Why Gabby Williams may not play in WNBA this season: The Core Provision | The Boneyard

Why Gabby Williams may not play in WNBA this season: The Core Provision

Reaction Score
A good and thorough article on Gabby's dilemma if she is inclined to help a team with a rest-of-season contract.

As discussed and speculated upon re: which team Gabby Williams would join for the rest of the WNBA season, the Core Provision in the CBA complicates her decision and she may opt to sit it out before joining Fenerbahce for their upcoming season. If a team agrees not to Core her, she may play.

...as originally reported by Rachel Galligan on X and confirmed by The Athletic, Williams is considering whether to return to the WNBA this season because of how that decision would impact her options in 2025. If Williams simply elects to eschew the WNBA in 2024 (she already has a contract to play for Turkish powerhouse Fenerbahçe for 2024-25), she will once again be an unrestricted free agent in the 2025 offseason and have full control over where she plays in the league next year. However, if she signs for the rest of the season, that team would have the opportunity to core Williams and thus retain her exclusive negotiating rights for 2025.

WNBA teams have the opportunity to designate a free agent as a core player during the offseason. The player can subsequently only negotiate with said team as a free agent and is guaranteed a one-year, supermax contract unless the two parties agree on a deal with different terms or a trade.

The purpose of the core provision was to give teams the ability to protect their investment in a player. After drafting, developing and investing in a player, the core gives franchises another mechanism to keep top talent in their organizations. However, it also by definition reduces player freedom, which has inadvertently been the story of Williams’ WNBA career.

Williams’ case challenges the theory of the core provision. She isn’t a franchise player. If she returns to the WNBA, it will be to a team that didn’t draft her and hasn’t given her any marketing money because she’s always overseas during the offseason. A team’s only investment in her would be the $20,000 or so it will pay her for about a dozen regular-season games to close out the season. And for that limited stretch, a team would be able to control where she plays in 2025.
Williams could stay in France and bask in the glory of her silver medal for a month before reporting to Turkey. Instead, the decision to help a team chase a WNBA title could handcuff her, once again putting her WNBA career in the hands of an outside actor. The professional experience should be prioritizing players, not forcing them to rely on the promises and goodwill of organizations. The reason Williams isn’t playing in the WNBA is because she is trying to control her career, and the league’s CBA is trying to control her.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you’re a team in the W with a real opportunity to win it all this season, and 1 player might just put you over the top, why wouldn’t you consider adding Gabby to your roster for the stretch run and playoffs, agreeing to a “non-core” designation.

I could see a number of teams doing just that. One in particular would be the NY Liberty, who look like the class of the East, but could certainly use an upgrade in athleticism if they run into the Aces again in the championship series.

Reaction Score
If you’re a team in the W with a real opportunity to win it all this season, and 1 player might just put you over the top, why wouldn’t you consider adding Gabby to your roster for the stretch run and playoffs, agreeing to a “non-core” designation.

I could see a number of teams doing just that. One in particular would be the NY Liberty, who look like the class of the East, but could certainly use an upgrade in athleticism if they run into the Aces again in the championship series.

You likely are more knowledgeable than me on this, as I am not certain of the WNBA late season rules and regulations for the teams. I was of the understanding that the same rules apply now as they were back in preseason when teams were required to pare down their rosters, so, 1) clubs are all bound by the total team salary cap, 2) clubs must have a minimum of 11 players, and a maximum of 12 players, and 3) every club is more or less at that total team salary cap right now.

In addition to all of the potential for voiding her free agency status for next season with the 'core' thing, it seems that there are probably other complications in that a player on an existing roster would need to go away in order to add a new player. And that new player would more or less have to accept the same salary that the departing player was signed for. There is something that they call a 'hardship' and I believe it allows a club to add a player to substitute for an injured player. So, in this situation the club would not have to cut a player in order to open a roster spot, but who knows when or which team an injury like that may occur?

I agree with you that the NY Liberty would be great for Gabby, if she could just get onto that club somehow. Recall that Marine Johannes who is Gabby's French National teammate, as well as a Lyon ASVEL teammate, is contractually tied to the NY Liberty. But I don't see them both being Liberty teammates this season ... doing so, the Liberty would have to vacate two existing roster positions!

Reaction Score
You likely are more knowledgeable than me on this, as I am not certain of the WNBA late season rules and regulations for the teams. I was of the understanding that the same rules apply now as they were back in preseason when teams were required to pare down their rosters, so, 1) clubs are all bound by the total team salary cap, 2) clubs must have a minimum of 11 players, and a maximum of 12 players, and 3) every club is more or less at that total team salary cap right now.

In addition to all of the potential for voiding her free agency status for next season with the 'core' thing, it seems that there are probably other complications in that a player on an existing roster would need to go away in order to add a new player. And that new player would more or less have to accept the same salary that the departing player was signed for. There is something that they call a 'hardship' and I believe it allows a club to add a player to substitute for an injured player. So, in this situation the club would not have to cut a player in order to open a roster spot, but who knows when or which team an injury like that may occur?

I agree with you that the NY Liberty would be great for Gabby, if she could just get onto that club somehow. Recall that Marine Johannes who is Gabby's French National teammate, as well as a Lyon ASVEL teammate, is contractually tied to the NY Liberty. But I don't see them both being Liberty teammates this season ... doing so, the Liberty would have to vacate two existing roster positions!
Actually Gabby would bring more to the Liberty them Johannes. Gabby brings the ability to have everyone switch on defense which the Liberty like to do.
Johannes isn't a great defender, and is too much like Sabrina on offense, and that failed last year.
I don't think the Liberty want to run that back again.

Reaction Score
I don't quite get the "core" thing for Gabby. I understand the technical issue regarding free agency, but most teams wouldn't want to "core" her anyway. If she goes ring chasing, h role on a bad teamer role on a contender might be significant, but not one of the best couple of players on the team. Those are the ones likely to be cored.

If she wants an assured starter role on a lessor team, maybe being cored is more of a threat, but I suspect for the prorated salary she could get, I doubt if that would interest her. Seems like go with a top contender if there is a good fit, or sit it out. besides she could probably get those teams to agree not to core her anyway

Reaction Score

Or how about playing with Pheesa and the Lynx where I think Gabby could fit right in?

Reaction Score
Or how about playing with Pheesa and the Lynx where I think Gabby could fit right in?
Looks like she made to me a mistake going back to Seattle, a bad coach, and 2 guards who dominate the ball.

Reaction Score
I was hoping she would join the Liberty because I expect the Aces will somehow pull it together as the playoffs progress.

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen blog: Seattle had $24,195 in cap space left. Yesterday, the pro-rated vet minimum to sign someone was $24,249; today it's $23,491. Hence why this is happening exactly now. By coincidence, also trade deadline day.

I am not quite sure what all that means. The WNBA is a chore to try to figure out!

Reaction Score
Seattle had been continually keeping in touch and she liked her experience there and the way they treated her. I guess after being blown out by Indiana they sent out the SOS.

Reaction Score
Ms Gaboulous - on the move again. :D
Gabby France 2024.jpeg

Reaction Score

Wow! That does surprise me! Of course we don’t know what went on behind the scenes but, assuming the teams all agreed not to Core her, I ould have thought her best three choices would have been NY, Minn, and Indiana! Obviously, the first two would be to win a championship and Indy would have been to see if playing with Clark and Boston would result in enough of an improvement to enable them to legitimately compete for a championship over the next few years.

Let’s face it, in spite of all the hate and jealousy directed toward Clark, that team (Indiana) is in prime position to become a dominant team over the next few years! They have the best threesome (if they can somehow talk Mitchell into buying in) with potential in the entire league! They are very good players, young, have now learned how to play together and, in Clark, have a player who will maximize their already considerable skills!
Seattle, on the other hand, is going nowhere fast! They are old, and their core three players are already on the downhill slide. Maybe she likes the city! Anyway, I’m pulling for her! All the best to Gabby Williams! She will always be one of my favorites!

Reaction Score
Wow! That does surprise me! Of course we don’t know what went on behind the scenes but, assuming the teams all agreed not to Core her, I ould have thought her best three choices would have been NY, Minn, and Indiana! Obviously, the first two would be to win a championship and Indy would have been to see if playing with Clark and Boston would result in enough of an improvement to enable them to legitimately compete for a championship over the next few years.

Let’s face it, in spite of all the hate and jealousy directed toward Clark, that team (Indiana) is in prime position to become a dominant team over the next few years! They have the best threesome (if they can somehow talk Mitchell into buying in) with potential in the entire league! They are very good players, young, have now learned how to play together and, in Clark, have a player who will maximize their already considerable skills!
Seattle, on the other hand, is going nowhere fast! They are old, and their core three players are already on the downhill slide. Maybe she likes the city! Anyway, I’m pulling for her! All the best to Gabby Williams! She will always be one of my favorites!
If you were Gabby and you went through how Chicago treated her (whatever the details) and you end up with the Storm in time to play with Sue and Stewie, and everyone treated her well while putting her in her now-favored position at the wing (which her teams in Europe judged as best to take advantage of her versatility).....I think you would feel drawn to help them in their push for a deep run in the playoffs......not coring her would still keep her UFA status in 2025. I suspect this move tugged at her heart.....and still she would remain free to choose where she would prefer to go next year.

Given that she has played with half the team the past two seasons, she could be effective almost immediately (just Nneka and Skylar to get used to)

I didn't expect less from my #1 favorite player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She would still be free to join them next year should they ask and if she wants to. Or, she could join the team that drafts Paige, assuming it would be a promising one (who has the #1 pick next year? - ah, it's complicated because there is an expansion draft for Golden State). Or, she does whatever she wants, which is what she had been protecting in her decision process.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby will play 40% of the season for about $24K this year. Next year, as an unrestricted free agent under a new CBA and salary scale, she could make $400K.

Reaction Score
Interesting reading:

https://www./features/what-gabby-williams-return-to-seattle-means-for-storms-playoff-push/

“I think the relationship that she has built in Seattle, her comfort here and her familiarity here, plays into us being the landing spot for her. But you know, Gabby’s family, we’re in constant communication and connected with her always,” Quinn said.

On the court Quinn and her staff will have some decisions to make. Jordan Horston has consistently started at the three for the Storm since taking over the role from Victoria Vivians 15 games into the season but Williams’ return could push Horston back to the bench.

Whether Horston comes off the bench or Williams does it will hopefully help Seattle’s reserve’s scoring struggles, currently ranking ninth in the WNBA in bench scoring with 15.0 points per game by reserves.

Quinn also discussed the possibility of moving Diggins-Smith more off the ball than her point guard duties usually allow because “Gabby has an ability to initiate and run offense and do those things like she did in France, and like she has done for us before.” Quinn continued, “you think about ball screens with Nneka. You think about her ability to just create a lot of things that I feel like we have, but it just kind of elevates everything.”

Nika stays but she will continue to have limited minutes. Quinn has had thoughts about moving some of the PG duties to someone else but never had enough confidence to use Nika. Now, she is going to use Gabby for that.....since she has done it before for them as a point forward from 3.

Reaction Score
https://www./features/what-gabby-williams-return-to-seattle-means-for-storms-playoff-push/

I guess The Next Hoops doesn't want to be linked......it is a longish article.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom