Why is Geno the GOAT? | The Boneyard

Why is Geno the GOAT?

Reaction Score
So the question is very simple? We all know that he is the GOAT but what are the reasons? Is it because he has won 11 NCAA titles or did he win those titles because he is great? Or because he got great players? There is some truth in all of that. We've all seen his incredible strategic moves as a coach. We all remember the isolation to Diana with a minute to go in the NC game against Oklahoma that scored the basket and fouled out Stacey Dale. On a smaller stage, how about the last game against St. John's? Move Aubrey to cover Everett and Katie bar the door. It wasn't until I read Geno's recent comments reported here under different threads that I came to my own conclusion about him.

After the NC State game last year, Geno talked about the pressure he felt to win and get to the Final Four. It wasn't peer or media pressure it was internal pressure. There is an implicit promise to the kids that come here, he implied, that go through boot camp like practices with him, that give up their egos, that act and become UCONN kids, Geno's kids, that he will get them to the Promised Land of the Final Four. That was by his own admission the pressure he felt. His obligation to his recruits. I was floored. It is such a testament to humility with the complete absence of arrogance.

Reading his recent comments, he feels responsible for every errant pass, every missed assignment, every error because he feels as though he didn't teach it correctly.That's why his practices are so Lombardiesque. Are you kidding me? What an amazing point of view. I coached youth in different leagues including recreation, CYO, travel and AAU, both boys and girls and also high school girls AAU. Not once did I internalize and then externalize like that- if it didn't work or their was a turnover, or a missed box out, it's because I didn't teach it correctly. I didn't do my job.

He is a pure perfectionist and a true disciple of John Wooden. He is trying to distance himself from that burden lately but perhaps that was why Wooden just sat on the bench with his program rolled up. He knew that they all got it and it was just a matter of the conductor watching the orchestra play the symphony themselves.

Basketball, and especially womens basketball, is very lucky to have Geno. I hope he finds that new middle. Either way, I feel really good about this coming April.

Reaction Score
So the question is very simple? We all know that he is the GOAT but what are the reasons? Is it because he has won 11 NCAA titles or did he win those titles because he is great? Or because he got great players? There is some truth in all of that. We've all seen his incredible strategic moves as a coach. We all remember the isolation to Diana with a minute to go in the NC game against Oklahoma that scored the basket and fouled out Stacey Dale. On a smaller stage, how about the last game against St. John's? Move Aubrey to cover Everett and Katie bar the door. It wasn't until I read Geno's recent comments reported here under different threads that I came to my own conclusion about him.

After the NC State game last year, Geno talked about the pressure he felt to win and get to the Final Four. It wasn't peer or media pressure it was internal pressure. There is an implicit promise to the kids that come here, he implied, that go through boot camp like practices with him, that give up their egos, that act and become UCONN kids, Geno's kids, that he will get them to the Promised Land of the Final Four. That was by his own admission the pressure he felt. His obligation to his recruits. I was floored. It is such a testament to humility with the complete absence of arrogance.

Reading his recent comments, he feels responsible for every errant pass, every missed assignment, every error because he feels as though he didn't teach it correctly.That's why his practices are so Lombardiesque. Are you kidding me? What an amazing point of view. I coached youth in different leagues including recreation, CYO, travel and AAU, both boys and girls and also high school girls AAU. Not once did I internalize and then externalize like that- if it didn't work or their was a turnover, or a missed box out, it's because I didn't teach it correctly. I didn't do my job.

He is a pure perfectionist and a true disciple of John Wooden. He is trying to distance himself from that burden lately but perhaps that was why Wooden just sat on the bench with his program rolled up. He knew that they all got it and it was just a matter of the conductor watching the orchestra play the symphony themselves.

Basketball, and especially womens basketball, is very lucky to have Geno. I hope he finds that new middle. Either way, I feel really good about this coming April.
The answer is quite simple, he is without question the greatest coach ever in the history of women’s basketball and anyone not pro UConn, hates him for that because it’s a women’s game and he is a man. Making the great Pat Summitt look like a clown in recruiting battles and head to head matchups didn’t help, or calling Tennessee “the Evil Empire”, not to mention the coldness that exists towards Geno from other great women’s coaches. There was even talk several years back of one or two NBA teams interested in Geno as their HC.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to your post (great post, BTW) was Geno's greatness stems from his ability to communicate. I quickly disabused myself of that notion when I considered what good are clear explanations and clever phrases when the message is crappy. So what message, combined with the clarity and wit he brings, sets Geno apart? Here are three aspects.
  • Hard work is its own reward. You'll never find as much pride in that which came easy as you will in completing a challenge, even when the effortless accomplishment is, arguably, of greater value. JFK: We choose to go to the moon not because we think it will be easy but because we think it will be hard.
  • After you've honed your skills to the greatest extent possible, after you've become the best basketball player you're capable of being, the only place to improve is as a better teammate, even if that means sublimating individual achievements for the good of the group. Greatness in team endeavor happens if and only if the sum exceeds the parts. Nika expressed it this way: When you make a basket, you've made one person happy; when you get an assist, you've made two people happy. That was so well stated that even the great communicator himself took to quoting it.
  • A key component of greatness is repeatability. Doing something worthy is laudable but not GOAT-worthy. Doing something laudable over extended periods is what identifies a GOAT. Getting something right is worthy. GOATs can't get it wrong. There has been some recent talk about whether UConn's best days are behind them. The answer is not yet. How do I know? One statistic. At least until the Huskies again lose two games in a row, they will remain top dog.

Reaction Score
GENO is up there with all the other Geniuses of there professions. Fermi,Edison.Tesla,Michael Angelo and others. UCONN was truly blessed when he came to their campus and took the job of coach and made UCONN a sports dynasty in Women's BB. His name is forever carved in the heart of Women's basketball. God bless GENO! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
For me, what makes Geno the GOAT is his ability to read the room. He has that ability to see what type of players he has around him and adapt his offensive and defensive system around that talent.

Reaction Score
GENO is up there with all the other Geniuses of there professions. Fermi,Edison.Tesla,Michael Angelo and others. UCONN was truly blessed when he came to their campus and took the job of coach and made UCONN a sports dynasty in Women's BB. His name is forever carved in the heart of Women's basketball. God bless GENO! GO HUSKIES!!!
What’s funny about Geno is when he first came to Storrs is he accepted the job offer from John Toner over a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

Reaction Score
We seem to have one of these threads active every year. I’m pretty sure it’s been answered, but I guess not. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom