Why do we schedule Sunday afternoon games? | The Boneyard

Why do we schedule Sunday afternoon games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand the logic behind scheduling had-to-head against NFL games. It's not like the XL and Gampel are not available at other times. I'm sure TV is involved, but that's not what I would consider to be counter-programming.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the logic behind scheduling had-to-head against NFL games. It's not linke the XL and Gampel are not available at other times. I'm sure TV is involved, but that's not what I would consider to be counter-programming.
Name one school besides BYU that does not played Sunday afternoon games during the NFL season?

Reaction Score
Remember when the new TV schedule for the AAC was announced and everyone was sooooo happy that 85% of the conference games would be on "national TV"....well, here you go. Not everyone can be on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Actually, once the conference games start, there are zero Monday games and very few Tues. night games.

Reaction Score
Name one school besides BYU that does not played Sunday afternoon games during the NFL season?

True.....but due to the TV schedule and position of this conference in the overall hierarchy, the number of Sunday games is huge,

I have had HCC/XL season tix for 25 years. I can count the number of Sunday games I have been to on one hand. This season there are 5.

Reaction Score
True.....but due to the TV schedule and position of this conference in the overall hierarchy, the number of Sunday games is huge,

I have had HCC/XL season tix for 25 years. I can count the number of Sunday games I have been to on one hand. This season there are 5.
I'm sure Warde will call to get your thoughts in the future

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Lucky you've got 2 hands!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't understand the logic behind scheduling had-to-head against NFL games. It's not like the XL and Gampel are not available at other times. I'm sure TV is involved, but that's not what I would consider to be counter-programming.

Welcome to the AAC, my boy.

We're being used by the conference to sell tickets on the road on Saturdays and in return, we get to fill odd gaps in ESPN's Sunday schedule when we're home.

Reaction Score
never mind that, who schedules a game on a weekday at 1pm???? A conference game no less.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
never mind that, who schedules a game on a weekday at 1pm???? A conference game no less.

You should look at the National schedule. There are games all over on Wednesday and some p5 games on Monday and Tuesday.

Reaction Score
You guys have a problem with 1:00pm, we'll then you missed the Cinci game at 11:00am at the XL center on Saturday 1/10/15. Good luck getting the students to that game

Reaction Score
You guys have a problem with 1:00pm, we'll then you missed the Cinci game at 11:00am at the XL center on Saturday 1/10/15. Good luck getting the students to that game

at least I don't have to take half a vacation day to attend that game.

Reaction Score
yes, the Temple game. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I work that day, it's a normal day in the office.
FWIW the Celtics are playing at 1:00 that day also. So I guess there are enough people not working that day to fill the stands or else they wouldn't schedule a game then.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
MHoc is in Bridgeport at either 3 or 6, gonna speed down 91 to catch that as well as part of ccsu game. Wish hockey was 4/7

Reaction Score
HooperScooper said:
FWIW the Celtics are playing at 1:00 that day also. So I guess there are enough people not working that day to fill the stands or else they wouldn't schedule a game then.

I was curious so checked it out. There are 7 DI games on Wednesday at 1: Wisconsin, Tennessee, Wake Forest, UConn, Bryant, Winthrop, and Green Bay are the hosts. Fordham, Youngstown, UCF, East Carolina and Seton Hall have home games at noon. Among other bigger names with weird times: Villanova hosts at 2:30, Duke at 3, Purdue at 3:30, DePaul, SMU and Oklahoma at 4, Syracuse at 6. Xavier has the 10 pm "ring out the old year" game against Georgetown.

It's obviously not a normal day. Some folks may work, but many others are off to their NYE plans and wouldn't have any interest in being at a hoops game from 7-9. And there's a lot of hours of TV coverage to fill.

Reaction Score
I think we have done this for the last 3 or 4 years at least on NYE.

But teams all over the country do it now, it has become a big day.

C

Chief00

Going against the NFL is suicidal for home attendance. And if you must do - a game at 1pm is going against the two local teams (Pats and Giants). The worse scenario.
At some point the overpaid administrators at UConn need to start influencing some outcomes or let's get people in place who can.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
Going against the NFL is suicidal for home attendance. And if you must do - a game at 1pm is going against the two local teams (Pats and Giants). The worse scenario. At some point the overpaid administrators at UConn need to start influencing some outcomes or let's get people in place who can.

Playing on Saturday the 27th would have made it tough on the kids to travel to get back for a practice on the 26th. Monday the 29th would have meant not enough prep time for a league opener. Sunday was the best place to put a tuneup game so you don't have to start league play after a 10-day layoff, and you're not going to draw at 7 pm on a Sunday either for a game against Central, so might as well just play it at 1. Attendance for this one isn't nearly as important as just getting in a game and shaking off some rust.

Occasionally, there are games which are just shoe horned in where it's best for the team and nobody else.

Reaction Score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the Sunday games. This really is a home schedule from hell - I mean between all the Sunday games, the New Years game at 1, the 11:00 game, and all the terrible opponents, we really got screwed. Even the one marquee match-up was at noon on a Sunday on thanksgiving weekend.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
As a Giants fan, I assure you this weekends game did not factor into my plans in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom