Why the Conference winning matters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why the Conference winning matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We play at whatever time gets us the most eyeballs watching the game.

Reaction Score
When you include the playoff shares and bowl money, i would not be surprised if the revenue differential between the P5 and UConn will be $30MM or more per year. No business can expect to compete with that gap. Fans at the Rent are nice, but TV is the driver.
You are probably right. The next AAC TV contract will be better though - we got really screwed (in yet ANOTHER way)by the NBC lowball bid that all ESPN had to do was match. And if what you say is in fact true then football everywhere will be done save for the P5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure whaler has pointed this out afew times, but attendance was decreasing when we were going through our most successful stretch in program history.

Sure, winning will help but there's a lot ofother factors in play here.

Well it's hard to know exactly is attendance was dropping since they published numbers that would have made Richard Gordon blush, but season tickets kept dwindling even when they were winning.

Have they published prices related to Jan 7? They aren't really coming back with the same prices this season are they?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well the first week of December games will go away unless it's a conference championship game.

It's clear to everyone but a few posters they draw better on Thursday of Labor Day weekend than Saturday.

TV picks a lot of start times so not a whole hell of a lot they can do on that one.

Reaction Score
Here's a couple of thoughts: 1.) Stop scheduling "weak " D-2 teams for the opener (problem solved for next year), 2.) Stop playing the opener on a Thursday night during the first couple of days of a new school year for kids throughout the state, 3.) More games at noon or 3:30, fewer at night and finally, stop playing home games the first weekend in December.

Don't agree:
1) Even though we scheduled BYU this coming year, it's better to start with teams who need a revenue day while we get "game bugs" out....
2)playing opener on Thurs nite is better to get a) more TV sets watching UCONN football. & b) gives us 9-10 days until next game & c) Labor day crowd not compromised with Thurs nite game
3)Want more games at 7:00PM not later and open the gates at 9AM - not 3:30 for a night game so we can start with bloody Mary's and go all day.
4)I'll take any December game at the Rent against the likes of Memphis, SMU, Houston, USF & UCF and anybody else from a hot as***s client.

Reaction Score
Well the first week of December games will go away unless it's a conference championship game.

It's clear to everyone but a few posters they draw better on Thursday of Labor Day weekend than Saturday.

TV picks a lot of start times so not a whole hell of a lot they can do on that one.

This is not the correct forum to share facts.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don't agree:
1) Even though we scheduled BYU this coming year, it's better to start with teams who need a revenue day while we get "game bugs" out....
2)playing opener on Thurs nite is better to get a) more TV sets watching UCONN football. & b) gives us 9-10 days until next game & c) Labor day crowd not compromised with Thurs nite game
3)Want more games at 7:00PM not later and open the gates at 9AM - not 3:30 for a night game so we can start with bloody Mary's and go all day.
4)I'll take any December game at the Rent against the likes of Memphis, SMU, Houston, USF & UCF and anybody else from a hot as* *s client.

We can't afford early season guarantee games. MAC and Sun Belt teams go for over $1MM a game. We can afford Rhode Island level competition.

I hope and expect that our cream puff games will be in conference. We have to play a minimum of two quality opponents OOC to have any national credibility and to sell season tickets.

If they opened the gates at 9 am for a 7 pm kickoff, that would give me time for two naps.

Reaction Score
We can't afford early season guarantee games. MAC and Sun Belt teams go for over $1MM a game. We can afford Rhode Island level competition.

I hope and expect that our cream puff games will be in conference. We have to play a minimum of two quality opponents OOC to have any national credibility and to sell season tickets.

If they opened the gates at 9 am for a 7 pm kickoff, that would give me time for two naps.

I would like to open up with cream puff OOC followed by at least 2 quality OOC games at a minimum.
At a minimum, we need to open the gates earlier to accommodate people traveling, alleviate the 5:OO pm traffic in and around Hartford for those of us traveling, and, most of all...
my pet peeve: if people started tailgating by noon instead of 3:30 ( three hours earlier for a night game), we might be able to get more people in their seats by kickoff.......whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
I like playing a better team opening week. Looking back, we've had better total season success when opening up with a BCS or better MAC team (we may have had better teams those years too, I dunno). It creates a greater sense of urgency coming into camp and during camp (and I'm assuming off-season training). We may win, we may lose, but historically speaking the team has been better for the totality of the season. I love us opening with BYU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom