why dont kids grow as juniors and seniors? | The Boneyard

why dont kids grow as juniors and seniors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that once a recruit is noticed and his height is posted for the world to know that recruit doesnt typically grow. I would find it interesting if we were recruiting a 6'6 wing who has a growth spurt from junior to senior or even better from senior to college and that 6'6 wing is now a prospect as a center.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that once a recruit is noticed and his height is posted for the world to know that recruit doesnt typically grow. I would find it interesting if we were recruiting a 6'6 wing who has a growth spurt from junior to senior or even better from senior to college and that 6'6 wing is now a prospect as a center.

anthony davis is probably the most notable as he grew 7 inches from sophomore to Senior year. Previously David Robinson grew a lot in college. Sam Dekkar recently grew a couple of inches in college. I grew about an inch my between Junior year of high school and freshman year of college :)

Reaction Score
Gordon Hayward from Butler was a 5'11 freshman PG and he grew to be a 6'8 SG/SF.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that lots of prospects' heights aren't very accurately reported in the first place. You'll often see 4 different heights on 4 different sites.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that lots of prospects' heights aren't very accurately reported in the first place. You'll often see 4 different heights on 4 different sites.

Without this we'd never have the Hilton Unit.

Reaction Score
There are some kids who do grow late but I'd say most kids (not just basketball players) are done growing by the end of their sophomore year in high school. About the time a lot of basketball players get noticed. So it would stand to reason that most high school basketball players do stop growing by the time they get noticed.

Reaction Score
It does happen. Anthony Davis was 6'2 as a sophomore and 6'10 as a senior.

Reaction Score
It makes sense that it's rare though. Kids essentially have a max height that they will hit before they start growing, and they will hit it at different ages. A kid who is a highly touted recruit is more likely to be a kid who hit their max early.

Reaction Score
It does happen. Anthony Davis was 6'2 as a sophomore and 6'10 as a senior.
From guard to center in 3 years. The kid can dribble, shoot outside shots, protect the rim, grab boards against the tallest, etc.

He was made for basketball, literally speaking. He will be a player worth watching the next 10 years. In fact he's got game now.

Reaction Score
From guard to center in 3 years. The kid can dribble, shoot outside shots, protect the rim, grab boards against the tallest, etc.

He was made for basketball, literally speaking. He will be a player worth watching the next 10 years. In fact he's got game now.

That's an understatement, The argument can be made that he's the 2nd best player in the NBA right now. 24-10-3 blocks as a 21 y/o is pretty sick and he's clearly getting better still.

Reaction Score
That's an understatement, The argument can be made that he's the 2nd best player in the NBA right now. 24-10-3 blocks as a 21 y/o is pretty sick and he's clearly getting better still.
whoaaaa. I think that argument is still about 3 years away. We had two of the top three in the finals this year, with the other being Durant. It will take quite a bit to knock those three off.

But if I were starting a franchise today, my first pick would prob be Chef or Brow

Reaction Score
That's not true at all. He was a 6'7 recruit coming out of High School

As a high school freshman he was 5'11. I'm 100% positive. As a junior in high school he was a 6'7 wing. And by his senior year in high school he grew to 6'8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom