Why Azzi Fudd's parents travel to every game | The Boneyard

Why Azzi Fudd's parents travel to every game

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm impressed - "The constant travel just for small moments alone with their daughter is normal for the Fudds during basketball season. Since Azzi began playing in AAU and high school basketball leagues, Katie and Tim have made it a priority to attend all of her games, whether home or away."

"Katie and Tim aren't the first Husky parents to be regulars at games and many have traveled a long distance to see their daughter. Katie Lou Samuelson's father sometimes made the cross-country trip from Los Angeles to the East Coast for games. Same with Evina Westbrook's mom from Oregon. Aaliyah Edwards' parents travel from Canada every week to make as many as they can, too."

"Katie and Tim understand not all of Azzi’s teammates get the luxury of having their family close by and at games. Some, like Bettencourt, have to wait until major breaks in the schedule or for the offseason to see their family overseas. The Fudds take pride in being there for everyone."

Reaction Score
Because they can. I had a nephew who was a Stanford scholarship soccer player, but he and his family chose to go to Harvard non-scholarship so that his parents could see all of his games

Reaction Score
Because they can. I had a nephew who was a Stanford scholarship soccer player, but he and his family chose to go to Harvard non-scholarship so that his parents could see all of his games
That was about a $350,000.00 decision.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Since Tim is 6-foot-7, he sits in the aisle. He said he prefers Gampel Pavilion’s seats over XL Center and Mohegan Sun seats. In Hartford, he says the sharp edges of the seats always rip his pants while the cup holders on the back of the chairs in front of him at Mohegan always dig into his legs.

Hmmm.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed - "The constant travel just for small moments alone with their daughter is normal for the Fudds during basketball season. Since Azzi began playing in AAU and high school basketball leagues, Katie and Tim have made it a priority to attend all of her games, whether home or away."

"Katie and Tim aren't the first Husky parents to be regulars at games and many have traveled a long distance to see their daughter. Katie Lou Samuelson's father sometimes made the cross-country trip from Los Angeles to the East Coast for games. Same with Evina Westbrook's mom from Oregon. Aaliyah Edwards' parents travel from Canada every week to make as many as they can, too."

"Katie and Tim understand not all of Azzi’s teammates get the luxury of having their family close by and at games. Some, like Bettencourt, have to wait until major breaks in the schedule or for the offseason to see their family overseas. The Fudds take pride in being there for everyone."

I'm betting that they're driving to do this. Flights out of Canada are not cheap or convenient depending on the airport location.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This was another gem -

"The Fudds will cook big meals for the team (Tim says he always offers to smoke chicken wings and ribs) and even host some of the players’ families too. Tim said Inês Bettencourt’s parents stopped by this fall, traveling from Portugal to see their freshman daughter."

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Thanks @BRS24, great read. UConn recruits kids with specific character traits; traits that come from their parents and family environment. This article exemplifies how it all comes together to create a foundation for Azzi and all she has become. Kudos to the parents!

sun

Reaction Score
According to published sources, Azzi has an older brother named Thomas & 2 younger brothers Jon & Jose whom her parents adopted in 2011. Apparently they are/were cared for by the paternal grandmother.

Tim Fudd is not her biological father but is her adoptive father. Azzi met Tim when she was a year and a half old.

Reaction Score
This brings back memories of travelling to all of our son's games when he was in college. At times, especially after a loss , he wasn't that communicative or outwardly thrilled to have us there. He's 35 now and a month ago he told us how much it meant to him that we were always at his games and how he wants to be like that for his kids. At the time we hoped that was true and it's nice to have it confirmed a decade and a half later, Despite outward appearances he did appreciate it. I admire the Fudds and their priorities.

Reaction Score
Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing this with us and thanks to Azzi's parents for making these video logs. WBB programs across the country has some amazing parents and we are getting the chance to witness, not only some wonderful and talented players but also some wonderful & amazing parents. This is pretty amazing, and I am very thankful that we are getting the chance to experience, not all of their day-to-day experiences but a decent glance into their lives. Greatly appreciate families like the Fudds.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
According to published sources, Azzi has an older brother named Thomas & 2 younger brothers Jon & Jose whom her parents adopted in 2011. Apparently they are/were cared for by the paternal grandmother.

Tim Fudd is not her biological father but is her adoptive father. Azzi met Tim when she was a year and a half old.

It's unclear why you added this info? If to give more background to Azzi's family, then great. If to point something else out, then what was the purpose? I for one, was probably the last to know that Stevie's dad was her step, and it didn't matter at all. There are probably hundreds of other family facts of current and former players that I'll never know.

(on edit, did you know that the acronym for Azzi Fudd's name gets bleeped out? :D)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Katie's big issue on road trips seems to be Starbucks which don't offer her favorite java. These two are impressive with their two a days squeezed in. Great examples for their kids.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Having walked a mile in their shoes, I completely understand what they’re doing and why. It’s a one-time thing. You want to support your child and watch them play in person as often as possible. It’s not about the money it costs to follow them. You can always get more money. But you can never watch or be there for a game after it’s been played. We followed our son in high school, AAU, and college (Pacific).

That was 25 years ago. We have fond memories of those times. We’re glad we were able to share those experiences with him. He has told us many times how glad and proud he was that we were able to be there for him through the years and at all of the games (home and away) we were able to make. It’s hard to do when both parents are working full-time jobs, but well worth the sacrifice. :) Her parents have been there for her at every game in AAU and high school. Why would they not be there for her games in college? Duh!!! :confused:

I understand people's skepticism that does not have a child in college that's an athlete. You followed them in AAU and high school. Nothing changes because they're now playing in college. You continue to follow them, support them and attend as many games as you can. We also have two granddaughters that played softball. We never missed a game, be it at their home field or on the road, sometimes out of state. We were there. We had retired by then, so it was a lot easier.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Having walked a mile in their shoes, I completely understand what they’re doing and why. It’s a one time thing. You want to support them, and watch them play in person. It’s not about the money it costs to follow them. You can always get more money. But you can never watch or be there for a game after it’s been played. We followed our son in high school, AAU, and college.

That was 25 years ago. We have fond memories of those times. We’re glad we were able to share those experiences with him. He has told us many times how glad he was that we were able to be there for him through the years and at all of the games (home and away) we were able to make. It’s hard to do when both parents are working full-time jobs, but well worth the sacrifice.
Absolutely. Years ago, hubby and I had two kids in a two day soccer tourney in RI. We were from CT, and as the teams were late entries, we could not find a hotel room nearby, so we drove both days. We were coaching our daughter and cheering on our son, and that meant 10 games in two days. Exhausted? Yup. Worth it? Definitely. The ol' Monday greeting of "how was your weekend," or "how was your 3 day weekend" was always answered with "what weekend'. LOL

Reaction Score
Having walked a mile in their shoes, I completely understand what they’re doing and why. It’s a one-time thing. You want to support your child and watch them play in person as often as possible. It’s not about the money it costs to follow them. You can always get more money. But you can never watch or be there for a game after it’s been played. We followed our son in high school, AAU, and college (Pacific).

That was 25 years ago. We have fond memories of those times. We’re glad we were able to share those experiences with him. He has told us many times how glad and proud he was that we were able to be there for him through the years and at all of the games (home and away) we were able to make. It’s hard to do when both parents are working full-time jobs, but well worth the sacrifice. :) Her parents have been there for her at every game in AAU and high school. Why would they not be there for her games in college? Duh!!! :confused:

Sorry, but this is too simplistic. As a single parent in this situation currently, money is definitely a factor. Getting more money for me equates to more debt.

Then there's having the ability to take time off from work to attend games. Some employers don't care no matter how much they say they are about family and work-life balance. I'm fortunate to have a boss who has looked the other way for me, but not everyone is that lucky.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This brings back memories of travelling to all of our son's games when he was in college. At times, especially after a loss , he wasn't that communicative or outwardly thrilled to have us there. He's 35 now and a month ago he told us how much it meant to him that we were always at his games and how he wants to be like that for his kids. At the time we hoped that was true and it's nice to have it confirmed a decade and a half later, Despite outward appearances he did appreciate it. I admire the Fudds and their priorities.
YES!!! As I said...if you've walked a mile in their shoes, you understand. It's a no-brainer. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sorry, but this is too simplistic. As a single parent in this situation currently, money is definitely a factor. Getting more money for me equates to more debt.

Then there's having the ability to take time off from work to attend games. Some employers don't care no matter how much they say they are about family and work-life balance. I'm fortunate to have a boss who has looked the other way for me, but not everyone is that lucky.
I appreciate your perspective. I'm speaking from OUR perspective, not yours. I understand our situation was not necessarily everyone else's. One size does not fit all here. As a parent of a student-athlete, you do what you can. I know that every parent is not able to do what we did. I wasn't suggesting that they could. I was sharing OUR experiences.

The Fudds appear to be financially able to follow Azzi around the country to watch and support her, good!!! I'm very happy to see that. Some of Azzi's teammate's parents are not able to follow the team as the Fudds do. Lou Lopez-Seneschal said during a post-game interview that her father (from Mexico) was in attendance, and saw her play that night for the first time.

During our son's senior year at Pacific, his roommate's mother (who was a working single parent) made every game on their schedule...home and away. There were some out-of-state road games (a tournament in the US Virgin Islands-she did) we were not able to make. She lived in Stockton, so home games for her were like going to the local market. Home games for us meant a road trip, as we live in Southern California. Most of their games were road trips for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I appreciate your perspective. I'm speaking from OUR perspective, not yours. I understand our situation was not necessarily everyone else's. One size does not fit all here. As a parent of a student-athlete, you do what you can. I know that every parent is not able to do what we did. I wasn't suggesting that they could. I was sharing OUR experiences.

The Fudds appear to be financially able to follow Azzi around the country to watch and support her, good!!! I'm very happy to see that. Some of Azzi's teammate's parents are not able to follow the team as the Fudds do. Lou Lopez-Seneschal said during a post-game interview that her father (from Mexico) was in attendance, and saw her play that night for the first time.

During our son's senior year at Pacific, his roommate's mother (who was a working single parent) made every game on their schedule...home and away. There were some out-of-state road games (a tournament in the US Virgin Islands-she did) we were not able to make. She lived in Stockton, so home games for her were no problem. Home games for us meant a road trip, as we live in Southern California. Most of their games were road trips for us.
Fair, however it didn't come across that way in how it was phrased.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I live in the next city over from the Fudds and have been watching Azzi since she was in 9th grade. I've met her parents a few times. I chatted with Tim after a high school game and spoke with both of them in the Bahamas last season and at the game in Newark. They were very cordial.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I live in the next city over from the Fudds and have been watching Azzi since she was in 9th grade. I've met her parents a few times. I chatted with Tim after a high school game and spoke with both of them in the Bahamas last season and at the game in Newark. They were very cordial.
They seem pretty down to earth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom