Why Cam Spencer is perfect fit for Dan Hurley and UConn | The Boneyard

Why Cam Spencer is perfect fit for Dan Hurley and UConn

Reaction Score
This is one of those player profile articles from Mike Anthony. Which means it's very long.

“I remember being at the airport after the UConn visit and saying to Bruce, ‘If he doesn’t come here, he’s crazy,’” Donna said. “Bruce was like, ‘You can’t say that, it has to be his decision.’ The four of us, when we sat down, it was just a no-brainer and he’s never looked back. It’s been such a great experience. The Rutgers opportunity was fantastic and he’s very appreciative of it, but I think what he loves about UConn is the way they hold them accountable. Cam is such a driven kid and he loves that part of it. He’s going to work hard and he’s going to be there every day giving you his all. He wants his teammates to be like-minded, and they really are. And the coaches are, for sure.”

Alternate access:

Why Cam Spencer is perfect fit for Dan Hurley and UConn men's basketball: 'People think he's crazy'

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good article. These quotes stick out for me.

“Cam had been speaking with Rutgers about what the following year was going to look like, and he just wanted to play at the highest level he possibly could play,” Bruce said. “That doesn’t mean Big Ten players don’t make it to the NBA, but for Cameron, for the style of play in the Big Ten and the way he plays the game, and the perception of him as being less athletic than the next kid, being in a more athletic environment to see whether he would sink or swim was pretty important in our eyes.”

If there ever is a comment to validate the superiority of BE basketball to the Big Ten the above comment does it!

Basketball programs become homes away from home. Cam feels at home at UConn. He did from the moment he set foot on campus and got a sense for the vibe.
“Blue collar, grinding in the gym, not debating whether somebody's going to be in for a workout today,” Bruce said. “Everybody's all-in. It just fit him like a glove. We were giddy when we left.”

"The Rutgers opportunity was fantastic and he’s very appreciative of it, but I think what he loves about UConn is the way they hold them accountable. Cam is such a driven kid and he loves that part of it. He’s going to work hard and he’s going to be there every day giving you his all. He wants his teammates to be like-minded, and they really are. And the coaches are, for sure.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
“Spencer looked into remaining a dog — a Husky — beyond this season. He played just five games as a Loyola sophomore in 2020-21 after returning from hip surgery and recently appealed to the NCAA for a waiver to return to UConn for as a sixth-year graduate student in 2024-25. The request was denied by the NCAA, which had already granted an extra year of eligibility to any players on rosters that season, due to complications of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

I wish we could appeal this somehow. But he’s probably at peace with it by now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom