Why do certain fans consistently perpetuate negativity? | The Boneyard

Why do certain fans consistently perpetuate negativity?

Reaction Score
I am a frequent reader of these boards and it amazes me no matter what the topic is there are always posters who take such a negative position several months after the season is over. I come here in the off-season because I am excited about the coming year and want to look forward. Reading the OSU thread, several people proclaiming football is dead was the latest example (of many) that prompted me to post this. So.....

Do their lives suck so much they adhere to the misery likes company theme? Do they want to say somewhere down the line that they “told you so”?Are they trying to anger and incite the true fans by continually being negative? These must be the same people who only root for one Uconn sport (and wish ill will on others), which has been discussed here and for the life of me I can’t understand.

Once the season starts we can complain if the product continues to be bad. The evidence will be on the field and it is fair game. I certainly have been critical during the season.

At this point, I am choosing to believe we are getting better, perhaps we catch lightning in a bottle with a QB and surprise some this fall. I enjoy the experience at home games and will enjoy going to some great away venues as well. Most of all I will support the kids and coaches who undoubtedly are working their tails off to represent our University. I will continue trying to educate everyone I come in contact with of the possibilities for a successful football future.

Reaction Score
Agree with all you have stated. I actually think the board is a bit better and there is one poster in particular that appears to be on an hiatus that significantly improves the prospects for reasonable discourse.

Of course, some folks love to be miserable and that’s just life......

Reaction Score
I second that. Some of you will cut off your nose to spite your face and for what? Football is overwhelmingly the most popular of the collegiate sports across America. Don't believe me then why would all the major TV sports channels pump that much money into collegiate football. And why should UConn not be part of that club? Whether you like it or not that's just the way it is and there are plenty in the state that love football and are just waiting for a team to love and support and be proud of. You don't like football? Then don't read the football threads. Stick to the basketball. The broken record some of you keep on spinning is tiring.

Reaction Score
Cut people a break. Tens years of failure after failure is enough to put most folks in a cynical mood. After being fooled enough times, I don’t blame a single person for negativity. It’s great to see men’s BB showing signs of future resurgence. I hope we do the same for football.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am a frequent reader of these boards and it amazes me no matter what the topic is there are always posters who take such a negative position several months after the season is over. I come here in the off-season because I am excited about the coming year and want to look forward. Reading the OSU thread, several people proclaiming football is dead was the latest example (of many) that prompted me to post this. So.....

Do their lives suck so much they adhere to the misery likes company theme? Do they want to say somewhere down the line that they “told you so”?Are they trying to anger and incite the true fans by continually being negative? These must be the same people who only root for one Uconn sport (and wish ill will on others), which has been discussed here and for the life of me I can’t understand.

Once the season starts we can complain if the product continues to be bad. The evidence will be on the field and it is fair game. I certainly have been critical during the season.

At this point, I am choosing to believe we are getting better, perhaps we catch lightning in a bottle with a QB and surprise some this fall. I enjoy the experience at home games and will enjoy going to some great away venues as well. Most of all I will support the kids and coaches who undoubtedly are working their tails off to represent our University. I will continue trying to educate everyone I come in contact with of the possibilities for a successful football future.

Do their lives suck so much they adhere to the misery likes company theme? Yes.

Do they want to say somewhere down the line that they “told you so”? Yes.

Are they trying to anger and incite the true fans by continually being negative? Not really. More along lines of point #2.

These must be the same people who only root for one Uconn sport (and wish ill will on others), which has been discussed here and for the life of me I can’t understand. Yes.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We can't draw the blueprints for a full scale bandwagon if we don't know how big it needs to be.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why do some posters insist on a message board that only allows positive posts after 10+ years of unmitigated disaster? That’s just refusing to deal in reality.

The root cause is the losing, not pointing out that every positive prediction here has been wildly, wildly wrong.

If you are still supporting the program, still enjoy going to games... good for you!

Reaction Score
Why do some posters insist on a message board that only allows positive posts after 10+ years of unmitigated disaster? That’s just refusing to deal in reality.

The root cause is the losing, not pointing out that every positive prediction here has been wildly, wildly wrong.

If you are still supporting the program, still enjoy going to games... good for you!

understanding most of what you said and your frustration ....

If you are not supporting the program, and not going to games, why are you here posting?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

It doesn't have to be positive all the time, no one is saying that. But my god some of what is droned on here constantly which is annoying to say the least.
When something is positive it would be nice to hear that from some, instead of the same old thing

Reaction Score
This is Connecticut, it's what people do in these parts. You can't escape it. If you win, you didn't win by enough. If you lose a close game, it's cause you suck.

CT is filled with fair weather fans that leave early when the team is down so they don't have to wait in traffic.

There might be rain in the forecast, eh, they don't show. It's a little colder than normal, eh they go to the mall.

The sense of entitlement is pathetic. This is why we can't have nice things. Before the Whalers left, they played with empty seats, they had to announce they were leaving before fans lined up to get season tickets so they wouldn't leave.

It's Connecticut, a place where it's never your fault when somebody else is always wrong.

There, now you know, you Happy?

Reaction Score
I contend there were people in the Boston / New England market who were bummed when the Red Sox finally won the World Series. It eliminated their ability to complain. They were far happier complaining than they were winning!
Post/Avatar

Reaction Score
It doesn't have to be positive all the time, no one is saying that. But my god some of what is droned on here constantly which is annoying to say the least.
When something is positive it would be nice to hear that from some, instead of the same old thing
ok. When HCREDreamJob1.0 was hired to be HCRE2.0 what were the expectations? 3-9, 1-11 (with worst defensive stats in FBS history) 2-10? Nice 1st year DC hire and strategy and good job hanging with it in year 2. Wins didn't matter. Finds freshman QB with IT. Can't scheme a successful 3rd and 1 play even with a top draft pick at RT. Portal guys have issues (but not UConn guys of course, only the other guys).
Given the total lack of success by this head coach it is surprising that so much positive can be found to say about him.
Believe what you want in the off season or in season, very low standard to be getting better than last year.
Name the top few teams that get buy games like UConn is doing I'm not sure who they are so I know who our "comparable teams" are since we are no longer in a league. We are being paid by UCF (not Alabama or Texas) to play them, who said the "Conflict" was dead?
No problem with the players, head coach needs to go.
On the POSITIVE side, he won't have another losing in conference record this year.
Let's go out there and show UMass whose boss!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
understanding most of what you said and your frustration ....

If you are not supporting the program, and not going to games, why are you here posting?
This thread really isn’t about me, but I’ve been a die hard football supporter since graduating from UConn in 01 and still want to see it succeed... despite passing on season tix for the first time in 16 years this past season.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Entitled humans. Happens all over, not just here.

Reaction Score
When I post, it's almost always positive (except for when I see fake, fake field goals). I don't begrudge most negative comments. It's annoying to read posts that imply football should be shut down or we shouldn't waste our time with it. Why would a fan write that? I like to be optimistic, specially this time of the year. I think it comes from being a young Yankee fan in the 60's when somehow I would rationalize how Horace Clarke and Joe Pepitone would lead us to the World Series.
More annoyed by the professional press and their negativity (and total ignoring) of the program. It's way too easy to state the obvious, the team has not been good. Much harder to look for positive stories and best case scenarios. Generating excitement about this program is good for all of us.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think it comes from being a young Yankee fan in the 60's when somehow I would rationalize how Horace Clarke and Joe Pepitone would lead us to the World Series.
I remember Phil Rizzuto talking up Ross Moschitto as a rising star.

Reaction Score
Cut people a break. Tens years of failure after failure is enough to put most folks in a cynical mood. After being fooled enough times, I don’t blame a single person for negativity. It’s great to see men’s BB showing signs of future resurgence. I hope we do the same for football.
There is only one crank in this thread that is the type the OP is refering. You have been critical yes and yet have balanced your criticisms with positives ie.the future indie scheduling.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
My only issue with the negative posters is that they are negative on everything. I can see being upset or not liking somethings, but everything?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom