Why the Duke loss is not astounding to me. | The Boneyard

Why the Duke loss is not astounding to me.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yeah, 'member when the sun didn't rise in '91, '92, '01, '10 and '15?
Wasn't Duke a #1 seed all of those years. Duke perenially underperforms their seed line when they are anything but a 1 and have even struggled as a 1 (see 2011).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wasn't Duke a #1 seed all of those years. Duke perenially underperforms their seed line when they are anything but a 1 and have even struggled as a 1 (see 2011).
#2 seed in '91.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that they have 9 McDonalds all Americans on their roster. Stop and think about that for a second. The idea that their coaching staff can't work out a combination to lose less than 5 games is astonishing. Yes, I'm aware that on any given night shooters go cold and you can lose but most teams are thrilled when they have 1 of those players to build around and even though they have 5 titles, they should have more based on that talent. We have certainly gotten some great players in the past but our 4 titles are like a miracle of coaching compared to theirs, not even close. Is Jim Calhoun the second greatest men's coach in NCAA history only to John Wooden? You'd never know it on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that they have 9 McDonalds all Americans on their roster. Stop and think about that for a second. The idea that their coaching staff can't work out a combination to lose less than 5 games is astonishing. Yes, I'm aware that on any given night shooters go cold and you can lose but most teams are thrilled when they have 1 of those players to build around and even though they have 5 titles, they should have more based on that talent. We have certainly gotten some great players in the past but our 4 titles are like a miracle of coaching compared to theirs, not even close. Is Jim Calhoun the second greatest men's coach in NCAA history only to John Wooden? You'd never know it on ESPN.

The 9 McD's is crazy... I will say that, at least in the past, players were ranked higher once they committed to Duke. They have a long list of McD-AA's who legitimately sucked; this isn't the guys who K couldn't reach like Ricky Price, Damarcus Nelson, McRoberts, or Shav Randolph or arguably Dockery and Duhon, These are guys who were so catastrophically overrated in part due to their connection to Duke.

I'm talking Duke legends like:
Crawford Palmer, Joey Beard, Chris Burgess, Casey Sanders, Eric Boateng, Michael Thompson, Taylor King, Marshall Plumlee, Lance Thomas, Chase Jeter, Paulus, Wojo... All McDonald's All-Americans and most of these were not even close to being as good as they were ranked.

Palmer and Joey Beard went to Dartmouth and BU where they were good players in a small conference. Burgess was okay at Utah, Boateng and Casey Sanders were awful, Thompson was ok at Northwestern for a year, Taylor King was mediocre at Duke and Nova, Plumlee sucked, Lance Thomas was a mediocre player at Duke who somehow/someway has carved out a career, Jeter has yet to play in two years, and Paulus and Wojo were overrated beyond belief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom