Why is it that DH had the team playing such a slow tempo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is it that DH had the team playing such a slow tempo

Reaction Score
And it was puzzling that later in the season, after Bouk came back, Hurley specifically mentioned a few times that the team needed to play faster. But then I didn't notice any difference. Did anyone else?

There definitely was a difference. Look at the scores near the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Thank you Chin here’s your answer. Just think the majority of transition plays of note were outlets to Bouk or his own rebound/steal coast to coast. If the ball went to Cole or Gaff they rarely made plays and usually pulled it back. It will not change if our guards don’t change their games or DH doesn’t get guard help or freshman don’t immediately step up.
Yeah but that guard ability is a necessity. Without it can the team be very successful? Especially without Bouk.

Reaction Score
There definitely was a difference. Look at the scores near the end of the season.
Maybe that is true. But I'd say Bouknight coming back had a lot to do with that. I'd be curious to see how many offensive possessions the team had in the 9 games after Bouknight came back compared to the games he missed and also look at all the games before those last 9 games.

Does kenpom.com have a pace stat for each game listed anywhere? That might be the easiest way to tell.

Reaction Score
The pace picked up after the second loss to Creighton, but once we got to the post season it seemed to get slower with each game. And as it did, the players seemed to lose confidence, or at least it seemed that way to me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no reason to ever walk the ball up the court no matter what your talent is and no matter what the other team's talent is.

1) The shot clock works as a 6th defender, so don't burn clock not running your offense.
2) It is always easier to score against a defense that is not set. Always. Get the ball up court as fast as possible. If there is an opportunity to score, attack, if not, run your offense.
3) Slowing down the offense facilitates whatever gimmicks (traps, jumping passes, switching defenses) the opposing defense has planned.

The last two reasons are relevant if you are a high level D1 team, or a bunch of middle aged fat guys playing at the YMCA.

Reaction Score
Calhoun thought the slow pace was a mistake and Chief did too. That and having Bigs defend 30 feet away from the hoop are two things I completely fail to understand about Hurley’s coaching philosophy. Maybe a third next year is a desire to play our best offensive post player in years away from the basket to spread the floor for guys to drive who aren’t the best layup conversion guys.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga though they got beat, moved the ball like lightning until one of their many players who could drive did so. Or backdoor cut, or quick kick out for 3. It looked like choreography. We did not have the personel to do so. I don't see us next year operating that way either.

Reaction Score
we all agree baseball needs to speed it up, slow half court is painful

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Calhoun thought the slow pace was a mistake and Chief did too. That and having Bigs defend 30 feet away from the hoop are two things I completely fail to understand about Hurley’s coaching philosophy. Maybe a third next year is a desire to play our best offensive post player in years away from the basket to spread the floor for guys to drive who aren’t the best layup conversion guys.

Agreed. While you may very occasionally play a team with five 3 point shooters on the floor, it will really never be five good shooters. Meanwhile, I dont think you can or need five guys out on D to defend five guys out on offense. The space is so much more limited just outside the arc. Syracuse defends the line fairly effectively with 3 guys.

I prefer to give up a few low percentage 3s and keep a shot blocker in the lane. Penetrating guards will struggle against a real shot blocker. Calhoun did that, funneling guys to his shot blockers. Not surprising since the Celtics did that back to Russell and with the great 80s teams.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Couple of things:

1) we didn't stock the floor with shooters 1-5. So, the offense slows down trying to get open shots to one of the shooters.
2) We rarely ran after rebounding until late in the year.
3) Long gone are the days when we ran after a MADE basket. Under JC, that was one of our staples.

The key to running quick efficient offense is having guys who are busting their butts to run down the court(see Donny Marshall or Kevin Freeman), or in the half court quick cuts and good on time passing combined with good screening. We got called for at least 2 moving screens a game due to kids not knowing how to either use the screen properly or the screener moving.

Focus on the above will speed up the offense.

Reaction Score
Couple of things:

1) we didn't stock the floor with shooters 1-5. So, the offense slows down trying to get open shots to one of the shooters.
2) We rarely ran after rebounding until late in the year.
3) Long gone are the days when we ran after a MADE basket. Under JC, that was one of our staples.

The key to running quick efficient offense is having guys who are busting their butts to run down the court(see Donny Marshall or Kevin Freeman), or in the half court quick cuts and good on time passing combined with good screening. We got called for at least 2 moving screens a game due to kids not knowing how to either use the screen properly or the screener moving.

Focus on the above will speed up the offense.
All very good points, couldn’t agree more. Running is an opportunist mindset more than anything else - it’s a shame we did not fully capitalize on our defense and rebounding by pushing the ball up the court after missed shots. And you are correct, we should test the opponents defense after made shots too.

Reaction Score
All very good points, couldn’t agree more. Running is an opportunist mindset more than anything else - it’s a shame we did not fully capitalize on our defense and rebounding by pushing the ball up the court after missed shots. And you are correct, we should test the opponents defense after made shots too.
We. Need. A.Quick.Guard.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley's defensive style and recruiting don't match his offense. I posted it once, but he's only been top 100 in tempo once as a coach. He averages over 200th.

Which is FINE. We can be that kind of team that plays slow. But that also means we need to change our defense and recruiting. Go to packline and recruit more skill and shooting with less athletes with less skill on the team. Pressure defense means fast transition basketball, or else what was the point of the high intensity, high risk defense?

Or... we stick with the uptempo pressure defense and accept that high tempo teams that run on offense will make mistakes and turn it over more. But the payoff with easy buckets is worth it. Hurley hasn't been willing to evaluate that risk/reward very well yet for whatever reason.

I do think we should continue to recruit elite offensive rebounders no matter what. Add a few shooters around that and you have a decent+ offense.

We also have the depth to exploit that racehorse style. Run the opponent out of the gym in the last ten minutes of the game. Next year we have some more talented incoming freshman guards. Love to see them and the others in up tempo.

Reaction Score
Hurley's defensive style and recruiting don't match his offense. I posted it once, but he's only been top 100 in tempo once as a coach. He averages over 200th.

Which is FINE. We can be that kind of team that plays slow. But that also means we need to change our defense and recruiting. Go to packline and recruit more skill and shooting with less athletes with less skill on the team. Pressure defense means fast transition basketball, or else what was the point of the high intensity, high risk defense?

Or... we stick with the uptempo pressure defense and accept that high tempo teams that run on offense will make mistakes and turn it over more. But the payoff with easy buckets is worth it. Hurley hasn't been willing to evaluate that risk/reward very well yet for whatever reason.

I do think we should continue to recruit elite offensive rebounders no matter what. Add a few shooters around that and you have a decent+ offense.
Put me in the group that doesn’t want to play slow. When coaches play slow it’s often not so much about basketball strategy as it is about control and trust. This is more about a developmental opportunity for Dan than anything else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom