Why Nothing Will Happen | The Boneyard

Why Nothing Will Happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because if they wanted to make "a statement"that we wont tolerate this performance anymore there would have been an announcement at 10:00AM this morning.

What you have going on is classic hand wringing by ineffectual leadership with no understanding of the level of crisis this program is in. You have to wonder whether football is no longer a priority.

Reaction Score
Because if they wanted to make "a statement"that we wont tolerate this performance anymore there would have been an announcement at 10:00AM this morning.

What you have going on is classic hand wringing by ineffectual leadership with no understanding of the level of crisis this program is in. You have to wonder whether football is no longer a priority.

As much as I want to see P gone, I disagree with this. If you fired him this morning, you are telling your players that you have given up on them and their season already, and you need to do something for the fans instead. This is a lost year. Promoting Hughes or Foley to interim head coach will not make this team better -- there are only so many changes someone can put in during a season, and these aren't guys who are good enough to be head coaches at this level anyway or they would be by now in their careers.

The players are 0-1. The players need a chance to have a good season regardless of what the fanbase wants. Call me when we're 0-6. Not that I expect to be.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Cause our leaders are a bunch of pansies.

I'm finally in a place, career-wise, where I've been kicking around the idea of donating back to my alma mater. Not a lot, but things were too tight to even consider it before. Instead, last night I was openly wondering "why am I going to buy tickets next year?", never mind donating anything.

I'll buy the tickets, I know I will. But damn if it isn't easier to loosen up the purse strings when this team has heart and is competing with the best. My feeling of pride in UConn is at an all time low. Take some freakin definitive action and end this disaster.

Reaction Score
As much as I want to see P gone, I disagree with this. If you fired him this morning, you are telling your players that you have given up on them and their season already, and you need to do something for the fans instead. This is a lost year. Promoting Hughes or Foley to interim head coach will not make this team better -- there are only so many changes someone can put in during a season, and these aren't guys who are good enough to be head coaches at this level anyway or they would be by now in their careers.

The players are 0-1. The players need a chance to have a good season regardless of what the fanbase wants. Call me when we're 0-6. Not that I expect to be.

I suppose that is one way to look at it. Another perspective is it shows the admin supports the players and want to give them a chance to succeed with a fresh start. I don't see players respecting this guy for very long. They are not out there battling because they are handcuffed by complication, forced technique and dictated scheme. It shows up in inability to execute, tentative decision making, and lack of aggression. They have the size, talent, strength and speed advantage and got physically beat by a smaller, slower and weaker team. That tells you PP is not allowing these guys to play to their potential because its a bad system. Guys with talent are not going to tolerate a season of this. They will go south.

They need a fresh start now. They need to go back to basic fundamentals and basic schemes and emphasize execution and toughness. They need leadership and motivation to believe they can win battles, not finesse.

Reaction Score
I suppose that is one way to look at it. Another perspective is it shows the admin supports the players and want to give them a chance to succeed with a fresh start. I don't see players respecting this guy for very long. They are not out there battling because they are handcuffed by complication, forced technique and dictated scheme. It shows up in inability to execute, tentative decision making, and lack of aggression. They have the size, talent, strength and speed advantage and got physically beat by a smaller, slower and weaker team. That tells you PP is not allowing these guys to play to their potential because its a bad system. Guys with talent are not going to tolerate a season of this. They will go south.

They need a fresh start now. They need to go back to basic fundamentals and basic schemes and emphasize execution and toughness. They need leadership and motivation to believe they can win battles, not finesse.

FWIW, I am in full agreement with everything you said. I just don't think you truly improve the players chances of winning games by making those kind of wholesale changes on the fly.

Reaction Score

So then we're accepting lousy, inept and boring!?

Reaction Score
FWIW, I am in full agreement with everything you said. I just don't think you truly improve the players chances of winning games by making those kind of wholesale changes on the fly.

I agree up to these points: this is not the best time to get rid of PP. The best time to have gotten rid of PP was before they hired him. After that, I wanted him gone after his first 5-7 campaign. Oh and definitely after last season. However, since none of that happened and he continues to destroy this program, then just get rid of him. Now would be optimal.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
If nothing is done, and losing continues (I'll even say by the South Florida game), which is completely possible (0-5), Warde and Susan have no choice but to take action. Allowing this to continue after the first 5 games would be a crime and is basically like telling the fan base that they don't care about how this program progresses.

Enough with "Paul knows his expectations for this season..." Clearly he does, but losing to an FCS school in your home opener of a new conference, new logo and uniforms, with little to no "buzz" at all on the program in the off season to speak of, and in a season with so much on the line is inexcusable. Two back-to-back 5-7 campaigns is inexcusable. Not going to even a low-level bowl in two seasons in inexcusable. We're going to not only lose fan interest in this young program, but we'll also lose recruits, and not be a serious school for conference realignment talks.

All we can do now is hope the players and coaches can turn this ship around, and/or that Warde does the thing he should have done at the end of last season and send Paul Pasqualoni off into retirement.

Reaction Score

I concede that you might be right that changes probably won't bring improvement. But it isn't a given. It might bring a little more fire to the next game. Maybe some better in-game decisions. You see it on occasion where a change gets everyone going for some reason. Saw it with UConn Hockey last season. I've seen it with baseball sometimes. It is rare in football but it happens only in the NFL and that is a different kind of deal. I think this is the one true opportunity to make a change and see if this thing can be turned around. based on what I saw last night, this team is poorly coached, games are poorly managed. And I always want to give the coach until the end of the season, but we've seen this movie twice before, and this time it is even more horrific. When we lose to Buffalo it will be too far gone to even hope to salvage anything. UConn-Memphis might be played in front of 10,000. If the weather is bad, it might be played in front of family members and the band.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what's going on or how destructive it would be, but I would promote Weist to HC just to do something else with the OL and QB. And perhaps to give these kids a year of training under anyone else other than GDL.

Reaction Score
Actually with a two-week break today would be (would have been) the perfect time to do it.

Warde could go at least halfway by firing George DeLeone at least (even if our five-sacks-allowed line did a pretty good job) and show us that he's paying attention.

Seriously Sept. 14 would be a great time to have a pre-game 'fan forum' outside the WTIC 'doghouse' before the Maryland game. Some sort of fan gesture has to be made before the next game that getting your butt kicked at home by a team that has 22 scholarships less than you do is not acceptable anytime, anyplace.

Reaction Score
I feel terrible for the young men on this football squad. All of us fans, that yap around here, and sit in the stands, or watch on TV and follow the program, probably often lose sight of just how young these guys are. Maybe not, I don't know about anyone else really, but I do know for myself, that every time I get to see any of these guys without their gear on, I'm always surprised by how young they are. What that means, is that they're all still in the process of learning important life lessons about being adults, and one of those important lessons you learn in football, is how to stay on an even keel. You simply can't be successful if you can't remain focused on the task at hand while you're involved in a bigger picture.

These guys, I'm sure, are all hurting today. Pretty bad I would imagine. They need leadership. Leadership among themselves, and leadership from above. It's a tough, tough situation we're in right now, with the schedule we've got coming up. I don't envy Warde Manuel's job right now. Because sticking with Pasqualoni I think, is just as much a big time decision as moving on a coaching change at this point in time. My bet is that PP is staying, but Manuel has a timetable, and a list to put in action, if that timetable runs up.

I have no inside information, I'm just speculating!!

Reaction Score
Actually with a two-week break today would be (would have been) the perfect time to do it.

Warde could go at least halfway by firing George DeLeone at least (even if our five-sacks-allowed line did a pretty good job) and show us that he's paying attention.

Seriously Sept. 14 would be a great time to have a pre-game 'fan forum' outside the WTIC 'doghouse' before the Maryland game. Some sort of fan gesture has to be made before the next game that getting your butt kicked at home by a team that has 22 scholarships less than you do is not acceptable anytime, anyplace.

We should all wear paper bags over our heads next game

Reaction Score
the one thing that I think people didn't get about pasqualoni is that coaching guys up just isn't in his DNA. Edsall did that, in part because he had to. Foley did that when he was oline coach. Pasqualoni and DeLeone didn't do it at Syracuse and they didn't do it here. When they had good players they won. When they didn't they didn't. There is a big difference between landing a good athlete and coaching him up to a good football player.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
If nothing is done, and losing continues (I'll even say by the South Florida game), which is completely possible (0-5), Warde and Susan have no choice but to take action. Allowing this to continue after the first 5 games would be a crime and is basically like telling the fan base that they don't care about how this program progresses.

Enough with "Paul knows his expectations for this season..." Clearly he does, but losing to an FCS school in your home opener of a new conference, new logo and uniforms, with little to no "buzz" at all on the program in the off season to speak of, and in a season with so much on the line is inexcusable. Two back-to-back 5-7 campaigns is inexcusable. Not going to even a low-level bowl in two seasons in inexcusable. We're going to not only lose fan interest in this young program, but we'll also lose recruits, and not be a serious school for conference realignment talks.

All we can do now is hope the players and coaches can turn this ship around, and/or that Warde does the thing he should have done at the end of last season and send Paul Pasqualoni off into retirement.
Oh don't worry they will be 0-5 and we will still be on the way to bottoming out get ready,but these heads minus Weist will be gone it will take time but we will find our way out of this storm keep the tickets enjoy the time out on a Sat or Fri nite don't lose hope WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!!! and to all the nay Sayers @K U!!!! We are Uconn we will survive!

Reaction Score
I feel terrible for the young men on this football squad. All of us fans, that yap around here, and sit in the stands, or watch on TV and follow the program, probably often lose sight of just how young these guys are. Maybe not, I don't know about anyone else really, but I do know for myself, that every time I get to see any of these guys without their gear on, I'm always surprised by how young they are. What that means, is that they're all still in the process of learning important life lessons about being adults, and one of those important lessons you learn in football, is how to stay on an even keel. You simply can't be successful if you can't remain focused on the task at hand while you're involved in a bigger picture.

These guys, I'm sure, are all hurting today. Pretty bad I would imagine. They need leadership. Leadership among themselves, and leadership from above. It's a tough, tough situation we're in right now, with the schedule we've got coming up. I don't envy Warde Manuel's job right now. Because sticking with Pasqualoni I think, is just as much a big time decision as moving on a coaching change at this point in time. My bet is that PP is staying, but Manuel has a timetable, and a list to put in action, if that timetable runs up.

I have no inside information, I'm just speculating!!
Good point carl. I follow quite a few of them on twitter and a few have stated they r feeling depressed or staying inside today. They need to know the fan base is behind them. We need to look past the coach and support the kids.

Reaction Score
Good point carl. I follow quite a few of them on twitter and a few have stated they r feeling depressed or staying inside today. They need to know the fan base is behind them. We need to look past the coach and support the kids.

They are depressed? Give me a break. They should take a cue from the great Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds: " Reynolds earned his nickname in 1969 by cutting an abandoned 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air in half with ahacksaw after his previously unbeaten University of Tennessee team returned from an embarrassing 38-0 road loss to Ole Miss. "I came back to school and I was very upset," Reynolds said. "I had to do something to relieve my frustration."

It's time to get really pissed guys and take it out on the opponents!!!

Reaction Score
They are depressed? Give me a break. They should take a cue from the great Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds: " Reynolds earned his nickname in 1969 by cutting an abandoned 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air in half with ahacksaw after his previously unbeaten University of Tennessee team returned from an embarrassing 38-0 road loss to Ole Miss. "I came back to school and I was very upset," Reynolds said. "I had to do something to relieve my frustration."

What does DeLeone drive and where is his parking space???

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
G
image.jpg

Mr. Peabody and his WayBack Machine went back 3 years and killed Hathaway. He then peed on the CT coaches assiciation. All is good. We are 1-0 and will be in the B1G next year.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Chumley since I was in short pants, thankyou.

Reaction Score

It's time to get really pissed guys and take it out on the opponents!!!
You mean he didnt whine about the loss on social media. Ok time to take our hacksaw out on Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom