Why Dan Hurley stayed at UConn: Texts with LeBron James, Billy Joel concert lead to decision to spurn Lakers | The Boneyard

Why Dan Hurley stayed at UConn: Texts with LeBron James, Billy Joel concert lead to decision to spurn Lakers

Reaction Score
CBS: What were you thinking when you walked out of the building, got on the plane and flew back home?

DH: This is going to be brutal. This is going to be a hard choice. And I think, in general — and it's weird, because some of the advice, and there's just all these different things too, because you've got a lot of things going on in your mind — but, it's funny, in the end, I just had this conversation with Alex Karaban. If a decision is really hard whether you should stay in a place or leave a place, and you're torn, you probably should never go. You should only probably leave a place if it's a clear thing to do. And so really, I just backtracked and just did what I told Alex.

Reaction Score
CBS: What were you thinking when you walked out of the building, got on the plane and flew back home?

DH: This is going to be brutal. This is going to be a hard choice. And I think, in general — and it's weird, because some of the advice, and there's just all these different things too, because you've got a lot of things going on in your mind — but, it's funny, in the end, I just had this conversation with Alex Karaban. If a decision is really hard whether you should stay in a place or leave a place, and you're torn, you probably should never go. You should only probably leave a place if it's a clear thing to do. And so really, I just backtracked and just did what I told Alex.
I posted that quote 2 or 3 times in the long thread about the Lakers offer. Glad Hurley took his own advice.

Reaction Score
CBS: I don't know how well it would have sat with you if you had done it and not done great there. I'm not saying you would have failed …

DH: Because I wouldn't have failed. I would have done a great job. I would have won NBA championships and I would have been one of the few coaches ever (t win an NCAA and NBA title). I would have joined Larry Brown.

CBS: That's what I'm getting at. Maybe that's something that's in the future, at a spot maybe that's better suited to you?

DH: Yeah, maybe. Or maybe not. Maybe I don't ever do it. I don't HAVE to do that to fulfill myself.

Reaction Score
CBS: I know he's only one player on the roster, but Alex did have a 50/50 draft decision. He decided to come back and play for you, and then the entire situation flipped on its head in short order. Did you have some looming potential guilt over leaving the roster behind, leaving him behind after he had committed and wouldn't have been able to go back in the draft? I'm wondering if that might have played a bigger role than some people might have suspected.

DH: Big. Yeah, that that was big, that was big, that was important. And again, I don't know, like, if he stays in the draft … I'm not sure what that does, because some players, the other returners, and then the transfers and the high school guys — the window would open up for them. But their options would be very limited at this point in the summer. There would have been an opportunity, just not knowing for the entirety of the group, but Alex in particular. Yeah, that was real. That came up a bunch of times, and I actually talked to him on Sunday. And I didn't talk to many people. I put the phone away at that point, but he was one of the few people I called and spoke to.

Some posters had speculated that Karaban might have had something to do with him staying. They were right.

Reaction Score
CBS: I know he's only one player on the roster, but Alex did have a 50/50 draft decision. He decided to come back and play for you, and then the entire situation flipped on its head in short order. Did you have some looming potential guilt over leaving the roster behind, leaving him behind after he had committed and wouldn't have been able to go back in the draft? I'm wondering if that might have played a bigger role than some people might have suspected.

DH: Big. Yeah, that that was big, that was big, that was important. And again, I don't know, like, if he stays in the draft … I'm not sure what that does, because some players, the other returners, and then the transfers and the high school guys — the window would open up for them. But their options would be very limited at this point in the summer. There would have been an opportunity, just not knowing for the entirety of the group, but Alex in particular. Yeah, that was real. That came up a bunch of times, and I actually talked to him on Sunday. And I didn't talk to many people. I put the phone away at that point, but he was one of the few people I called and spoke to.

Some posters had speculated that Karaban might have had something to do with him staying. They were right.
I thought about that too when I read it. During that long Lakers thread, someone kept coming back to this point and was confident that Danny was staying because of it.

Reaction Score
It sure as heck sounded like he was very close to leaving. Unfortunately his name will pop up next summer and probably every summer until he eventually leaves or we stop winning as much.

Reaction Score
It sure as heck sounded like he was very close to leaving. Unfortunately his name will pop up next summer and probably every summer until he eventually leaves or we stop winning as much.
I’m not worried you have to live in the moment and not think too far ahead.

Reaction Score

Haaaaaaa!!! @Rocktheworld shouldve hanged me for this and this reason only. The only reason I ever doubted DH through this process was this quote. Now, I definitely deserved a hanging because his integrity is pristine. Nice knowing yall. Take it easy

Reaction Score
I’m not worried you have to live in the moment and not think too far ahead.

I get that, just seemed like he could have done a better job lying about his intentions. I listened to most his interviews as I imagine many here did and didn’t walk away thinking he’s committed to being here long term.

Reaction Score
Not too shabby...

Screenshot_20240613_191021_X.jpg

Reaction Score

Wow. This man just gave AK the utmost respect. I hope they bring home the 3peat. Their relationship is what college sports should be all about. Maybe AK even comes back for his last year of eligibility and wins 4 straight. Lol!

Reaction Score
I was thinking that if he hadn't fully decided by the time that MSG concert happened, that it would have clarified a few things about his connection to MSG, the Northeast, and UConn being a little too fresh to move on from. You're marinating in great successes with more on the table. Is it just too soon to change course?

A number of people criticized him for even going to the concert. But it may have been a tipping point. MSG and Billy Joel can do that to you.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that if he hadn't fully decided by the time that MSG concert happened, that it would have clarified a few things about his connection to MSG, the Northeast, and UConn being a little too fresh to move on from. You're marinating in great successes with more on the table. Is it just too soon to change course?

A number of people criticized him for even going to the concert. But it may have been a tipping point. MSG and Billy Joel can do that to you.
In another interview he mentioned how they were supposed to go earlier but had to cancel because that was the only weekend Flagg could visit. Good timing!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom