Why Baylor, ND, SC, tOS et al will be cheering for UConn.... | The Boneyard

Why Baylor, ND, SC, tOS et al will be cheering for UConn....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I cannot possibly imagine any of this season's pretenders cheering for any team other than UConn to win another NC and head into the 2016-17 with The Streak still intact....every single one of them will want to be the next Stanford and be remembered as the team that brought it to an end....giving that distinction to a newbie who few gave any chance of making it this far might seem gleeful in the moment but only sprinkle salt on already open wounds for not getting the job done themselves....it would be tantamount to sending in your kid brother or sister into what should have been your fight to teach a lesson to the bully that you couldn't handle....all of them had 4 cracks at a NC and came up empty each and every time....they reached for the prized ring everytime but the only one still left on the merry-go-round is the consolation ring that goes to the team that eventually brings an end to The Streak....it is already difficult enough for them to know that their next ride will take place only after Stewie, Mo & Tuck have left the park; it would eat away at their competitive souls to know that it took an upstart kid sister to take care of the bully that they couldn't handle......

Reaction Score
I cannot possibly imagine any of this season's pretenders cheering for any team other than UConn to win another NC and head into the 2016-17 with The Streak still intact....every single one of them will want to be the next Stanford and be remembered as the team that brought it to an end....giving that distinction to a newbie who few gave any chance of making it this far might seem gleeful in the moment but only sprinkle salt on already open wounds for not getting the job done themselves....it would be tantamount to sending in your kid brother or sister into what should have been your fight to teach a lesson to the bully that you couldn't handle....all of them had 4 cracks at a NC and came up empty each and every time....they reached for the prized ring everytime but the only one still left on the merry-go-round is the consolation ring that goes to the team that eventually brings an end to The Streak....it is already difficult enough for them to know that their next ride will take place only after Stewie, Mo & Tuck have left the park; it would eat away at their competitive souls to know that it took an upstart kid sister to take care of the bully that they couldn't handle.

You overthinking it a bit...

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I cannot possibly imagine any of this season's pretenders cheering for any team other than UConn to win another NC and head into the 2016-17 with The Streak still intact....every single one of them will want to be the next Stanford and be remembered as the team that brought it to an end....giving that distinction to a newbie who few gave any chance of making it this far might seem gleeful in the moment but only sprinkle salt on already open wounds for not getting the job done themselves....it would be tantamount to sending in your kid brother or sister into what should have been your fight to teach a lesson to the bully that you couldn't handle....all of them had 4 cracks at a NC and came up empty each and every time....they reached for the prized ring everytime but the only one still left on the merry-go-round is the consolation ring that goes to the team that eventually brings an end to The Streak....it is already difficult enough for them to know that their next ride will take place only after Stewie, Mo & Tuck have left the park; it would eat away at their competitive souls to know that it took an upstart kid sister to take care of the bully that they couldn't handle.

Speaking as just 1 fan of South Carolina... this couldn't be further from the truth.

I would love nothing more than seeing Oregon State or Washington win it all.

I actually think it would eat at UCONN fans more than anything for being denied their 4th straight and having Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck? not go out on top.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As long as Syracuse doesn't win, I'm good. Which is not much to worry about because they are going to get waxed if they go to the championship game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As long as Syracuse doesn't win, I'm good. Which is not much to worry about because they are going to get waxed if they go to the championship game.
Washington I think wins handily.

Reaction Score
Speaking as just 1 fan of South Carolina... this couldn't be further from the truth.

I actually think it would eat at UCONN fans more than anything for being denied their 4th straight and having Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck? not go out on top.

I have a feeling that your's is the majority opinion on this question. That said, as a UConn fan I would hope that true basketball fans everywhere would appreciate the classy way that these three seniors have gone about their business over the past four years. I can't remember a single incident where any of these women have treated their competition with anything but respect.

Reaction Score

Just one fan like yourself but if the Huskies lose in the Final Four, it won't eat at me. As far as I'm concerned, we've been playing with "house money" for a while now. What UConn has already accomplished sets them apart from every other program. All we can do now is to widen that gap.

At some point (in theory anyway) we'll lose and the gap will no longer widen. Perhaps another program will emerge and the gap may narrow. Perhaps not. But what will never change is that UConn stood, unchallenged, atop the mountain. And it felt good.

Reaction Score

Win, or lose, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck go out on top.

Their run has bettered any player(s) during their era and it isn't close.

Reaction Score
As usual I preface with no spitting match but strongly disagree. First I cannot possibly imagine how anyone would think teams that had a great season and made the sweet 16 of the tourney are pretenders. :confused: The fact that they got beat in a one game showdown shows it can happen to anyone on a given day. As for the thought of coaches at this level cheering for UConn to continue winning until they get to play us is simply bazar. Some may be thinking one way or the other but most coaches will root for a team in their conference or if none, simply learn from both they are watching as will the team. There are also those that root for the team that knocked them out to win it all as some sort of comfort.
Having said that there are also those that would love to see it end sooner rather than later, this as every game UConn wins they and Geno set another record that may never be broken. :)

Reaction Score
Washington I think wins handily.

I disagree. Syracuse is the one team that will give Washington problems. They press non-stop, they're athletic and they're deep. They will speed Washington up and tire them out. I would love to see the big girl run up and down the court against Day. I'm pulling for Syracuse in this one.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Syracuse is the one team that will give Washington problems. They press non-stop, they're athletic and they're deep. They will speed Washington up and tire them out. I would love to see the big girl run up and down the court against Day. I'm pulling for Syracuse in this one.

There's another team that would give Washington, not just. problems but nightmares....can you guess who that might be?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
No prediction, just an observation.

It seems to me that Pac-12 teams have been underestimated collectively, based solely on tournament results. Washington is of course the prime example. Could it be that fan bases (and media coverage) that are mostly in eastern or central time zones have gone to bed too early to watch some good western basketball?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There's another team that would give Washington, not just. problems but nightmares....can you guess who that might be?
I'm a NYer. I'm pulling for Syracuse (vs Husky final), but I don't think they have an answer for Osahor or Plum. I also think Washington's size up front matches up well or over matches Syracuse's front. I also like Neighbors to out coach Hillsman. But yes, a team such as Syracuse (or better UConn) has the potential to run Osahor out of the building. For the Orange on Sunday I think however not.

Reaction Score
For what it is worth, I do not think The Streak matters in the grand scheme of things..... it is symbolic of our dominance, and is nice for fans to cite.... but it really does not impact anything meaningful.... I was at the Stanford game when the 90 game streak ended and it was like..... "OK that is done, let's get back to work"

For the FF, I agree with those who would rather not see Syracuse win.... not just because I like the bubbly personality of Kelsey Plum, and Osahor's flat footed 3 pt shot, but I do not think The Orange has been very kind in the past with words for UConn's program, and I think whatever hair they had across their butt, they could have been civil and allowed Stewie a homecoming game her senior, instead of forcing the event to Hamilton, 50 miles to the east..... but having said that .... congrats to Coach Q on the superb year his program has had

Reaction Score
Of the other 3 FF teams, Syracuse scares me the most. Not just because of their players but they've had one hell of a season. There is a vibe about them, I can't explain it. Like they're a team of destiny or something. Whatever it is it scares the crap out of me.

I'm probably wrong, I usually am.

Reaction Score
Of the other 3 FF teams, Syracuse scares me the most. Not just because of their players but they've had one hell of a season. There is a vibe about them, I can't explain it. Like they're a team of destiny or something. Whatever it is it scares the crap out of me.

I'm probably wrong, I usually am.
The SYR players vibes mirror the attitude of the coach. That devil may care attitude is a potential advantage in a huge game, especially if their opponents are tight.
even if occurs,must last for 40 mins.

Reaction Score
You overthinking it a bit...

This is what under thinking would look like... it's about where i'm at right now :p

12793109-drooling-emoticon.jpg

Reaction Score
Oh,my god,if we lose the championship I may have to move to Tennessee or something. Not! April Fools! Hey,look. You win some, you lose some. Usually we win when we are expected to. The times I remember us losing in the Final Four, we really did not have the best team.

Reaction Score

You must have thought about that answer for a LONNNNNNNGGG time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32