Why Mike Gundy believes 'there’s strength in numbers' for Big 12 as a football league… | The Boneyard

Why Mike Gundy believes 'there’s strength in numbers' for Big 12 as a football league…

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that when brainstorming UConn isn’t mentioned.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s interesting that when brainstorming UConn isn’t mentioned.
Bad for for the Big 12

Reaction Score
No football coach is going to a) make this decision and b) look and say, we need to add UConn.

Boise State being mentioned with a reputation over the years built on football by a football coach as a future addition is certainly not a surprise.

Reaction Score
There is strength in numbers. Aresco used that gameplan to make the AAC the P6. The Big 12 can use numbers to call itself the P5 to the P4.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Aresco used that gameplan to make the AAC the P6
Spock Encerio GIF

Reaction Score
There is strength in numbers. Aresco used that gameplan to make the AAC the P6. The Big 12 can use numbers to call itself the P5 to the P4.
There is strength in numbers as the new Big 12 will not have any traditional powers but it is made up of schools that have had periods of success. None of the schools in the New Big 12 have had a top 20 recruiting class in the last 10 years and the Big 12 media contract could be cut as they lost the 2 most attractive schools and they will have more mouths to feed. In addition, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, and BYU have had success outside the Big 12 and some of them will experience a decline in performance as they enter the Big 12 due to the change in competition. Both TCU and West Virginia had 7 seasons out of 10 in which they finished the season in the Top 25 before they entered the Big 12, but in their 10 years in the Big 12, TCU has had 3 and WVU has had 2.

The AAC was an amalgamation of schools with little in common that were trying to become or stay relevant in FBS football. So is the New Big 12. I hope it works out for the schools, but like the AAC, all of the schools are looking for a way out.

Reaction Score
Most important for the B12 will be receiving an auto-bid for its championship game winner when the playoffs expand. As long as they have that they are a "Power" conference. They will get it unless they are further raided and destroyed like the old Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most important for the B12 will be receiving an auto-bid for its championship game winner when the playoffs expand. As long as they have that they are a "Power" conference. They will get it unless they are further raided and destroyed like the old Big East.

Which is likely. They are basically the new AAC.

Reaction Score

Maybe in the mind of Aresco.

Reaction Score
It will depend on how well the teams perform. In the past 10 years, the New Big 12 (includes the 4 new schools) had 5 years that they did not have a school ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the season (schools were ranked: 12, 12, 11, 12, 11). But, they have had 7 schools that have finished the season in the Top 10. In the 8 years of the CFP, a New Big 12 has earned 1 spot, Cincy in 2021, so the conference doesn't really look like one of the P5.

CFP Playoff spots by future conference:

SEC: 14
ACC: 7
Big 10: 6
Pac 12: 2
Notre Dame: 2
New Big 12: 1

If the playoff doesn't expand to 12 teams, I don't think the New Big 12 will get an auto spot.

Reaction Score
And the college football world. Don't tell me you forgot about the bearcats already.

Who are in the Big 12 real soon. The AAC is no better than the rest of the mid majors now.

Reaction Score
Zaggly. Now you're following.

So there never was a P6. Now there won’t be a P5. Pretty soon they will be elbowed out of the Golden Corral buffet line like adults elbow kids out for the last pancake on Easter Sunday.

Reaction Score
Which is likely. They are basically the new AAC.

Right now the B12 is like the old Big East from 2004 to 2011 with better football. They are certainly set up to be poached but it hasn't happened yet. As long as those schools hang together they will maintain their "Power" status as they are every bit as good performance wise as the PAC 12. Maybe they can agree to an exit fee that is so prohibitive no one will ever leave.

Reaction Score
What do you mean "it hasn't happened yet." The Big 12 has a long history of poached eggs. Its 2 biggest programs are still in the process of slithering away and Kansas is mentioned in every CR discussion. The PAC 12 has geography to protect it. I am not sure even the C-USA transfers consider the Big 12 the destination conference it used to be, never mind the Kansases.

the quality of the teams in that league are still too good for it to lose their Power status, that level of poaching hasn't happened yet. They are where the old Big East was after Miami, Vtech and BC left.

Reaction Score
the quality of the teams in that league are still too good for it to lose their Power status, that level of poaching hasn't happened yet. They are where the old Big East was after Miami, Vtech and BC left.
I did it again, I deleted my post thinking I could edit it.

I guess. It's seems very mediocre to me. I guess we'll have to see how the transfers do in a better conference but having Okie state and Baylor as your flag bearers doesn't exactly scream power, to me.

Reaction Score
Right now the B12 is like the old Big East from 2004 to 2011 with better football. They are certainly set up to be poached but it hasn't happened yet. As long as those schools hang together they will maintain their "Power" status as they are every bit as good performance wise as the PAC 12. Maybe they can agree to an exit fee that is so prohibitive no one will ever leave.

So Texas and Oklahoma don’t count as poaching?

When you’re the conference that nobody wants to stay in then you’re a dead man walking.

Reaction Score
So Texas and Oklahoma don’t count as poaching?

When you’re the conference that nobody wants to stay in then you’re a dead man walking.
Yes that counts as poaching. My point was they haven't been picked apart enough yet to be downgraded to G5 level.

Reaction Score
Yes that counts as poaching. My point was they haven't been picked apart enough yet to be downgraded to G5 level.
They may not need to be. It will likely be the P2 or P3 before it’s all over.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't care what he said but he sounded pretty manly.

Reaction Score
I don't think the B12 is ripe to be poached for the simple fact that there is place for any of those schools to go.

Neither the SEC or B1G have any interest in any of the schools in the new B12 no matter what Kansas supporters try to tell you.

The only chance any of the B12 schools have of getting out is if the SEC & B1G decide to blow up the ACC by targeting schools like UNC, UVA, Clemson, Fla St and Notre Dame. If the numbers being reported for the SEC & B1G are close to real then the ACC GOR won't matter because it will only take a couple years of new earnings to pay off any settlement that is negotiated. If that happens then B12 schools will be on the backfill list for the ACC.

If the SEC & B1G decide to remain where they are, the B12 becomes a stable conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom