Why is South Carolina #1? | The Boneyard

Why is South Carolina #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't get it. SC is/was ranked #1 right now because of a high ranking before the season even began, and then #1 (UCONN) lost, so SC moved up. But that pre-season ranking is just that-based on what people thought of them before the season began. Now that we have seen them struggle to beat Syracuse, and get a gift from Duke, what have they shown, or confirmed about their pre-season ranking? If they had been ranked #5 in pre-season, and then played the games the way they have, I doubt they'd be in the top 3 right now.

/rantoff

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Almost everyone had the opportunity to see all three preteneders on the tube yesterday. Anyone who could watch both games and conclude that SC is the best team in wcbb must just not have eyes to see. (Not that it matters. UConn will be #1 again long before the season is over, and will be the #1 #1 seed for the dance, which is all that counts.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't get it. SC is/was ranked #1 right now because of a high ranking before the season even began, and then #1 (UCONN) lost, so SC moved up. But that pre-season ranking is just that-based on what people thought of them before the season began. Now that we have seen them struggle to beat Syracuse, and get a gift from Duke, what have they shown, or confirmed about their pre-season ranking? If they had been ranked #5 in pre-season, and then played the games the way they have, I doubt they'd be in the top 3 right now.

/rantoff

Is this week's poll out already? I haven't seen it. In a just world, UConn should jump ND. I've been making the same rant for weeks.

Reaction Score
AP Poll - 08 December 2014

1 - South Carolina
2 - Connecticut
3 - Texas
4 - Texas A&M
5 - Notre Dame
6 - North Carolina
7 - Stanford
8 - Kentucky
9 - Baylor
10 - Louisville

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The writers will vote SC #1 because they are still undefeated. And there could be among the writers who vote a "anyone but UCONN" attitude.

The coaches poll had ND #1. SC #2 and UCONN #3. UCONN will leap over ND with our convincing victory on Saturday. Now will that be enough to leap over SC with their last minute squeaker over Duke? Who knows.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why is South Carolina #1. I don't get it.
mmm, pretty simple. They were ranked #1 last week, haven't lost, so no reason they shouldn't be this week. It's not really that difficult to understand.

If they had been ranked #5 in pre-season, and then played the games the way they have, I doubt they'd be in the top 3 right now.
But they weren't. So what could have been doesn't really matter to what is.

If UCONN wanted to be ranked #1, all they had to do was not lose.

Reaction Score
I say this respectfully and recognize you are just giving an opinion -- But I could truly care less.

As others said, it is great for the sport of WCBB. Whether we are 1,2 or 10 is so irrelevant. When we beat them silly at Gampel, all this will work itself out.

In Tiger Woods' heyday, the betting for a major tournament used to be "Tiger vs the field." By the time the FF comes around, the betting will be UConn vs the field.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

/rantoff
Winning matters, it isn't about style points, who looks the best or whom everyone thinks is the best. On-court results are what should matter. SC is undefeated and until someone beats them they are and should remain #1. Where does this culture if equivocation stem from? In sports winning is what matters, first, last and always!! UConn will get the opportunity to prove who is better on Feb. 9th, after that game, they'll be no doubt about who is #1.

Reaction Score
I thought the rankings were to indicate the best teams, relative to each other. Wins and losses are clearly not the only factors, otherwise the other undefeated teams would be ranked higher. Explain why the other undefeated teams are ranked lower than SC, based only on wins and losses. The NCCA football rankings aren't based solely on wins and losses either. There is always the discussion about quality wins and losses.

Reaction Score
Iamcbs nailed it. S.Carolina may have struggled but they WON. We struggled and LOST. A case could be made for Texas being ahead of us ! As has been pointed out these polls are meaningless, it is just a means for ne'er- do - wells like us to have something to do. The only poll that matters is in April.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Winning matters, it isn't about style points, who looks the best or whom everyone thinks is the best. On-court results are what should matter. SC is undefeated and until someone beats them they are and should remain #1. Where does this culture if equivocation stem from? In sports winning is what matters, first, last and always!! UConn will get the opportunity to prove who is better on Feb. 9th, after that game, they'll be no doubt about who is #1.

Pardon me, but that is nonsense. Losing by a few points to a tean like, say, UConn shows MUCH more strength than whopping a team like, say, Lipscomb.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I would like to see them come in as #1, but first they have to get by TAMU and KY, both of which may give them some probems.

Reaction Score
Survive and advance. Think of how close last season's men's team came to losing its first round tournament game against St. Josephs; An Amidah Bromah 3 point play takes it to overtime in a game in which he, the ultimate bricklayer, also went 3-3 from the free throw line.

Reaction Score
Don't jinx UConn, it was Baylor vs. the field two years ago, look what happened to them?
If UConn had beaten Stanford by 1 point, then you could argue whether the 1 point there is worth more than the 1 point from SC vs. Duke. Since UConn lost, there is just no point to argue if UConn should rank higher at this stage.

I say this respectfully and recognize you are just giving an opinion -- But I could truly care less.

As others said, it is great for the sport of WCBB. Whether we are 1,2 or 10 is so irrelevant. When we beat them silly at Gampel, all this will work itself out.

In Tiger Woods' heyday, the betting for a major tournament used to be "Tiger vs the field." By the time the FF comes around, the betting will be UConn vs the field.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I thought the rankings were to indicate the best teams, relative to each other. Wins and losses are clearly not the only factors, otherwise the other undefeated teams would be ranked higher. Explain why the other undefeated teams are ranked lower than SC, based only on wins and losses. The NCCA football rankings aren't based solely on wins and losses either. There is always the discussion about quality wins and losses.
And that discussion is BS as well in CFB, FSU hasn't been beaten in two years, why are they not #1? As someone on this thread stated earlier, polls are all about opinions and opinions don't win games. Yes there are other undefeated teams that should be ranked ahead of teams that lost, Texas and Texas A&M being the best examples. CBB has an advantage over CFB because they actually settle the argument on the court, not in some Hotel Ballroom.

Reaction Score

Agreed, NCH- In collegiate football, the NCAA considers the quality of opponent, RPI, and how the winner "controlled" (or didn't) each game. That's why Florida State, the only undefeated Dl major in the country barely managed to hold onto the number 3 spot in the final national rankings. And though there is room for disagreement, this system would be benefit WBB, too. But I guess since it's 'just' women and it's not a revenue generating monster like football, the effort put into crafting the women's poll is likely minimal.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Winning ugly is better than losing prettily, which is why FSU is still in the hunt for the football title. And why SC is still number one. in WBB And why I have a sigh of relief after the Patriots game last night.

Like others, I don't care a whole lot about the polls this time of year. I care about the final ranking at the end of the NCAA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom