Why Each of the F4 Teams Could Win Championship | The Boneyard

Why Each of the F4 Teams Could Win Championship

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
It is very true that any team can win in Dallas. Geno emphasizes this point to his players. There is no chance they will take any team lightly.

Geno also said in his press conference that Mississippi State is not the same team that they faced last year. Both UConn and Mississippi State have personnel changes as well as the additional experience one year provides.

In the ESPN analysis in the video, the commentator suggests that the key things that Mississippi State has going for it are 1) post players with height and 2) the ability to score a lot of points as they have in the tournament so far.

That said, last year's blowout win that the Huskies had over Mississippi in the 2016 NCAA tournament should provide some degree of optimism for UConn fans. UConn won last years game 98-32 while the score after three quarters was 84-20. Here's the link to the box score of that game:

Mississippi State vs. Connecticut - Box Score - March 26, 2016 - ESPN

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you're a reporter I guess you have to write about something, but quite frankly the other 3 teams in the FF have all been "offensively challenged" when facing tough defensive teams this season.

One of the standard axioms about beating UConn is that, "You have to be able to score with UConn", which is why teams like Baylor, ND & MD appeared to be more formidable opponents for the Huskies. With those teams now watching the FF on TV, I would assess the chances of anyone other than UConn winning the championship as remote.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
Oldude says: "If you're a reporter I guess you have to write about something, but quite frankly the other 3 teams in the FF have all been "offensively challenged" when facing tough defensive teams this season.

One of the standard axioms about beating UConn is that, "You have to be able to score with UConn", which is why teams like Baylor, ND & MD appeared to be more formidable opponents for the Huskies. With those teams now watching the FF on TV, I would assess the chances of anyone other than UConn winning the championship as remote."

He is right on track here although I would hesitate to use the word "remote" because all kinds of things like injuries, foul trouble, very cold shooting night, etc. that can happen as Geno well knows.

Beyond that, Oldude is exactly right that reporters have to write about something. In addition, if you are an ESPN reporter, even our beloved Rebecca, you had better not convey a message to the audience which suggests, "Don't even bother tuning in, folks. This game has no way of being competitive." That is not the path to ensuring your job security. :)

Reaction Score
the lady vols have beat 3 of the 4 teams in the FF. so frustrating. ready for this nightmare to be over! kudos to UCONN though. no one is even close. geno's ability to mentally motivate his players is his best asset.

Team discipline is what hurts the Vols. Talent sets a limit on how good a team is on their best days...for Tennessee, that's pretty damn good. Discipline sets a limit on how bad a team is on their worst days. For Tennessee, that's pretty damn bad.

Reaction Score
How does Mississippi beat UConn? Pray that William has a repeat "game of her life" and UConn has a lousy game, Otherwise I don't see M State having the tools to win. And praying for UConn to have a lousy game at this point is like praying for snow in July.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How does Mississippi beat UConn? Pray that William has a repeat "game of her life" and UConn has a lousy game, Otherwise I don't see M State having the tools to win. And praying for UConn to have a lousy game at this point is like praying for snow in July.
The challenge for MS St is to find someone besides William and Vivians to pick up the scoring load. The Bulldogs are not a balanced offensive team, and both William & Vivians have been inconsistent on offense this season. Leading up to Sunday's explosion vs Baylor, William averaged 4 ppg in her 3 prior tournament games. Vivians also struggled in several games this year vs top teams, including a poor performance vs the Gamecocks.

Kia will likely guard William and Gabby will likely get the nod vs Vivians. While I don't see the Huskies holding the Bulldogs to 38 pts like last year, I would be surprised if they get much beyond 60, and that's just not going to get it done against UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom