Why I'm a fan of UConn men's basketball | The Boneyard

Why I'm a fan of UConn men's basketball

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Greetings everyone. Though I've been checking posts on The Boneyard for some time, I've been a supporter of UConn men's basketball for 30 years now. In fact, I can remember as a teenager going to see the Huskies take on the Pearl Washington-led Syracuse Orange at the Hartford Civic Center.

There are a few reasons why I am a fan of UConn men's basketball and I thought I'd share them in hopes others might to do the same thing. One reason is that as a Connecticut resident, rooting for the Huskies allows me to express some pride for my home state. With that, I also find great meaning in the learning and character development that is forged out of discipline, dedication, loyalty and perseverance. And I did say character development, although player development is part of it as well. Sure, I want to see the Huskies win and continue be recognized as one of the nation's premier basketball programs, but I am not satisfied with winning for the just the sake of winning. I've always liked the quote from legendary sportswriter Grantland Rice who said, "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." Yes, I believe in playing to win and in giving nothing less than 100%, but character counts. Long after games are played, things like teamwork, respect and camaraderie will continue to matter and have an impact on the lives of former athletes and the lives of those around them. The opportunity to deal with and respond to adversity is also exemplified on the basketball court. And it's an opportunity that can pay lifelong dividends. (Incidentally, the lack of experiencing/witnessing "the pain of defeat" is a primary reason why I'm NOT a fan of UConn women's basketball.)

I remember reading a post here a couple of weeks ago where UConn men's basketball was compared to Kentucky. And I wish I could remember who said it, but there was an insightful comment to the effect that UConn's success is the product of the development of student athletes whereas UK's comes about by attracting the very best blue chip recruits, most of whom play only a single season before running off to the NBA. (And though I'm no fan of John Calipari, you have to give him credit for assembling powerhouse teams with lineups that change significantly from season to season.) I don't know about you, but despite Kentucky's success, I don't think I could ever root for a program like that. I find much greater appeal in the way UConn's program has been built and continues to operate. So, in conclusion, despite the off years and setbacks, my support for UConn basketball remains strong and I have no doubt that with Kevin Ollie at the helm, they will once again achieve excellence on the court. (I should also mention that I am proud of the program's improved level of academic achievement!) But regardless, I support student athletes like Amida Brimah, Rodney Purvis and Kentan Facey and my hope is that whether they play basketball professionally or not, they become good, productive citizens who make a positive impact wherever they go. And that's true Husky pride.

Last edited:

SwingDog

Reaction Score
I'm think our recent sub-par seasons are going to make future success taste great, we may never take success for granted again
Good point. I do think we have taken our success for granted which, in some cases, has led to an attitude of entitlement. That's where I see the value of losing and remembering what it feels like, what it tastes like. I think if you don't go through the dark valleys you can't really appreciate how blessed you are when reaching the summits. I'm believing this season will provide a great teaching and life experience opportunity for KO and his staff and players. There is something to be said about experiencing "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

Reaction Score
you have succeeded in putting on paper why I love the game of basketball - character development. Helping mold young kids into successful men and women who can thrive in the outside world, not just the basketball court. UConn has shown that it cares about its players. Remember the story of Stanley Robinson? His situation exemplifies the exact type of team you allude to, one you can root for.

Time Off for Reality Check Energized UConn’s Robinson

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm think our recent sub-par seasons are going to make future success taste great, we may never take success for granted again
Probably why I'm less excitable about recent events than some other posters. I started out rooting for teams that couldn't win it all and many not coming even close. I was 35 before one of mine won it all. I already have that humility and gratefulness programmed into me.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Greetings everyone. Though I've been checking posts on The Boneyard for some time, I've been a supporter of UConn men's basketball for 30 years now. In fact, I can remember as a teenager going to see the Huskies take on the Pearl Washington-led Syracuse Orange at the Hartford Civic Center.

There are a few reasons why I am a fan of UConn men's basketball and I thought I'd share them in hopes others might to do the same thing. One reason is that as a Connecticut resident, rooting for the Huskies allows me to express some pride for my home state. With that, I also find great meaning in the learning and character development that is forged out of discipline, dedication, loyalty and perseverance. And I did say character development, although player development is part of it as well. Sure, I want to see the Huskies win and continue be recognized as one of the nation's premier basketball programs, but I am not satisfied with winning for the just the sake of winning. I've always liked the quote from legendary sportswriter Grantland Rice who said, "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." Yes, I believe in playing to win and in giving nothing less than 100%, but character counts. Long after games are played, things like teamwork, respect and camaraderie will continue to matter and have an impact on the lives of former athletes and the lives of those around them. The opportunity to deal with and respond to adversity is also exemplified on the basketball court. And it's an opportunity that can pay lifelong dividends. (Incidentally, the lack of experiencing/witnessing "the pain of defeat" is a primary reason why I'm NOT a fan of UConn women's basketball.)

I remember reading a post here a couple of weeks ago where UConn men's basketball was compared to Kentucky. And I wish I could remember who said it, but there was an insightful comment to the effect that UConn's success is the product of the development of student athletes whereas UK's comes about by attracting the very best blue chip recruits, most of whom play only a single season before running off to the NBA. (And though I'm no fan of John Calipari, you have to give him credit for assembling powerhouse teams with lineups that change significantly from season to season.) I don't know about you, but despite Kentucky's success, I don't think I could ever root for a program like that. I find much greater appeal in the way UConn's program has been built and continues to operate. So, in conclusion, despite the off years and setbacks, my support for UConn basketball remains strong and I have no doubt that with Kevin Ollie at the helm, they will once again achieve excellence on the court. (I should also mention that I am proud of the program's improved level of academic achievement!) But regardless, I support student athletes like Amida Brimah, Rodney Purvis and Kentan Facey and my hope is that whether they play basketball professionally or not, they become good, productive citizens who make a positive impact wherever they go. And that's true Husky pride.

Nice post. It expresses a lot of what I have felt since the late Perno days. I'm not sure I can follow that with a nice write-up of why I'm a UConn fan, but I'll fall back to the three words that I've typed on the Boneyard more times than I can count in order to express how I feel:

Pride. Heart. UConn.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Another thing I try to keep in mind is that these players are young guys, "kids" even as Jim Calhoun so often used to say. As fans we have an expectation that they live up to scouting reports and such and when they don't it get nasty at times, which is unfortunate. Sure, I absolutely want each of them to reach their potential and am disappointed when they underachieve but I think it's good to remember these guys are young. I don't think they should be subjected to the same scrutiny as professional athletes or be called bums and so forth.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Here's where I revoked my LIKE:

I'm no fan of John Calipari, you have to give him credit

Reaction Score
Good point. I do think we have taken our success for granted which, in some cases, has led to an attitude of entitlement. That's where I see the value of losing and remembering what it feels like, what it tastes like. I think if you don't go through the dark valleys you can't really appreciate how blessed you are when reaching the summits. I'm believing this season will provide a great teaching and life experience opportunity for KO and his staff and players. There is something to be said about experiencing "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

Remember how huge #4 was considering we were thought to be a dying program? No more JC, no more Big East, recruiting scandal and the APR tourney ban. To pull it out after all those impediments put it up there with #1. No, we were not going away. Ask Cuse fans about that one. (And yes, we are still here.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom