Why I like UConn's draw in the bracket | The Boneyard

Why I like UConn's draw in the bracket

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When the WBB brackets were announced, there was a good deal of perhaps justifiable anxiety that UConn, as the #1 overall seed, had been dealt a really difficult draw on the way towards a possible 12th national championship. While there have been some upsets and key injuries in the tournament, UConn’s path to the finals still looks like UAlbany, the Cuse, UCLA, MD, Baylor & maybe ND or SC? After watching the Huskies dismantle the Orange last night, I am of the opinion that UConn’s draw of ever more difficult teams may be the best possible scenario to secure the 12th banner at Gampel.

Looking back at last year’s team, it really didn’t matter who they played, where they played or even if they played their best game. They were going to win and nothing was going to change the eventual outcome. This season, for all the reasons discussed extensively on the BY and elsewhere, this team has some real vulnerabilities.

What is truly remarkable about this year’s Husky team, is the way they embrace a challenge. Yes, the Huskies might just limp by Tulane, but you put them up against Baylor, TX, MD, ND, SC or the Orange’s pressing, 3-pt shooting frenzied attack, and on every single occasion, UConn has risen to the challenge. The concept of building up to a supreme challenge by facing progressively greater challenges is the essence of the NCAA tournament.

While the other side of the bracket does not look quite as formidable with key injuries at ND and SC, Baylor looms as the giant literally and figuratively standing in the way of the Huskies. Assuming that Baylor and UConn meet again in the national semifinals, what’s the best way to prepare to play a team that has great size and depth, is now healthy and is firing on all cylinders? I would argue that after opening against a solid UAlbany team, UConn may play a string of three teams (Cuse, UCLA, MD) where you have to defend all over the court against multiple scorers and work hard on offense to get good shots on every possession. Nothing will better prepare the Huskies to take on Baylor on their home turf in Dallas.

If the Huskies get to that point, it will be an epic matchup, and if they get by Baylor, there will certainly be another formidable opponent waiting in the finals. But there is something magical about this team that never seems to face a challenge they cannot overcome. I quoted a line early in the season, and it bears repeating, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
oldude - like what you say.

I think there is a feeling/ belief by this team that they are going to win, regardless of the opponent. There does not seem to be any fear. They believe that when basket is needed, someone will get it. If a rebound is needed, someone will get it. If a defensive stop is needed, they will get it. They believe in each other.

Last night's game proved again that on any given night/ day, anyone of the starters can and will rise up and burn you. I don't think the Cuse had any thought that Kia would drop 3's upon them. And the Cuse made no move or adjustment to stop Kia.

UConn is also long and athletic. Anyone of the starters can bring the ball up court as we saw last night. Anyone of the starters can effectively pass the ball. They run floor so well. There is no team that can match their athleticism. Consequently, they are very difficult to defend.

Not saying all games are going to be blowouts but I do believe we will prevail and win #12.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really nice OP and I would add that the NCAAs are almost always challenging and if you cannot reach the FF, then you didn't deserve an NC. And if you lose in the semis, then you deserve an NC either. No team that we have ever faced in the E8 game as a one seed should have been a one seed in the tournament, and so not winning that game just shows you were not good enough.
It isn't supposed to be easy even the years Uconn has made it look that way.

Reaction Score
When the WBB brackets were announced, there was a good deal of perhaps justifiable anxiety that UConn, as the #1 overall seed, had been dealt a really difficult draw on the way towards a possible 12th national championship. While there have been some upsets and key injuries in the tournament, UConn’s path to the finals still looks like UAlbany, the Cuse, UCLA, MD, Baylor & maybe ND or SC? After watching the Huskies dismantle the Orange last night, I am of the opinion that UConn’s draw of ever more difficult teams may be the best possible scenario to secure the 12th banner at Gampel.

Looking back at last year’s team, it really didn’t matter who they played, where they played or even if they played their best game. They were going to win and nothing was going to change the eventual outcome. This season, for all the reasons discussed extensively on the BY and elsewhere, this team has some real vulnerabilities.

What is truly remarkable about this year’s Husky team, is the way they embrace a challenge. Yes, the Huskies might just limp by Tulane, but you put them up against Baylor, TX, MD, ND, SC or the Orange’s pressing, 3-pt shooting frenzied attack, and on every single occasion, UConn has risen to the challenge. The concept of building up to a supreme challenge by facing progressively greater challenges is the essence of the NCAA tournament.

While the other side of the bracket does not look quite as formidable with key injuries at ND and SC, Baylor looms as the giant literally and figuratively standing in the way of the Huskies. Assuming that Baylor and UConn meet again in the national semifinals, what’s the best way to prepare to play a team that has great size and depth, is now healthy and is firing on all cylinders? I would argue that after opening against a solid UAlbany team, UConn may play a string of three teams (Cuse, UCLA, MD) where you have to defend all over the court against multiple scorers and work hard on offense to get good shots on every possession. Nothing will better prepare the Huskies to take on Baylor on their home turf in Dallas.

If the Huskies get to that point, it will be an epic matchup, and if they get by Baylor, there will certainly be another formidable opponent waiting in the finals. But there is something magical about this team that never seems to face a challenge they cannot overcome. I quoted a line early in the season, and it bears repeating, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”
From one old dude to another: I like the way you think!

As you say, the players on our favorite team seem to embrace a challenge, the bigger the better. The magic carpet ride to which all of us UConn fans are being treated in this era, viewed as a scourge and bad for the game by some, leaves those of us on the positive side of the equation with zero room for whining. Folks seem to suggest that UConn and its fans should be chilled at the prospect of certain looming obstacles in its path to #12. And what was it that Brenda Frese was quoted as saying elsewhere on our forum? Potential opponents to her Terps in the tourney should be deeply concerned at the prospect of playing her team (or was she just referring to the Huskies)? Uh-huh. In preparation for playing UConn any upcoming opponent (and I ardently hope MD is one of them) will undoubtedly review the tape of last night's game as part of that effort. Hmmm...hope that gives 'em comfort. Who should be fearing whom? I think I know!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
MD is an interesting case. I thought they would have a relatively tough road to a rematch with UConn, but after watching some of the WV game, I can only conclude that WV got hot in the Big12 tournament and then reverted to the lackluster form that characterized their season.

I thought a strong Duke team would be waiting for the Turtles in the Sweet 16, but the loss of Lambert clearly hurt them against an improved OR team. The Ducks might surprise the Turtles, but I doubt it.

So in the end MD may have a much easier path to the Elite 8 than UConn, and by the logic of my thread, advantage = UConn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
MD is an interesting case. I thought they would have a relatively tough road to a rematch with UConn, but after watching some of the WV game, I can only conclude that WV got hot in the Big12 tournament and then reverted to the lackluster form that characterized their season.

I thought a strong Duke team would be waiting for the Turtles in the Sweet 16, but the loss of Lambert clearly hurt them against an improved OR team. The Ducks might surprise the Turtles, but I doubt it.

So in the end MD may have a much easier path to the Elite 8 than UConn, and by the logic of my thread, advantage = UConn.
If I may offer my counterpoint to you to hear your rebuttal:

Actually, I think Oregon offers the better challenge to MD than Duke did. Ionescu vs. Slocom, Hebard vs. Jones, Bando/Cazorla vs. SWK. Oregon moves the ball around quite a bit with 20 assists last night that will be a nice comparison for us. Thoughts?

Reaction Score

Baylor is leaving a message by winning its games in route fashion. They got their star player back from an injury that had her sitting out games since February. They are the formidable opponent.

Reaction Score

Actually, I think Oregon offers the better challenge to MD than Duke did. Ionescu vs. Slocom, Hebard vs. Jones, Bando/Cazorla vs. SWK. Oregon moves the ball around quite a bit with 20 assists last night that will be a nice comparison for us. Thoughts?
I think you are correct. Ionescu was the best player in the country last year, right? And she is " showing us why." Oregon is athletic, fast and talented. Furthermore, most eastern based teams have never played them. So there is a learning curve. In the other bracket, The win by West Virginia in the Big 12 tournament was done with Baylor's best player still recovering from her bone bruise. Since her return, Baylor has been " lights out." Nonetheless, I think Maryland vs. Oregon will be fascinating. By rights, Maryland should win...more experience at this level. But Oregon is an upstart with talent.

Reaction Score
Do they not re-seed the teams that make the final four?

In other words, assuming that UConn and Baylor both make it through, lets say that that injuries take their toll on Notre Dame and South Carolina such that the other two teams that make it are say Stanford and Oregon State.

Under that scenario, both UConn and Baylor would be heavily favored over either of the other two. Are they re-seeded at that point so that UConn and Baylor do not have to play in the semi-final?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

You make a very valid point. The one question I would have is whether the Ducks can contain Brionna Jones in the low post. If Jones has one of her 12 for 15 games shooting layups and getting fouled to boot, I don't see Oregon winning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

In other words, assuming that UConn and Baylor both make it through, lets say that that injuries take their toll on Notre Dame and South Carolina such that the other two teams that make it are say Stanford and Oregon State.

Under that scenario, both UConn and Baylor would be heavily favored over either of the other two. Are they re-seeded at that point so that UConn and Baylor do not have to play in the semi-final?
The NCAA tournament does not re-seed teams.

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament does not re-seed teams.

Didn't think so, but it's something I've been wondering for a while, so thanks. I think we have a better chance of beating them in the semi-final anyway, while we're fresh after a week of light practice and heavy scouting. This game and Maryland should be absolute thrillers, should we make it past UCLA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Nope - no reseeding, the Semi-final game has often felt like the final given the upsets in earlier rounds. But sometimes a team like Tx A&M surprises!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It would be kind of crazy if somehow Louisville and UConn played for the title again.
I would love to see that matchup, but the couple of times that I've watched Louisville this season, they can really struggle at times to execute their offense. I think it would be an enormous upset for Louisville to beat Baylor.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I agree. Duke was a good match-up for the Ducks and I think Maryland is as well--relatively speaking, anyway. Oregon tends to have the most trouble with really quick and disruptive guards (Canada at UCLA) and posts that are really athletic (Anigwe at Cal) and can jump like pogo ticks (Billings at UCLA; Gabby would likely foul out the entire team); as far as I can tell, Maryland doesn't have players quite like that on the roster. And, although Oregon's posts may not be strong/experienced enough to deal effectively with Jones, I think they have a shot (all of them are taller, I think, than Jones, and Hebard, at least, is more athletic). There are a lot of them and McGwire, who is a very good shooter from the high post area, may present some problems for Jones defensively. I don't know Maryland well enough to know if they have some good wings with size and athleticism, but, if so, that will be a challenge for Oregon. SWK perhaps not so much, since Oregon has dealt with some very good guards in the Pac12, with Ionescu and Slocum maybe a wash, although I suspect Ionescu's overall impact on the game will be greater. And Oregon does share the ball very well. (I think they average about 18 assists/game.) On the other hand, there are times when they seem to be a turnover waiting to happen. Finally, I read somewhere that Graves has more NCAA Tournament wins as a double digit seed than any other active coach. Most of them obviously at Gonzaga, but he's had a good start at UO this year. So I'd like to think there's hope.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes, yes. 1,000% with you on this!
Plus, it gives TV fans a chance to see the best of UCONN each game.
Without doubt, both a stroke of genius by the NCAA, and a stroke of luck for us.

Reaction Score
Just hope you're right. Love your optimism !!!
1. It is easy to find the devil in every corner 2. it costs nothing to have a bright outlook for the team you love.
Accept they are great---this team has beaten all the odd in ever top 20 team they have played all year--so we give them
the benefit of any doubts. That's the mark of a Uconn Fan. Oldude is among the TOP FANs...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom