

Reaction Score
the tradition of Christmas Day games has become a way for the NBA to promote their product and have everyone celebrate basketball on the same day. Like the Super Bowl for the NFL or the Winter Classic for the NHL, it gives the NBA a chance to be the focal point of the entire sports world, something that is harder to do with a best of seven series during the playoffs.

So of course this begs the question: Why doesn’t the WNBA have something similar?

WNBA: Why They Need A Christmas Day Of Their Own

Kind of an interesting concept! What do you think?

BTW, Shattered Backboard is a new site that covers WBB. I am writing there, in addition to continuing to host the podcast on my own site.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
the tradition of Christmas Day games has become a way for the NBA to promote their product and have everyone celebrate basketball on the same day. Like the Super Bowl for the NFL or the Winter Classic for the NHL, it gives the NBA a chance to be the focal point of the entire sports world, something that is harder to do with a best of seven series during the playoffs.

So of course this begs the question: Why doesn’t the WNBA have something similar?

WNBA: Why They Need A Christmas Day Of Their Own

Kind of an interesting concept! What do you think?

BTW, Shattered Backboard is a new site that covers WBB. I am writing there, in addition to continuing to host the podcast on my own site.

Baseball tends to own the 4th of July. But it's really the only option they have for holiday that everyone is off. So it does make sense.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Outdoor game, on the Mall in DC - national TV. Mystics host it each year or make it a WNBA Finals rematch. Make it a celebration of women's basketball at every level, free entertainment and associated events, big-name half time entertainment like a Superbowl-light. :)

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Outdoor game, on the Mall in DC - national TV. Mystics host it each year or make it a WNBA Finals rematch. Make it a celebration of women's basketball at every level, free entertainment and associated events, big-name half time entertainment like a Superbowl-light. :)

Do it the day after baseball's All-Star game.

Whatever it is that's going to be done should be done that day. That's the only day in the summer that's an option. Every other day, including the day before the All-Star Game, means competing with baseball.

If you wanted to boost a game, you could put the NBA Draft Lottery at the half of a marquee game.

Reaction Score
I really shouldn't be the diction police here (I live in a glass house), but someone has got to take a stand (assuming Kib doesn't hop to it) on the extraordinary sudden misuse of "beg the question" everywhere we turn.

To beg the question doesn't mean to demand that the question be asked. It actually means something that is nearly the opposite:

Begs the question is a term that comes from formal logic. It's a translation of the Latin phrase petitio principii, and it's used to mean that someone has made a conclusion based on a premise that lacks support. -- from the Web

To beg the question means that you don't have enough logical support on your side to draw the conclusion you've drawn, so in effect you are ducking the responsibility (begging off) from the tough logic.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I really shouldn't be the diction police here (I live in a glass house), but someone has got to take a stand (assuming Kib doesn't hop to it) on the extraordinary sudden misuse of "beg the question" everywhere we turn.

YES! YES! YES!

Instead, say, "raises the question" or "begs that the question of <x> be asked."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom