Why do NCAA Exhibitions Exist? | The Boneyard

Why do NCAA Exhibitions Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So in MLB you can have a few beers in the sun after a long winter, maybe see some big prospects and the pitchers need to build their arms up and batters get their timing...

In the NFL you can make roster decisions based on game situations and sell 2 more games on your season ticket plan without killing the starters in an 18 game season.

In the NBA and NHL you can sell tickets to a few more games I guess - maybe work on combinations and play your way into shape..

Big time college basketball programs play 6-8 cupcakes out of conference that may as well be exhibition games. Why don't they just play 2 more games that count instead of playing asinine games against D-II schools. Why not let NEC, America East, MEAC and SWAC teams have a few more paydays? Is there any real reason why UConn should play AIC in games that don't count instead of Sacred Heart or CCSU in games that do?

Reaction Score
Probably a fair take on the issue and I agree with you for the most part.The only thing I can think of is getting a game-like atmosphere and getting experience. We play a tough, well-coached team in just over a week and teams like us can use all of the game like experience we can.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Probably a fair take on the issue and I agree with you for the most part.The only thing I can think of is getting a game-like atmosphere and getting experience. We play a tough, well-coached team in just over a week and teams like us can use all of the game like experience we can.

But why wouldn't UHart or Bryant do a better job of preparing you - and potentially lead to fewer cupcake games over time if the selection committee truly valued SOS?

Reaction Score
Nice to get that first half against a cup cake. If it was against MSU we would have been down 45-5. I am all for these games at the start of the year- you just can not take too much good or bad from them- take em at face value.

Reaction Score
Every none exhibition game counts though. Therefore all of the experience teams can get prior is very important especially in collegiate basketball because of the rapid turnover amongst teams. What exactly does it hurt as opposed to gaining experience for young guys and playing in live game situations? If you play poorly or lose in an exhibition game it has no effect on your actual season. If you play poorly and lose during your season it goes under bad loss or losses. It seems like a win-win for me and that's probably why they have one for almost every sport.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every none exhibition game counts though. Therefore all of the experience teams can get prior is very important especially in collegiate basketball because of the rapid turnover amongst teams. What exactly does it hurt as opposed to gaining experiend real time game situations for tough team?

Not a bit of sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry had some technical difficulties, please take a look at it again after my edit.

I guess I'm not understanding why the big teams can't at least play a Wagner or a New Hampshire instead of Division
II schools?

Having two more schedule slots may actually lead to some teams playing more legitimate opponents since the two games would figure into RPI and SOS. At the very least instead of playing no exhibition games - small
schools could play each other. If UConn isn't willing to play Niagara instead of AIC why can't Niagara and Quinnipiac get a crack at each other and play two more games overall.

The reason why UConn doesn't sell
as many season tickets as they should is because the schedule is so saturated
with deadweight. Now does charging your most loyal fans for the right to see
AIC make any sense?

If Top 25 programs didn't feast on cupcakes then exhibitions may make sense. They spend two months drilling terrible teams - why not just increase the max games in the regular season
and at least some schools will use the extra big game on the schedule

Reaction Score
I think i remember a thread about this last year during the exhibitions. Teams need to play against somebody before the real season starts. The exhibition games are really just a glorified practice session. Im sure they can bus in AIC on a Saturday morning and just play in front of an empty arena with no media either, but then the schools would be throwing away an opportunity to sell tickets/concessions/souvenirs. Not to mentoin its probably an NCAA violation anyway to have an unsanctioned scrimmage. I dont mind them. It just adds to the hype before the season gets underway...it also gives us something to talk about

Reaction Score
They suck because season ticket holders have to pay the full price for a ticket for a game and most of the time i have to eat the tickets because i cant go thursdays or sundays.

Reaction Score
Whaler, you answered your own question in the OP. These games are a way for rabid fans to get a look at their team "early" and the school/venue can make some extra money. From a players perspective, every year we typically hear the "It was good to just get to play someone in a different Jersey" comment from the players. Give DIs two games to work out the kinks against greatly inferior teams and DII and III schools get a payday that might supplement half their budget for the year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, you answered your own question in the OP. These games are a way for rabid fans to get a look at their team "early" and the school/venue can make some extra money. From a players perspective, every year we typically hear the "It was good to just get to play someone in a different Jersey" comment from the players. Give DIs two games to work out the kinks against greatly inferior teams and DII and III schools get a payday that might supplement half their budget for the year.

But they spent most of the next 2 months playing teams that are inferior anyway. Why do they need inferior opponents to warm up for inferior opponents. Why not just play two more games that count against d-1 schools that count towards SOS to motivate schools to schedule up. You know actually give something to the people who financially support it.

Reaction Score
It is also to build some confidence before playing a team like Wagner. Get the kinks out- it's is like a practice where for the first time you get to play someone other then your teammates and see a different game plan.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Considering Jimmy Calhoun went to AIC, I'd say its more of an annual tradition game.

Reaction Score
I would guess that teams at the bottom of D1 need a couple of teams to beat up on before they start a real schedule, something they couldnt find in a game that counted.

Reaction Score
Last night was a perfect example. its a chance to play someone else and see how things go. Pretty much every sport but D1 football has them. they started with these international teams, back in the late 1970s I think. then they went to these touring semi-pro type teams of ex-college players, Team Nike, Team Adidas, Team Reebok, Campus Crusade for Christ all had them and played a bunch of games. After that it was some Sr AAU types, with similar type players...after the Rudy Gay-UConn-Maryland dust up, the NCAA did away with those games and teams started playing D-2 teams. In my humble opinion, some of the interantional teams were pretty good. Most of the Traveling road shows were awful. The D-2s at least try and run an offense.

Reaction Score
I think i remember a thread about this last year during the exhibitions. Teams need to play against somebody before the real season starts. The exhibition games are really just a glorified practice session. Im sure they can bus in AIC on a Saturday morning and just play in front of an empty arena with no media either, but then the schools would be throwing away an opportunity to sell tickets/concessions/souvenirs. Not to mentoin its probably an NCAA violation anyway to have an unsanctioned scrimmage. I dont mind them. It just adds to the hype before the season gets underway...it also gives us something to talk about
I agree with this. It is simply a tune-up game in a real game-like atmosphere. The only sport to not do this as mentioned is D 1 football...do you remember Michigan losing to Appalachian State? That's what football does for "tune-ups" and you can see what happens. I'll come back to the question of what does it hurt? I simply cannot use the excuse of season ticket holders having to pay for a few extra games you can't make it to. This is coming from a message board that has raised $30,000 dollars for our former coach. A few extra dollars shouldn't be a big deal.

Reaction Score
So in MLB you can have a few beers in the sun after a long winter, maybe see some big prospects and the pitchers need to build their arms up and batters get their timing...

In the NFL you can make roster decisions based on game situations and sell 2 more games on your season ticket plan without killing the starters in an 18 game season.

In the NBA and NHL you can sell tickets to a few more games I guess - maybe work on combinations and play your way into shape..

Big time college basketball programs play 6-8 cupcakes out of conference that may as well be exhibition games. Why don't they just play 2 more games that count instead of playing asinine games against D-II schools. Why not let NEC, America East, MEAC and SWAC teams have a few more paydays? Is there any real reason why UConn should play AIC in games that don't count instead of Sacred Heart or CCSU in games that do?
They have exhibition games because these kids get tired playing each other every day. It gives the coaches flexibility in playing different combinations that would be difficult in practice. They serve a purpose especially for the coaches and the kids get to play in front of a crowd.I have a bigger problem scheduling cupcakes for real games.

Reaction Score
You need exhibition games to evaluate personnel, learn schemes and NOT worry about the score. It's a high octane practice with officials.

What's not to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22